World Cruise 2006

mp17706

We are starting to think about 2006 and would like to hear from previous cruisers on RSSC. We have done 2 on Crystal which we thoroughly enjoyed but the cabins are larger on the Voyager and the wine with dinner is a definite plus.

My concerns are the quality of the lecturers and entertainers. What per cent of the passengers do the entire world cruise? Would like to hear from all that have had this experience. Of course we still do not know the routing as of this day but presumably it will be released soon.

The Voyager World Cruise for 2005 is sold out, if that gives you any indication. There are over 400 out of the possible 700 pax who are doing the entire cruise. We're just on for 2 segments from Singapore-Rome. Lecturers and on-board activities should be on a par with Crystal. Also, on the World cruises RSSC is all inclusive, including shipping of luggage, first class air, VISA service, $1,000-$2000 shipboard credit and many special events during the cruise for those who do the entire cruise. If you're thinking of the 2006 RSSC World Cruise I'd recommend that you keep a sharp eye out for its release and book early with a specific satateroom, not a cabin class guarantee. All of the standard staterooms C-H are the same size and layout. The H through F staterooms will go fast.

We are booked for the entire world cruise leaving 1/5 and returning 4/23. I would agree with everything Doug said and will be able to share more when we return. When we first started considering a world cruise we did look into and compare various cruiselines (all of which we would receive the "past passenger" discounts) and Radisson easily won out for what you get for the money! The fare includes lots of excursions (including some overnights) along the way too which is great.

Like Doug said though, you MUST book early! I thought we were booking very early yet still couldn't get "G Deck 6" - category we wanted. MANY passengers on the World Cruise book the following year's World Cruise while on board. I've been corresponding with people who have done this the past 3 years. I've never heard anything negative about Radisson's full world cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi--

The World Cruises on Crystal and on Radisson are different, just as the short cruises differ from each other on the two lines. (I have been on a 14-day portion of the last Radisson world cruise (2004) and on several 14-day cruises on Crystal). In general, if you are used to Crystal standards and don't mind Crystal's prices (or if price is just not a consideration), then I fear that you will probably be disappointed with Radisson.

There are several advantages to Radisson: (1) Lower prices; (2) Tipping included in cruise fare; (3) Single-seat dining (a very big plus!!); (4) interesting shore excursions, etc., included for full world cruise passengers (but not always of consistent quality).

I was disappointed about a couple of things with Radisson on that segment: (1) the quality of the dining room food was inconsistent, but usually below that of Crystal; (2) too much vibration, particularly in the aft portion of the Voyager and when sailing fast (unless this has been repaired, something you MUST find out before booking); (3) Radisson didn't come close to following its itinerary (a couple of times because of weather but every other time for no apparent reason) and didn't give much notice of itinerary changes; (4) lecturers were good in comparison to other cruise lines, but not up to Crystal's standards; (5) heavy last minute discounting by Radisson to fill its ships.

Hope that this, and comments from others, will help a little.

That's interesting that they needed to discount to fill the ship...?? For 2005 World Cruise, it's the opposite. It sold out quickly and has been waitlisted for quite awhile.

I am curious about the difference in price between the two lines??

I felt Radisson was a good value due to including gratuities, the bonus shore excursions, luggage pick-up and delivery, generous shipboard credit and full open bar 24/7 for all passengers regardless of whether they are on the full cruise or just one segment.

mp17706 and AJ Theodore, I am only on one leg of this cruise, the best one in my mind, from Aukland to Sydney, and I'm thrilled to be on it because I was on a waitlist to get on it. I am looking forward to it, I already know I love the really big cabins on Voyaager, I can dine with whomever I like when I want, my tips are included, I get all drinks and wine included, I get an excursion for my trip to see penquins, plus one with Virtuoso all day in Hobart. I have been on maybe a dozen RSSC cruises so far, so I know what to expect. Can't understand why I should switch over to another line now, unless there is a compelling reason. I only say this because I visit all boards and understand that both of you are Crystal fans.

Yes, this is correct...full open bar 24/7 for all passengers regardless of whether they're full world cruise or just one segment.

We are on the full world cruise and I was so thrilled on Saturday. Fed Ex came to our home with a very heavy box. It was a limited edition brass bell from Radisson with an inscribed plaque and a note from Mark Conroy, President and CEO of Radisson. Quite a memento which we'll always treasure. Wednesday our luggage (135 lbs. per person) is being picked up at our home. The next time we see it will be in our cabin. At the end of the cruise it is transported back to our home again. I love not hasseling with luggage! We have 7 large bags...so hard to know what to pack for 3 1/2 months! Tuesday (1/4/05), we're being limo'd to the St. Regis in Los Angeles for a gala dinner party and an overnight stay. The following day we're limo'd to San Pedro where we board the ship.

It won't be long now. If only I could bring my pets, life would be perfect!

Happy New Years to all!

Yes, this is correct...full open bar 24/7 for all passengers regardless of whether they're full world cruise or just one segment.

We are on the full world cruise and I was so thrilled on Saturday. Fed Ex came to our home with a very heavy mahogany wood box. Inside was a limited edition brass bell from Radisson with an inscribed plaque and a note from Mark Conroy, President and CEO of Radisson. Quite a memento which we'll always treasure. Wednesday our luggage (135 lbs. per person) is being picked up at our home. The next time we see it will be in our cabin. At the end of the cruise it is transported back to our home again. I love not hasseling with luggage! We have 7 large bags...so hard to know what to pack for 3 1/2 months! Tuesday (1/4/05), we're being limo'd to the St. Regis in Los Angeles for a gala dinner party and an overnight stay. The following day we're limo'd to San Pedro where we board the ship.

It won't be long now. If only I could bring my pets, life would be perfect!

Happy New Years to all!

jhp,

We're on Sydney to Auckland in November on the Mariner, so I hope you will post after you return with highlights of your segment. Ours will be essentially the same as yours in reverse. Yesterday, I completed booking our FF seats to Sydney and from Aukland on Continental (Delta/Qantas). Now, we have to start thinking about land arrangements. Enjoy.

Hi Petlover and jhp:

Thanks for your posts.

(1) As to bar, it was not open bar on my segment of the world cruise last year. Wine was included with dinner from whatever bottle of red or white that they were pouring that night (decent but routine California or French reds and whites). I had to sign for - and pay for - anything else, including anything from the wine list and at the bars. I am glad to hear that Petlover's experience was better than mine but I am curious as to why. I wonder if Radisson treats different classes of passengers differently on this question - maybe based on length of cruise taken or cabin booked or past cruise experience with them??

As to prices, in my experience Crystal generally runs about 50 percent more expensive, although with the various specials and discounts offered by both lines, it is hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison. Plus, as you note, Radisson includes several things that Crystal does not (lluggage transfer for example). I have only taken Crystal when I can get a very (!) good discount (at least 35% plus early booking, etc.) at which point the price differences may still have been on the order of about 25-30% more than Radisson. Believe me, while I like Crystal, I do balk at the prices and for this reason, I don't consider it a great value for the money.

But I think that my earlier point remains a valid response to the beginning post of this thread. Even though Radisson is less expensive than Crystal, (a) Radisson is still expensive and (b) there were a number of problems that any potential Radisson cruiser should be aware of and take into account.

I wonder if Radisson treats different classes of passengers differently on this question - maybe based on length of cruise taken or cabin booked or past cruise experience with them??

I've never known this to be the case. The only "class" difference are those in penthouses with butler service. Other than that, everyone on the full 2005 world cruise will eat the same, have the same comped liquor, excursions, luggage transfer, party at St. Regis, etc. Even those doing a segment have excursion perks and comped liquor throughout their cruise.

Don't forget A J Theodore, you are talking about the 2004 World Cruise, and perlover is talking about the 2005 which is just about to commence. They obviously seem to have changed a few things for the 2005 WC. ;)

A J Theodore, I can assure you, I am only on one segment of this World Cruise, and I get the excursion gratis that is offered for everyone on this segment, not just the full WC'ers, plus all inclusive liquor, and for my segment, free airfare all the way to New Zealand because I booked prior to July 31 (I think this was a fluke, since the leg was soon withdrawn and/or limited first to 2 leg passengers, and then to WC people only). In addition to included excursions each leg for ALL cruisers, the full WC people get additional excursions, for example on Leg #2 I think there is something in Christchurch, teatime on a punt? Another segment has a reception at that really famous hotel in Dubai that has a strange shape, just for the World Cruisers. I think Radisson has really gone all out in offering many incentives for people to book the full World Cruise. Not sure that even when I have the time I will want to spend this much of it straight on a ship, but sharing Marcie's experience from start to finish, I think they have done a first class job of making the full WC'ers very, very special.

Were you on a true World Cruise when you were on Radisson, or just a segment of a circle of a continent? Maybe that was the difference. Not sure whether RSSC even does a full WC every year, since I am not in the position of doing it and therefore don't pay as much attention.

The only Radisson-provided excursion perk on my segment was an overnight to Beijing and I was told that it was available to full world cruise passengers only.

If I am not mistaken, the trip to Beijing was for the entire ship. The full cruisers stayed at a different hotel but other than that - everyone traveled. Ask Ngaire . . she and Ken were on board.

When I am off the ship for an "overnight" excursion, I can assure you I am paying dearly for it! It is the overland thing to Milford Sound, and Ngaire just told me I "had" to do it. She also told me I am avoiding one of the passages that is unpleasant if you are sea-sick prone. I still have to deal with the other "crossing" from N.Z. to Australia!

Yes, the overnight trip is always included for everyone when they visit Beijing. I was on the Voyager during that segment on the world cruise. It was a fantastic excursion with a really wonderful hotel and full tours. I had such a good time I went back again on the Mariner where the overnight in Beijing was also offered.

Each segment of a RSSC offers one complimentary excursion plus additional excursions for only full world guests.

2004 there was not an open bar - 2005 there is. I understand (dont know for sure) that this will be the case in 2006 also. There will be of course the Mariner "Grand Circle Pacific" starting in September 05 and I fully expect there to be a similiar schedule in 2006. A January start world cruise on the Voyager and a fall - Grand Asia Pacific on the Mariner.

The world cruise itinerary and pricing will be announced first on the Voyager for the current world cruisers. Usually early on the cruise. They will have first crack at booking, then they let the people on the full South America book and then it opens up to everyone for those people who want the full world cruise and then it opens up for segments after that. This is how they did it last year and I do not see any reason for a change. I would imagine it will be around mid February before segments open up for booking.

On a long cruise the size of the cabins alone would make a big difference for me between the ships. Unless you have a penthouse on Crystal the cabins are small.

Hi everyone--

Thanks for the posts and clarifications as to the changes being made for the 2005.

In response to a couple of things:

I was only on the Asia segment of the Circle Pacific, the 2004 equivalent of the World Cruise. I did not take the whole Circle Pacific.

If there was an overnight included to Beijing, neither Radisson nor my TA told me about it. Someone at Radisson said I could arrange something through the ship's tour office, but I ultimatedly ended up making different arrangements. I also understand - but don't know for sure - that excursions were not included for segment-only passengers on other portions of the trip. Nice to hear that excursions, etc., are being included for 2005, including segment passengers.

Third, I did get to talk to several World Cruisers about the overnight to Beijing. A couple of them reflected Ngaire's experience, but there were several who did not seem as impressed as Ngaire (one lady said that the food was "bland" and another said that her tour guide didn't know anything - probably just personal reactions).

Fourth, it sounds like Radisson is making some positive changes this year to attract full world cruise passengers by doing things like the excursions (they had something less than 150 last year I think). Where are they getting them from?

AJ

I too was told that the 2005 full world cruisers had first crack at booking the 2006 world cruise while on board. This is what I discovered when booking the 2005 world cruise...many of the cabins etc. had already been booked by those on the 2004 cruise. Some people are on their 3rd year in a row!!

Jancruz1, where is the 2006 itinerary and pricing listed that you've seen? Is the January 18th date for anyone wishing to book or just those on the 2005 world cruise?

Archived