Want to upgrade and get "new bookings only" pricing - possible?

flytoeat

We are in a C-1 on Solstice in June and would like to upgrade to a S-1. I am willing to pay a reasonable amount to do this. Pricing is normally double between the two categories and not something I would consider. However, the S-1 and S-2 categories show a lot of inventory right now and Celebrity is aggressively discounting these cabins but for new bookings only. If they would let me, I would pay the 50% premium to upgrade from my C-1. But alas, they say no. I would have to forfeit my deposit amount ($1800) by canceling and rebooking to get that pricing. Has anyone been successful in a similar situation? Any creative ideas? I am surprised they are not willing to take approximately $4000 in additional funds from me and then resell my S-1, thereby achieving the same objective for the company.

Unless they call you with an upsell, the cruiselines do not barter with their pricing...doesn't matter if it makes sense to you....they deal with thousands and thousands of passengers....what a mess it would be if they started this practice.

Celebrity is rigid with respect to "new bookings only" offers and I can't recall anyone posting that they've been successful in getting X to yield. You can visit Guest Relations and try for an upgrade once onboard but it's anyone's guess what the charge would be if, in fact, an S-1 were still available. Good luck.

We are in a C-1 on Solstice in June and would like to upgrade to a S-1. I am willing to pay a reasonable amount to do this. Pricing is normally double between the two categories and not something I would consider. However, the S-1 and S-2 categories show a lot of inventory right now and Celebrity is aggressively discounting these cabins but for new bookings only. If they would let me, I would pay the 50% premium to upgrade from my C-1. But alas, they say no. I would have to forfeit my deposit amount ($1800) by canceling and rebooking to get that pricing. Has anyone been successful in a similar situation? Any creative ideas? I am surprised they are not willing to take approximately $4000 in additional funds from me and then resell my S-1, thereby achieving the same objective for the company.

There have been a number of posts from people within the past few months who were quite upset because they paid considerably more for a balcony cabin than the current new booking price for a suite and Celebrity wouldn't do anything for them.

I personally think that it would have been more prudent for Celebrity to give free upgrades to people with existing reservations and then offer those very low new booking rates for the other cabins. This would make people feel that it is still a win win situation to book early, the way it use to be.

Last week we booked a cruise for next year on a different cruise line because the prices for the Celebrity Cruise we were looking at are significantly higher than their current cruise prices and, based on Celebrity's recent practices, I am quite confident that someone who books that same cruise at the last minute will get a much better deal than we would by booking it now.

Based on this practice, I think I am going to cancel my Solstice cruise and just wait for a great deal to come out in the next few months--it is so unfair to punish people who commit early--they will end up biting themselves in the *** by doing this.

One option you might consider, if the availability if the SS holds, is to upgrade at the pier for a fraction of what they are asking now. On our last cruise, we wanted to upgrade to CC--it was $600/pp. At the pier/onboard, I was able to upgrade for $200/pp. Just check with the Pier Coordinator as soon as you arrive!

Cathy

Booking a cruise, and getting a low, fair price is sometimes based upon the itinerary. The Transatlantics usually have best prices on the day that particular itinerary opens. But other cruises, will have higher fares, that fall, when the ship fails to fill the ship.

I prefer to book my cabin of choice...and monitor the fares for reductions.

There are always lots of different opinions to this issue, and I'll add mine.

In 2007 we booked a 7-night Royal Caribbean sailing and after final payment noticed an 11-night Infinity "new bookings only" cruise that was sailing during the same time frame as RCCL. With the help of our TA, she was able to get us switched from RCCL to Infinty, but not without first going through general reservations (where we knew the answer would be 'no'), then to Customer Relations, and finally the Conflict Resolution Department. Throughout the process, the TA kept hammering away that the 11-night sailing was priced higher than the 7-nighter, thus more revenue in RCCL/Celebrity's pocket. Maybe it was just luck, but it worked. I will add it was not a fight at all once we reached the 3rd level where logic seemed to dictate over policy. Just our experience....

IMO, Celebrity should allow upgrading for additional revenue from existing bookings to "new bookings only" prices such as the OP is asking. In this economy, it's all about revenue and I don't think they should turn away people looking to fork over additional money. As I said, the Conflict Resolution Dept seemed to be able to separate logic from policy when we dealt with them.

As to upgrading at embarkation, we've had very good luck doing this with Celebrity, both during good economies (seemingly full ships) and bad (lots of empty cabins/suites). However the disclaimer is to always book the category you're content sail in, yada, yada, yada.

To the OP, good luck with this and keep us posted with your progress.

IMO, Celebrity should allow upgrading for additional revenue from existing bookings to "new bookings only" prices such as the OP is asking. In this economy, it's all about revenue and I don't think they should turn away people looking to fork over additional money. As I said, the Conflict Resolution Dept seemed to be able to separate logic from policy when we dealt with them.

Your post makes lots of sense, especially since there was a time (until not too long ago) when cruise lines rewarded early bookings with a guarantee that if the price fell prior to sailing, the lower price would be honored. Unfortunately all that has changed and those who book early now often find themselves paying (sometimes) substantially more than latecomers. Your suggestion that X should being willing to upgrade for additional revenue from existing bookings to new bookings only prices is reasonable, but it still leaves those who booked early and would like to benefit from the lower prices available to new reservations in the lurch. For what it's worth, I sympathize with both pax who book early and feel shortchanged when the price drops as the sail date approaches and the cruise lines that are simply trying to fill unsold cabins to remain profitable. Unfortunately, I think things will likely remain this way for a while, since many people seem to be waiting to book in order to take advantage of the 'fire sales' cruise lines have been offering to last minute pax.

There are always lots of different opinions to this issue, and I'll add mine.

In 2007 we booked a 7-night Royal Caribbean sailing and after final payment noticed an 11-night Infinity "new bookings only" cruise that was sailing during the same time frame as RCCL. With the help of our TA, she was able to get us switched from RCCL to Infinty, but not without first going through general reservations (where we knew the answer would be 'no'), then to Customer Relations, and finally the Conflict Resolution Department. Throughout the process, the TA kept hammering away that the 11-night sailing was priced higher than the 7-nighter, thus more revenue in RCCL/Celebrity's pocket. Maybe it was just luck, but it worked. I will add it was not a fight at all once we reached the 3rd level where logic seemed to dictate over policy. Just our experience....

As to upgrading at embarkation, we've had very good luck doing this with Celebrity, both during good economies (seemingly full ships) and bad (lots of empty cabins/suites). However the disclaimer is to always book the category you're content sail in, yada, yada, yada.

To the OP, good luck with this and keep us posted with your progress.

Thanks for the helpful post. I did as you suggested only to be told "there is no conflict resolution department." Guest relations just repeated "I'm sorry there is nothing we can do." I wonder if a travel agent with a lot of clout could get this done?

Someone suggested I purchase the Celebrity insurance policy for approx $500 and then use the cancel for any reason provision, getting back 75% of the deposit amount as a credit. That would save me about $1000 if I applied it to a future cruise but seems like a lot of hoops to jump through.

Thanks for the helpful post. I did as you suggested only to be told "there is no conflict resolution department." Guest relations just repeated "I'm sorry there is nothing we can do." I wonder if a travel agent with a lot of clout could get this done?

Someone suggested I purchase the Celebrity insurance policy for approx $500 and then use the cancel for any reason provision, getting back 75% of the deposit amount as a credit. That would save me about $1000 if I applied it to a future cruise but seems like a lot of hoops to jump through.

Actually, the Resolution Dept was on the Royal Caribbean side, so I guess Celebrity doesn't have their own seperate department. But in our case, the lone RCCL Resolution Dept was able to handle the issue on both sides since our cruise involved both products.

You cannot cancel a cruise and rebook the same cruise as a new booking to get the new booking special. The fine print specifically contains this info.

One of the disadvantages to waiting for a new booking special (the Xciting Deals), is that not all cruises will be sold in an Xciting Deal and not all categories or desirable cabins within a category are available. We use the new booking specials as a chance to do an extra cruise that isn't our yearly planned cruise (which we normally book as soon as bookings open).

For a cruise that we really want to do - like our every other year transatlantic with a lot of sea days, we book very early to get the cabin we want.

what country do you live in? i know there are different rules outside the united states. i thought a full refund was allowed up till your final payment.

later,

ezemoney

Usually a new booking special is offered after final payment to sell off the remaining cabins. When we booked one of these Xciting Deals (new booking specials) we had to pay the full amount of the cruise at the time of booking - not just a deposit since it was past final payment date.

And the OP's cruise is in June.

Your post makes lots of sense, especially since there was a time (until not too long ago) when cruise lines rewarded early bookings with a guarantee that if the price fell prior to sailing, the lower price would be honored. Unfortunately all that has changed and those who book early now often find themselves paying (sometimes) substantially more than latecomers.
Actually, Celebrity does this -- and in fact they even advertise it on their site now. HOWEVER, the problem here is the specials they run (Tuesday-only or otherwise) which are for new bookings only. If the normal price on their website had dropped, you'd still be entitled to it. And I'm not sure that the low price guarantee does anything for someone who wants to upgrade, even if it's a normal price on their site.

Even if the fine print says that you can not cancel and then rebook in order to take advantage of a "new booking special," I wonder if anyone has considered canceling and then having one's spouse or partner rebook under their name with a different agency, with you obviously as co-occupant. In fact, I would try it in the opposite order, first trying to book in spouse's/partner's name, and if that goes through then canceling first booking.

It is always interesting to read contributor's ideas about how the cruise line could make more money if they changed a certain policy. However, I have to wonder if people realize that these large corporations have a slew of MBA's who are looking at options all the time: what would the implications be if we did "p" rather than "q"? So it is exceedingly likely that the cruise line has already considered reasonable alternatives and concluded that, for one reason or another, it is not in the long term interest of the company. IMO, a more interesting speculation is why they have continued this or that customer-unfriendly policy, assuming that making money by changing it has almost certainly been considered.

Bill

Even if the fine print says that you can not cancel and then rebook in order to take advantage of a "new booking special," I wonder if anyone has considered canceling and then having one's spouse or partner rebook under their name with a different agency, with you obviously as co-occupant. In fact, I would try it in the opposite order, first trying to book in spouse's/partner's name, and if that goes through then canceling first booking.

It is always interesting to read contributor's ideas about how the cruise line could make more money if they changed a certain policy. However, I have to wonder if people realize that these large corporations have a slew of MBA's who are looking at options all the time: what would the implications be if we did "p" rather than "q"? So it is exceedingly likely that the cruise line has already considered reasonable alternatives and concluded that, for one reason or another, it is not in the long term interest of the company. IMO, a more interesting speculation is why they have continued this or that customer-unfriendly policy, assuming that making money by changing it has almost certainly been considered.

Bill

You clearly can cancel and rebook a "new bookings only" reservation, paying the penalty for cancelation. A poster above pointed out you cannot do this and claim the loss under a cancel for any reason insurance policy.

I still have not given up on this and have utilized the services of an experienced travel agent who does a lot of business with RCCL/Celebrity (top 10 agent in annual sales for several years). She agrees that Celebrity is not likely to sell 20 S-1 and S-2 cabins for a Europe cruise next month. We'll see what happens next Tuesday when they offer them again for "new bookings only". They did not move any S-1 and S-2 cabins this week for their Tuesday 'new bookings only" promotion.

We'll see what happens next Tuesday when they offer them again for "new bookings only". They did not move any S-1 and S-2 cabins this week for their Tuesday 'new bookings only" promotion.

And I assume either you and/or your TA know you can view what sailings will be on sale next Tuesday at some point later today. Generally, the Tuesday sales are announced the Thursday prior. The link below is for this past Tuesday's sale, however it will probably be updated sometime today for next week.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/exciting_deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

Bill

When you book, you book the occupants of the cabin - not just one person's name is on the reservation - all cabin occupants are.

You clearly can cancel and rebook a "new bookings only" reservation, paying the penalty for cancelation. A poster above pointed out you cannot do this and claim the loss under a cancel for any reason insurance policy.

According to other threads on this issue, you cannot cancel and rebook a new booking special for the same cruise. I believe someone tried cancelling and paying the penalty as the cost was so low but was unable to do so.

I still have not given up on this and have utilized the services of an experienced travel agent who does a lot of business with RCCL/Celebrity (top 10 agent in annual sales for several years). She agrees that Celebrity is not likely to sell 20 S-1 and S-2 cabins for a Europe cruise next month. We'll see what happens next Tuesday when they offer them again for "new bookings only". They did not move any S-1 and S-2 cabins this week for their Tuesday 'new bookings only" promotion.

Umm sorry...you cannot cancel and rebook..I forgot the exact sale last year, but many people went ahead and cancelled with one agency, and booked with another to try to get around the system. Imagine the surprise, when they went to board and were told they had to pay the differece....I work for a very large agency, and we had clients (many) called as first time reservations...they were quite upset to find their ideas didn't work....bottom line, it does not make any difference if you cancel and rebook with another agency.....the system has your names and reservations... and it doesn't make any difference is you use a husbands or wifes name....what ever names are on the booking are flagged in the systems....

Umm sorry...you cannot cancel and rebook..I forgot the exact sale last year, but many people went ahead and cancelled with one agency, and booked with another to try to get around the system. Imagine the surprise, when they went to board and were told they had to pay the differece....I work for a very large agency, and we had clients (many) called as first time reservations...they were quite upset to find their ideas didn't work....bottom line, it does not make any difference if you cancel and rebook with another agency.....the system has your names and reservations... and it doesn't make any difference is you use a husbands or wifes name....what ever names are on the booking are flagged in the systems....

Interesting...I was told that was an option by two separate CSRs, including one in guest relations. I could cancel and rebook but I would forfeit my $1800 deposit. But I'll certainly defer to those that have first hand knowledge.

And I assume either you and/or your TA know you can view what sailings will be on sale next Tuesday at some point later today. Generally, the Tuesday sales are announced the Thursday prior. The link below is for this past Tuesday's sale, however it will probably be updated sometime today for next week.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/exciting_deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

Thank you for that link.

Actually, Celebrity does this -- and in fact they even advertise it on their site now. HOWEVER, the problem here is the specials they run (Tuesday-only or otherwise) which are for new bookings only. If the normal price on their website had dropped, you'd still be entitled to it. And I'm not sure that the low price guarantee does anything for someone who wants to upgrade, even if it's a normal price on their site.

Yes, I'm aware of that policy and have on several occasions been the beneficiary of it. I guess I wasn't clear in referencing the 'new bookings only' policy which clearly excludes early bookings which, in an earlier time, were guaranteed the lowest fares - specials or otherwise.

I realize that if someone cancels a reservation and then rebooks it, the cabin they originally booked can be booked by someone else in the interim. However, I am having trouble understanding why a person can't cancel a reservation, especially if it is outside the penalty period, and then book it as a new reservation with a different booking number at the current price. Especially considering the fact that some people will be annoyed enough to cancel their reservation, get a refund, and then book their cruise with a different cruise line. Not only would Celebrity lose reservations that way, the people who jumped ship might discover that they like the other cruise line better.

No "exciting deals" for next Tuesday for my cruise, only specials for Infinity in July in Alaska. Maybe we'll see an open sale. 7 of 14 S-1's unsold; 14 of 30 S-2's unsold - a lot of unrealized revenue.

Since Celebrity doesn't want to let me upgrade to a S-1 at the "new bookings only" price, I think I'm just going to create my own suite by opting for connecting C-1's at a lesser price. Just my opinion, but wouldn't they be better off financially taking my $4k to upgrade to a S-1 and have a couple of C-1's they're likely to sell (only 3 C-1's and C-2's left) ?

Thank you all for your great input on this topic. To the poster who suggested the MBAs and bean counters have it all figured out in Celebrity's best interest, I kindly suggest we look at the financial industry meltdown of the past year. There are a lot of really smart people who did some really dumb things.

Archived