Port of Portland, Maine.....easy to do on our own? Or book excursion?

ChefPeg

Hi!

My family and I will be in Portland in September. I was wondering if it was possible to easily get to the city center and walk around, find a nice restaurant for a lobster lunch / dinner and shop a little.

I guess I am wondering if the pier where the ship docks is close to the city or would we need a taxi or book an excursion to get the city center, shopping, restaurants, sights?

Also can anyone recommend a good local seafood restaurant?

Thank you!

Unless it's changed, the ships dock right at the Old Port area of the city. It's the historic district where there are LOTS of great seafood restaurants and boutique shops. It's a very nice and easy place to walk.

I can't recommend any restaurants off the top of my head, maybe someone who lives there can give better input on that subject. (My sister lives in Portland so I've been there many times.)

By the way, the weather should be great. I've been there as late as Thanksgiving and the weather is usually good.

We were there in Sept 2001 and the pier was right downtown and an easy walk to different shops and restaurants. In the terminal, there was a diagram of a new cruise ship terminal that they planned to build. Not sure if they ever did, and if they did, if it's in the same location.

We were the first itinerary right after 9-11, and the ship was supposed to call there on Mondays, but our itinerary was changed around and we were there on Sunday, and it didn't seem like the downtown was expecting us. A lot of stores and a couple attractions were closed. I wanted to take the Duck tour, but their last one left at noon, before we even got off the ship.

Carnival offers an excursion that takes a small boat thru Casco Bay and visits Fort Scammel and then has a Lobster Bake on a " private island " for $ 99 per person.

Has anybody taken this Tour and what did they think ?

Are there alternatives for doing something similar on your own ?

Thanks for your input:)

The ships dock at the pier next to the Casco Bay Ferry Terminal. The City has not built the new ship terminal yet. It is a very easy walk from the ship to the shopping area. Off the ship and you are on Commercial St. Take a left and walk a block and you start to get into shops. Exchange St., which is about 2 blocks from the terminal is where many of the quaint little shops are. There are many good places to dine. Gilbert's Chowder House is on the same side of the street as the terminal. It's only 1/2 a block or so down from the terminal. They have awesome clam chowder. DiMillo's Floating restaurant is unique. I've heard great things about the Old Port Sea Grill which is on the corner of Commercial and Custom House. About a block from the terminal - other side of the street. For authentic fried shrimp, clams, etc. a good place is The Lobster Shack at Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth. You eat outside at picnic tables. I don't know if any of the tours that may go to Cape Eliz. to see Portland Headlight go to Two Lights or not.

Casco Bay Lines has boat btrips. I can't remember if they offer a lobster bake or not.

A long walk up town will take you to LL Bean factory outlet. 3 blocks up hill to Congress St. and then 4 blocks or so up Congress St. Definitely do able if you like to walk. There are also in city buses once you are on Congress St.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Archived