Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Dubrovniktravellady,

Where is the nearest post office to the docks where I could make a long distance call or where can I get a phone card to use in the public phones? I have to call my 7 year old granddaughter on her birthday Sunday, Nov. 6. Is the PO open on Sunday? Thanks for your help.

No our post office is not open on Sunday. You can buy a sim card at our local newsstands, not all of them are open on Sunday. If you have a skype account, you might trying to call her from an internet cafe. We do have a few public telephones scattered around the old town, but I have never used one so my advise may be limited.

Dubrovniktravelady,

Thank you for all the wonderful help you have given to so many of us! Many months ago someone asked about times for Catholic mass, and you suggested the Dominican monastery at 10:00 or 11:00. We will be in Dubrovnik on Sunday, November 7. Do you know if the schedule will still be the same then, or does it change for the winter months? Thanks!

No our post office is not open on Sunday. You can buy a sim card at our local newsstands, not all of them are open on Sunday. If you have a skype account, you might trying to call her from an internet cafe. We do have a few public telephones scattered around the old town, but I have never used one so my advise may be limited.

Although our season does begin limited hours in the historical sites, the churches still have mass all year. Besides the Dominican, there is the Franciscan Monastery and our Cathedral which is very close to Sveti Vlaho church (Saint Blaise our patron saint of the town. You will have no problems locating mass on Sunday. Do not miss the museum at the Dominican, it's very special.

Sorry quoted the wrong post in my reply.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Dear Dubrovniktravelady

We are arriving Dec 9 noon to 6pm on the Star Princess. Considering the weather, what would be our best tour options?

Can we still walk the wall, take the cable car, or Cabrio bus?

What would be the best tour options considering the time of year and about 4 hours for touring?

Thanks

Dear Dubrovniktravelady

We are arriving Dec 9 noon to 6pm on the Star Princess. Considering the weather, what would be our best tour options?

Can we still walk the wall, take the cable car, or Cabrio bus?

What would be the best tour options considering the time of year and about 4 hours for touring?

Thanks

Cabrio bus stopped running a few weeks ago, will not begin again until 01 May. You may want to walk the wall, times are 10am until 3pm. Cable car will be operating from 9am until 4pm, weather depending. Cable car will not operate if our strong north winds are blowing. Most of our historical and cultural museums are open from 9am until 3-4pm daily. Sunset will be about 4:15pm on 09 December, you will be limited but do enjoy your time here.

DubrovnikTravelLady:

I will be in Dubronik on December 9, coming on the Star Princess. We will be in port from 12 noon to 6 pm. I have read your advice for many months. Please comment on my plans:

If sunny

Taxi (10 euros) to cable car [80 kn, credit card], enter city wall [use credit card] at Ploce, walk part way, return to Ploce, Take Placa and walk to Pile, bus #8 back to ship. Perhaps Cafe Buža.

If rainy

Bus #8 [10 kn] to Pile gate, do museums and churches along Placa.

Some questions:

Where are the internet cafes?

Can I walk clockwise on the City Walls?

How far is the Posta Gruz bus station from Berth No. 11?

Many thanks for your help.

DubrovnikTravelLady:

I will be in Dubronik on December 9, coming on the Star Princess. We will be in port from 12 noon to 6 pm. I have read your advice for many months. Please comment on my plans:

If sunny

Taxi (10 euros) to cable car [80 kn, credit card], enter city wall [use credit card] at Ploce, walk part way, return to Ploce, Take Placa and walk to Pile, bus #8 back to ship. Perhaps Cafe Buža.

If rainy

Bus #8 [10 kn] to Pile gate, do museums and churches along Placa.

Some questions:

Where are the internet cafes?

Can I walk clockwise on the City Walls?

How far is the Posta Gruz bus station from Berth No. 11?

Many thanks for your help.

The city wall traffic only runs counter clockwise, entering at Ploce will begin the land side of the wall. Once you begin, it's best to continue to the half way point which would be Pile area. If you only want to do the sea side it is best to enter at Pile and exit at Ploce. By the way the only entrance which accepts credit cards is at Pile main ticket center.

On the Ploce walk, you will find the Dominican Monastery and Museum, which is one of my favorites. Near the clock tower is Sponza Palace with the video of the shelling of the old town during the 1991 homeland war. Just a few steps from Sponza is the Rectors Palace and Saint Blaise church our patron saint. Going to be posting a story about the Dominican on my blog in the next few days.

There are several internet cafes all over the old town, none of them located directly on the Stradun but all on the side streets.

Taxi to the cable car will be a bit more than 10 Euros, that is the fare to Pile area, Ploce is normally about 11 Euros.

Main bus station is located just adjacent to the dock, but the local buses do not run from there. They are only on the main drag which runs along side of the dock.

Thanks DubrovnikTravelLady

Does the #8 bus run on Obala Ivana Pavia II or Jadranska Costa?

Thanks again.

Neither. If you're planning on taking #8 to the cable car, you can - however the stop in the Gruz is not easy to locate. From Pile area to return to harbor it is not the best choice. You should take 1A, 1B or 1C to reach the harbor from Pile.

Forgot to mention on earlier post, doubt very much you will find either of the 2 Buza bars open in December.

We'll be returning to Dubrovnik next week and I would like to ride the cable car for the view.

My wife would be very reluctant to join me. Out of necessity, she did overcome her fears and rode the cable car at Santorini. Are they in any way comparable?

Alternatively, is there a suitable place at or near the base station where she could wait while I indulge myself? Something like a cafe would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

We'll be returning to Dubrovnik next week and I would like to ride the cable car for the view.

My wife would be very reluctant to join me. Out of necessity, she did overcome her fears and rode the cable car at Santorini. Are they in any way comparable?

Alternatively, is there a suitable place at or near the base station where she could wait while I indulge myself? Something like a cafe would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

There is a pizza joint (do not eat there) close to the bottom steps, but it is well hidden in the trees. She could wait for you at the Ploce gate where she will find a better selection of places to sit and have a coffee. I also do not care much for heights and have no problem in the cable car, I just look towards the horizon as it travels up the mountain. It is only a 4 minute ride...she might be able to do it.

There is a pizza joint (do not eat there) close to the bottom steps, but it is well hidden in the trees. She could wait for you at the Ploce gate where she will find a better selection of places to sit and have a coffee. I also do not care much for heights and have no problem in the cable car, I just look towards the horizon as it travels up the mountain. It is only a 4 minute ride...she might be able to do it.

Thanks once again for your very timely and useful advice. You deserve an award for the aid you've provided to posters on this thread, aid which has helped many of us get the most out of our stay.

I doubt my wife will gladly attempt the cable car but a cafe near the Ploce Gate sounds fine. A year ago, she enjoyed cups of tea and people watching on the Stradun while I hiked the walls. We both were happy.

Thanks again. Some day I hope our paths cross so I can thank you personally

Thanks once again for your very timely and useful advice. You deserve an award for the aid you've provided to posters on this thread, aid which has helped many of us get the most out of our stay.

I doubt my wife will gladly attempt the cable car but a cafe near the Ploce Gate sounds fine. A year ago, she enjoyed cups of tea and people watching on the Stradun while I hiked the walls. We both were happy.

I can always sit and join your wife for a cup of coffee when you are in town next week. Let me know when and where, I will be there.

Thanks for the info. hopefully the weather will cooperate

Dave

Weather here has been fantastic, sunny and warm. Normally November is our wettest month, but this year has been a bit different. End of the month, who knows! Be prepared for warm and sunny or wet and cold.

Enjoy your time here.

Weather here has been fantastic, sunny and warm. Normally November is our wettest month, but this year has been a bit different. End of the month, who knows! Be prepared for warm and sunny or wet and cold.

Enjoy your time here.

Thank you. We have layers and umbrellas.

Dave

I have another possibility for you. We were in Dubrovnik the first of October. We hooked up with another couple on our cruise and hired a taxi for a half day tour. We went to the bridge and to the cable car overlook but did not ride the cable car. We also went to Cavtat, a charming resort town. We walked through town and up to the top of the hill to a family mausoleum and to the city's cemetary. We paid by the hour and split the cost so it cost 100 euros per couple. I would advise setting a price for where you want to go before getting in the cab. If not, be aware of the cost per hour and how long you want to tour. We were dropped off at the Pile gate and walked the sea side of the wall. Stunning. We loved seeing both places.

I have another possibility for you. We were in Dubrovnik the first of October. We hooked up with another couple on our cruise and hired a taxi for a half day tour. We went to the bridge and to the cable car overlook but did not ride the cable car. We also went to Cavtat, a charming resort town. We walked through town and up to the top of the hill to a family mausoleum and to the city's cemetary. We paid by the hour and split the cost so it cost 100 euros per couple. I would advise setting a price for where you want to go before getting in the cab. If not, be aware of the cost per hour and how long you want to tour. We were dropped off at the Pile gate and walked the sea side of the wall. Stunning. We loved seeing both places.

You could arrange this or a similar tour in advance with Taxi Dubrovnik dot com and get people from your RollCall to share with your. Five of us had

a wonderful time with Mikos of this company; we went to the bridge, to the top of the cable car to look at the view, to Cavtat for about an hour and then we had lunch in an old inn in the countryside,then we came back to Dubrovnik to tour.

Just returned a few days ago from our cruise that included a stop in Dubrovnik. Cunard supplied a shuttle bus from the port to the Pile Gate. After seeing others pictures of the wall, that was one of the things that I was determined to do. The steps at the Pile Gate had me a little concerned because of knee problems but I was determined. I made it up with a little huffing and puffing but otherwise no trouble. After that, there were many steps but there were also many places to rest and a few places to buy a drink if required, we brought our own bottles of water. The views are amazing but my photography is not up to the level that I've seen on here so I won't be posting any pictures. We took our time, close to three hours on the wall. After that we wandered around the old town and stopped for lunch at Arka. We very much enjoyed our time there and could imagine spending much more time there after retirement.

Dubrovniktravelady, thank you for all your help and information. It was very helpful in our planning. Unfortunatly we didn't have the time and energy to visit any museums after the wall and shopping.

Russ

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

We just returned from 28 days on the Carnival Magic which included a stop in Dubrovnik in late October. During the months before our cruise, I read many of your posts which had wonderful information about your country. I just want to say that we were blown away by the beauty of Dubrovnik! We had met several crew members on our ship from Croatia and each of them kept telling us that they thought Dubrovnik would be our favorite port. They all wanted to hear about what we thought once we returned to the ship. All I can say is that Dubrovnik, Croatia is now my favorite place in the entire world!!!

We took your advice and were able to get a sufficient amount of Croatian Kuna. Even though we live in the Houston, Texas area and our bank could get Kuna, we found it would take several weeks to get the order. Our son had gone to school with a young man from Croatia and his family happened to have some Kuna on hand which they sold to us at the current exchange rate, which was great. We were very glad to have the Kuna...it made things easier for us. We had purchased the Carnival tour to take the walk along the wall, and with the Kuna we were able to tip our guide, have coins for the restroom attendant along the wall, buy a few souvenirs, and some wonderful gelato, etc. We absolutely loved the walk along the wall. Our guide kept saying..."now the next stop will be the most beautiful place for pictures", well every single stop was the most beautiful place for pictures...Croatia is absolutely stunning! I didn't want to leave! Our guide was a nice young man that lived in town...I don't recall his name at the moment, but he was very knowledgeable and friendly. In fact, everyone we met in Croatia was very friendly--considering your entire city is being invaded by thousands of tourists. In addition to the walk around the wall which we highly recommend, we also visited the Maritime Museum, the pharmacy, the beautiful church near the fountain, and spent a lot of time walking around your lovely town. We now want to book the Carnival Breeze so we can return to Dubrovanik next year.

Thanks again, you are truly a wonderful ambassador for Dubrovnik. I may have some questions for you about Dubrovnik as we start to plan our cruise next year on the Carnival Breeze. Thank you so much for taking your time to answer everyone's questions.

Sherrie:)

Edited by seabrookcruiser

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

We just returned from 28 days on the Carnival Magic which included a stop in Dubrovnik in late October. During the months before our cruise, I read many of your posts which had wonderful information about your country. I just want to say that we were blown away by the beauty of Dubrovnik! We had met several crew members on our ship from Croatia and each of them kept telling us that they thought Dubrovnik would be our favorite port. They all wanted to hear about what we thought once we returned to the ship. All I can say is that Dubrovnik, Croatia is now my favorite place in the entire world!!!

We took your advice and were able to get a sufficient amount of Croatian Kuna. Even though we live in the Houston, Texas area and our bank could get Kuna, we found it would take several weeks to get the order. Our son had gone to school with a young man from Croatia and his family happened to have some Kuna on hand which they sold to us at the current exchange rate, which was great. We were very glad to have the Kuna...it made things easier for us. We had purchased the Carnival tour to take the walk along the wall, and with the Kuna we were able to tip our guide, have coins for the restroom attendant along the wall, buy a few souvenirs, and some wonderful gelato, etc. We absolutely loved the walk along the wall. Our guide kept saying..."now the next stop will be the most beautiful place for pictures", well every single stop was the most beautiful place for pictures...Croatia is absolutely stunning! I didn't want to leave! Our guide was a nice young man that lived in town...I don't recall his name at the moment, but he was very knowledgeable and friendly. In fact, everyone we met in Croatia was very friendly--considering your entire city is being invaded by thousands of tourists. In addition to the walk around the wall which we highly recommend, we also visited the Maritime Museum, the pharmacy, the beautiful church near the fountain, and spent a lot of time walking around your lovely town. We now want to book the Carnival Breeze so we can return to Dubrovanik next year.

Thanks again, you are truly a wonderful ambassador for Dubrovnik. I may have some questions for you about Dubrovnik as we start to plan our cruise next year on the Carnival Breeze. Thank you so much for taking your time to answer everyone's questions.

Sherrie:)

Hvala (thank you), it is great when to hear how much you enjoyed my home. Dubrovnik itself is a piece of art and so special for me. Want to learn more about the old town, just follow my personal blog. I write about my love affair with the area, the historical sites and our cultural sites. I have not even begin to scratch the surface, much more to come. one of my favorite sites in the old town is the Dominican, next story.

Come back next year, you have only seen a few sites, there are many more.