Gangway in ports

LindaKE

Is it difficult getting a rollator up or down the gangway in ports? I'm used to hanging on to the rail with one hand and pulling myself on it while I use the cane with the other hand. This will be my first time taking my rollator, so I'm encountering all kinds of questions: "How will I do that?"

Is it difficult getting a rollator up or down the gangway in ports? I'm used to hanging on to the rail with one hand and pulling myself on it while I use the cane with the other hand. This will be my first time taking my rollator, so I'm encountering all kinds of questions: "How will I do that?"

How hard or easy it will be to get on and off the ship will depend entirely on the tides -- how steep the gangway is to the shore (and back) is related to how high the water is when the ship arrives and docks there. Do you have someone travelling with you? I'd suggest they accompany you, ready to grab on to you (or the rollator) if you lose control, particularly when you're not experienced using it!

the advice above is very good and you should have someone with you - even the crew members at the gangway will help you if you ask. You have to keep in mind that not all gangways are a smooth gentle slope; they often consist of steps up and down depending on the tide and they type of gangway used. It seems the best bet for you in either case would be to hand your rollator to someone to carry down the gangway while you go down, holding on to the railings on both sides of the gangway. Then have them hand you your rollator at the bottom of the gangway:)

I have used a rollator for many years. I hope yours has hand brakes. When I go down a ramp (gangway or otherwise) I push the rollator slightly ahead of me and then hold the brakes. With the wheels stopped I take a step or two and then repeat the process. I got my rollator from the VA and they required that I have one lesson with a PT in how to use it. This was invaluable as I was shown how to handle both ramps and steps. Now that I have progressed to a scooter I am a big advocate of being evaluated by a PT to get the right equipment.

I let the crew take my rollator up ahead of me and I hold onto the rails to get on or off the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came back from my first time using a rollator on a cruise. All the suggestions so far are on the money. How you get off the ship will depend on your level of disability, needs, tides,etc. I found I was able to go down the ramps using the rollator, breaking occasionally if it was steep going down. Each time a ship staff person was right there standing in front of me ( if I needed it) to make sure I didn't go flying. Every gangway that ended in stairs also had a ramp access for those who needed it.

The toughest part (but not very tough) was the occasional rises/bumps on the ramp-you may need to lift or tilt your rollator to get over them.

FYI, I was traveling with my elderly mother ( but I was the one using the rollator) and found people everywhere were very helpful-including other cruisers with helping me get my rollator on and off shuttle buses, tour vans/buses,etc.

Try not to worry too much-it will work out. Have a great trip.

I just returned from a 2 week full transit through the Panama Cannel in a wheel chair on the Sea Princess. They were very good with letting wheelchairs, walkers, etc. use shorter less slanted ways off the ship. Some of the tour busses lowered there stairs so that it would be easier to step up into. I think you will have a great time. Joan

If you find you can't navigate the ramp with the rollator, staff will assist you off in a w/c and then you can take over at the bottom witth the rollator.( We saw this done ). Just ask. Do not do anything you are uncomfortable with trying. Not worth the risk of falling.

A person with a rollator (we call them walkers in Canada) may want to consider embarking and disembarking in a wheelchair and have your travelling companion take the rollator with them....at least that is what we sometimes do with DW.

DW has a tilt-in-place, so she tilts back before starting down a steep gangway or ramp

- Richard

On a cruise a few years back, I failed to fasten the seatbelt on my power chair and almost tipped forward out of it on a steeply-sloped gangway. Lesson learned.

Archived