Dress Code Yet Again

kennysdad

Hi there. The P&O Brochures & website do indeed say that smart jeans (dark denim) are acceptable and I am sure you will not be the only person wearing them. I will not give my own personal opinion on that :). Enjoy.

Thanks,

We have to sail out of U.k. for this one and P&O and Cunard are the only cruises I could find. And out of the two, P&O is the least formal...

I will still look smart, but wear a suit and tie all year...

Thanks,

We have to sail out of U.k. for this one and P&O and Cunard are the only cruises I could find. And out of the two, P&O is the least formal...

I will still look smart, but wear a suit and tie all year...

Celebrity

Fred Olsen

Royal Carribean

All cruise out of the UK. Add Ocean Village for a short time.

Celebrity

Fred Olsen

Royal Carribean

All cruise out of the UK. Add Ocean Village for a short time.

Celebritys smart casusal dress code does not include jeans according to their literature.

That is why I was surprised that P&O allowed jeans.

Gerry

Dark - not denim -jeans are acceptable, my hubby wears trousers and a striped shirt with a nice belt,trousers are also cooler in the evenings perhaps than heavyweight denim?

Some wear chinos also.

I think you will be ok in jeans on the casual nights, lots of people wore them on our cruise but usually wore smart jeans with a smart shirt.

Chris

Hi Chris I would like to know the definition of smart, it seems to be a word that means anything and everything. To my mind the words smart and jeans don't go together, jeans are alright to work in to do the garden in, but not to go out to a smart restaurant in. I don't know why men perfer to wear them instead of a casual pair of trousers. I don't know how old kennysdad is, but I firmly believe that men once they get beyond a certain age should not wear jeans on any account. I saw Tony Blair on TV wearing jeans when he was P.M, and he looked ridiculous.

Yes, I agree Sue, I don't really want to wear jeans in a hot climate. But saying that I have seen chaps in good quality dark jeans and smart brown shoes and you could only describe them as SMART casual

Gerry

My god Stopgo I agree with you dammit! :p

Heavyweight denim is fine in the day onboard on the sailing out of Southampton - and sailing back days over the bay, but at night in a nice restaurant, ?

I was told before I cruised the 1st time:

SMART CASUAL - What you would wear to a good restaurant on land... who wears jeans to a nice restaurant on land?

So nice to see you all getting on so well today!!!

Oceana's smart casual nights were very "casual" for quite a few people, but on the whole they looked a bit out of place as there were a lot of men in shirts and trousers and ladies in dresses.

What I found disappointing was the formal night dressing. A large number of ladies were wearing semi-formal dresses or even dresses more suitable for smart casual nights. I love to see the nice long dresses being worn - it makes it more of a special occasion.

Caryl

I guess there will never be agreement on this, its all down to personal opinion as to what is smart and what isn't. Regarding dresses on formal nights I think its down to what age group you belong to, as long has ladies have dresses on and not trousers or jeans I don't see a problem.

"So that's a lounge suit and tie for smart casual.

Okay. Now I know. "

Actually Laconia - there was a "lady" on Oceana who wore a suit and tie.

I was very rude and turned around to look twice!!!

At least she/he was much smarter than some of the other Tshirt/jeans brigade though!!! I approved!

Caryl

Jeans are not really my idea of suitable wear in a Fine Dining Retaurant but as previous correspondents say It now seems to be acceptable on Ventura on Casual nights.I would say however i do not think Tee Shirts/ Football Shirts would be acceptable.Good to hear that you have you Tux packed without it on Formal Nights you would stick out like a sore thumb.Anyway have a great cruise and have a drink for me in Metropolis.

Dark - not denim -jeans are acceptable, my hubby wears trousers and a striped shirt with a nice belt,trousers are also cooler in the evenings perhaps than heavyweight denim?

Some wear chinos also.

taken from P and O's website today

Smart Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers may be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim may be worn however we request that the following items are not worn: sportswear, e.g. trainers, football shirts and tracksuits. Bring your brightest clothes for our Tropical evenings. (Applies to all ships.)

so looks like denim is OK;)

Originally Posted by LibraLass41

Dark - not denim -jeans are acceptable,

I think I said dark denim is fine?, I meant by that, LIGHT cowboy style denim bluejeans are not . My hubbie has worn navy blue jeans or black jeans very occasionally but usually wears trousers or chinos as I said before as they are lighter and cooler when in hot areas such as Med, Caribbean and the Canaries:)

Hi Chris I would like to know the definition of smart, it seems to be a word that means anything and everything

I guess it depends what you call Jeans, I have several pairs I would call jeans which are not stone washed denim and look like trousers, but have the same stitching as jeans. In truth they look quite like tousers but are cut to fit like jeans. They are certainly not the sort of thing you would wear to do the garden.

I think maybe its a generation thing, maybe what I am calling smart jeans you would class as trousers. I don't have a clue what "slacks" are.

Lets face it when Carnival said "sports jacket" my imediate thought was people wearing Nike tracksuit tops. Although I knew this would not be the case.

You have to remember terminology differs greatly between generations and regions. I am guessing this is why P&O give examples in their dress codes.

Chris

Agree Chris

Thats what i was saying 'dark jeans' as described by pando are smart, light denim 'coyboy' jeans aren't really are they, more casual than 'smart casual' esp with designer holes in them.:rolleyes:

You Don't have to worry to much about how you look on cruises these days, people think it,s like the brochure pictures all sophisticated and

pearl necklaces. Far from that anyway don't get me started.

Archived