NOLA - Getting from Hotel to Ship

We are staying at Ramada Inn on Bourbon which is on Bourbon Street :o. I've never been to NOLA before but best I can tell the hotel is about in the middle of Bourbon Street half way between Canal and Esplanade.

Is it reasonable to think we can walk the morning of the cruise from the hotel to Cafe Du Monde at the French Market for breakfast? We'd get up early to do this of course. And then walk back to the hotel to collect our luggage to head for the ship?

Then is there any realistic way other than by taxi to get from the hotel to the ship? I do not think street cars run down Bourbon.

What would you estimate the cost of the taxi would be from our hotel to the ship?

We are staying at Ramada Inn on Bourbon which is on Bourbon Street :o. I've never been to NOLA before but best I can tell the hotel is about in the middle of Bourbon Street half way between Canal and Esplanade.

Is it reasonable to think we can walk the morning of the cruise from the hotel to Cafe Du Monde at the French Market for breakfast? We'd get up early to do this of course. And then walk back to the hotel to collect our luggage to head for the ship?

Then is there any realistic way other than by taxi to get from the hotel to the ship? I do not think street cars run down Bourbon.

What would you estimate the cost of the taxi would be from our hotel to the ship?

It would be an easy walk (~10 minutes or less) to Cafe Du Monde and is not to be missed. You won't forget those Beignets and that coffee.

I wouldn't recommend it but you could slep all of your luggage down to the Missippi river and catch the Riverfront streetcar that will take you to right in front of the Cruise Port. But you'll have to hike all of your luggage up those steps and the streetcars aren't exactly set up for people with luggage. But in theory it could be done. (http://www.norta.com/routes/) I believe that you would catch it at Jackson Square and get off at Thalia street where the cruise terminal is. I beleive that the Riverfront Streetcar runs about every 20 or 30 minutes.

In theory you could also walk to the cruise terminal from your hotel. It wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for your luggage. I have walked it myself. The best way in my opinion is to walk to the river and then walk along the river walk park to the cruise terminal. It would take about a hlf hour or so and is probably a mile or so.

Taxi estimated at $25 plus a tip. That's what I recommend since you'll have all that luggage.

I'll take your advise on the taxi to the pier. And I am so looking forward to Cafe Du Monde. It sounds like my cup of tea ...er, coffee! :D

And if you love oysters, don't miss Acme Oyster House!:D

Dianne

I'll take your advise on the taxi to the pier. And I am so looking forward to Cafe Du Monde. It sounds like my cup of tea ...er, coffee! :D

Make sure you allow plenty of time for breakfast. We showed up on a Sunday morning, probably about 10am, and the line was at least 100 people long. After waiting in line for 10 minutes and barely moving forward, we gave up. I'm not sure if that's the norm or not, but be prepared for a line and have time just in case.

We saw plenty of people with luggage on the streetcars, so if you've packed lightly, you wouldn't be out of place. We didn't try it since our hotel was near the Riverwalk mall and we just walked to the port from there. I didn't think it was very difficult, but if you have more than one suitcase each, or if they are heavy, I can see where it would be a problem.

They also have a cafe du monde inside the riverwalk. ( with outside dinning on the river also)

We gave the porters our luggage and walked to that one ate that one which is much closer to the ship. Worked out great... Oh im hungry now.

Wanda

They also have a cafe du monde inside the riverwalk. ( with outside dinning on the river also)

Well the secondary location (at the Riverfront mall) has the food, but they really lack the ambiance of the original (Jackson Square) location. It just isn't the same experience. I have been to both locations (perhaps too many times) and really love the Jackson Square location. The Riverfront Mall location is like a mall food court walk-up counter. It's just not the same.

Well the secondary location (at the Riverfront mall) has the food, but they really lack the ambiance of the original (Jackson Square) location. It just isn't the same experience. I have been to both locations (perhaps too many times) and really love the Jackson Square location. The Riverfront Mall location is like a mall food court walk-up counter. It's just not the same.

Have to agree with you. You can sip the drink and bite the beignets anywhere else in the world but it just doesn't taste the same as when you are surrounded by Jackson Square.

Dianne

We gave the porters our luggage and walked to that one ate that one which is much closer to the ship. Worked out great... Oh im hungry now.

Wanda

Also, the Cafe du Monde inside the Riverwalk is only open 9am-6pm (vs. Jackson Square is open 24/7). Just for reference to anyone considering that option.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Drury Inn and Suites and our taxi to the port was about $28 (including tax) for us and another couple travelling with us. On the return trip, our husbands didn't want to mess with a taxi so we walked back to the hotel. It wouldn't have been bad, but we were wearing flip flops, thinking we were taking a taxi.

Archived