Finally got my book "Cruise Confidential"

tammi0916

Just read this book over the week-end, lucky that my local library had it, great read! I don't know if I will ever order 2 entrees at dinner again!

Brian- please tell me you are working on another book, we need the rest of the story to be told!!!

I read the book and will never look at the employees the same. I will order 2 entrees though..only on lobster night. They are all pre-cooked and come out of the warmer. I did find on our last cruise...don't ask for it without the suace or side it is served with...you will still get it...now I know why!

My book hasn't arrived yet and I leave on Saturday. Pleassse tell me why we shouldn't order two entrees.

go ahead and order what you want. That is part of the fun of the cruise. All food is pre-cooked and put in warmers. There was a passage in the book about a lady who only wanted shrimp and at least six orders of it. She also wanted nothing else on the plate. That is where the problem comes in. Every dish is pre-plated and the waiters do not have the time to take off the sides, nor do the chefs want them to. I found this out on our last cruise when I did not want the sauce. I got the sauce any way . So have fun and eat what you want...I don't think you want 6 orders of anything. I wanted steak and lobster one night so I had to order 2 dinners to get it. Ths lobster came with shrimp which I did not want, so I gave it to my brother-in-law.

have FUN!!!!

There was a passage in the book about a lady who only wanted shrimp and at least six orders of it. She also wanted nothing else on the plate. That is where the problem comes in. Every dish is pre-plated and the waiters do not have the time to take off the sides, nor do the chefs want them to.

Yeah, that is just flat wrong!

go ahead and order what you want. That is part of the fun of the cruise. All food is pre-cooked and put in warmers. There was a passage in the book about a lady who only wanted shrimp and at least six orders of it. She also wanted nothing else on the plate. That is where the problem comes in. Every dish is pre-plated

Yes, we are often encouraged to order more than one entree (by the waiter) to try different things. That story from the book was priceless and makes you want to apologize for humanity. YIKES is all I can say.

I will certainly look at the wait staff in a different light, knowing not only the time constraints and other waiters stealing their set-ups, but the 15-20 days sometimes worked to accommodate all the buffets and MDR sessions made it easy to understand why most people can't take it. I don't go to midnight buffet and understand that many ships have stopped that, so that's a relief, actually.

Added to say: I really like sampling the starters and soups and will often take two of those. Rarely take two entrees but certainly will if and when I feel like it. Sometimes it is just too hard to decide.

I've only cruised with Carnival once and mainly go with Royal Caribbean, but I am glad I read this book. It's the same stuff no matter which cruise line you go with. I read it last week on my cruise on the Mariner of the Seas and got it delivered right away on my Kindle. It makes me realize how hard they work.

ABSOLUTELY order what you want. Ships have great food, and that is a huge part of the joy of cruising. It's just those who order six of everything that are a nightmare, and invariably they are folks who are demanding in every other little thing and probably cheap to boot. 99% of guests are great.

Great book! We were on the Conquest around the same time you were... We sailed out of Gulfport and I remember the "singing" Matre'd in the back resturant.

Looking forward to the next installment.....

OMG :eek: Just went on Amazon and it's selling used for $36-55 plus shipping.......and no our library in the mighty O-town doesn't have it - anywhere. Guess I'm gonna have to wait a bit for the next batch to come out of the oven!

Looking forward to it Brian!

(never doubt the power of the CC)

Ask your library about "inter-library loan". You have to ask at the desk. It's not advertised. I live in Phoenix and my copy is from the library in Corpus Christi, TX.

GOOD MORNING Readers!!!!

I am totally enjoying this book!! I can't believe how much I want to read it from cover to cover and be a part of it all!!! But I'm savoring it and reading slowly...

I just got off the CONQUEST a month ago and feel like I'm wandering the ship with David. Oh, how I want to sneak into the crew's quarters, just to see this "other life" on board!!!

I am in love with David's writing style and the subject of his book. I echo the others on this thread and ask... ENCORE ENCORE!!!

The things I've learned... the respect I've gained...

It's a love story and a glimpse of life! David you have a gift of captivation and wordsmithing!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

ABSOLUTELY order what you want. Ships have great food, and that is a huge part of the joy of cruising. It's just those who order six of everything that are a nightmare, and invariably they are folks who are demanding in every other little thing and probably cheap to boot. 99% of guests are great.

Thanks Brian. Can't wait to get the book.

Good Morning Tammi---still waiting for ladysail2 home address. I emailed her twice, maybe my e-mail did not go through, it didn't come back, so hopefully she will see this and let me know.

Have a good day, kmbb

Good Morning Tammi---still waiting for ladysail2 home address. I emailed her twice, maybe my e-mail did not go through, it didn't come back, so hopefully she will see this and let me know.

Have a good day, kmbb

I guess those emails went into cyperspace...I've responded now...so thank again for offering the book!! I'm looking forward to the good read! :D

Joyce

I agree and he does seem so open to chatting with us and on Facebook. I would sign on in a heartbeat!

I haven't joined Facebook, but looks like I need to do that.

As for a Q&A with Brian here, I think that's an awesome idea! Mods, are you paying attention?? Let's get this done! :D

Is anyone still looking for this book? I am willing to ship it to someone so we can keep the love going!! :p:p No, seriously mostly so that we can let others know just how the other half lives and works on a cruise ship :)

Archived