Is it practical to hire a cabbie for the day?

MICHLEV1974

• 4 weeks later...

Taxi rates are per person by destination in general. For tours the rates are: Sightseeing Tours: 2 hours - One passenger $50; two or more passengers $25 per person. 3 hours - One passenger $60; two or more passengers $30 per person. And for hourly: Hourly Rates (1-4 passengers): Sedan/Mini Van $40; Van/Safari(14 passenger capacity) $55; Safari $80. Rates for additional passengers will be negotiated between the taxi operator and passenger(s). So its possiable to do what you are asking about. You can try doing some searches like http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=st.+thomas+activities+%2B+tours&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8 and contact some folks beforehand with what exactly you want to do and get prices. You can use the prices noted above as a guide as they are from the published taxi rates. If you wait until you are on island to get a taxi, make sure to agree to your plans and the complete price before heading off.

--Islander

Thank you Islander for the information. I have read several posts and think I have found some great information.

The last time I was in St. Thomas it was just for a quick romp over to the liquor store and back on the ship. We never toured the island or experienced anything local out there. We are debating what to do w/our team of 6 (2 adults and 4 tweens).

I hate to commit to an all day excursion, then find out that we just felt like being on the ship that day. We are on the FOS and the kids might want some Flow Rider time. We might book it for the $300/hr and let the kids have a blast while the moms chill out with a fruity beverage and soak up the sun. too many choices....

Or, we are tossing up the idea of just winging it and negotiating that day w/a cabbie to take us around for a tour and then drop us off at a beach for some snorkel time.

We might just pick the decision out of a hat and go with it!

Thanks again!

Archived