Collecting Shells

leedm

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back from our cruise on Tuesday. If you are looking for shells, Jolly beach is the place. I never saw sooo many shells in my life. If you are facing the water walk to the right. You will pass an area that is nothing but shells. We had to walk thorugh all these shells and they actually dont feel great on the feet. Also we found lots of conch shells. We took a tour for 20usd each and then we stopped off at Jolly beach for a few hours. We brought back lots of shells for the kiddos.

Silly question here: Customs officials are concerned about certain things brought back from cruises(i.e.-fruits, plants, alcohol, etc.) Are shells considered something that we have to tell customs about? Anytime I see a cool shell when I'm on a cruise, I want to tack it back, but I don't want to get hassled by customs, or even the cruise line.

We liked Jolly beach. Lots of shells.....nice fine white sand......pretty water. They do have a restaurant and bar there....but we didnt use it. Here is what is looks like though. I should add the only negative thing about this place is the snorkelling is not good. The visibility was about 8 inches....and thats no joke.

DSC03411.jpg.f442006566311e9f007e1759404a3355.jpg

DSC03409.jpg.b052cb6815435a450f69188c1beb5396.jpg

Today 10:07 PMDgonzawe didnt get the day pass.....we took a tour of the island for $20 and were dropped off at jolly beach for a couple of hours. There was no additional cost for us.

Who did you go with and was it a private arrangement? Non ship? Where else did you go?

we just walked outside the gate and got a private tour. There will be all kinds of people trying to take you on a tour with various prices......We went and saw the oldest church on the island 365 yrs old......we drove through the rainforest.....saw people ziplining.....went and saw nelsons dock....darkwood beach, turners beach.....He stopped at a fruit stand and bought us some fresh fruit.....pineapple. mango and banana. Dropped us off at the beach, we didnt pay til he dropped us back off at the ship. He gave me his card with contact information if you are interested......I just have to find it.

Ok I found his card but it is at home and I am at work right now. The tour was about 5 or 6 hours including the beach. We only stayed at Jolly beach but were able to "see" other beaches along the tour. I will get you the contact information later on today.

I am off work now. As promised, here is the info. The tour guides name is Gersham Richards, his number is (268) 463-1750 or 773-0277 The card had a web address.....but I looked it up and nothing comes up. It is tashexpress.net

Dgonza...

I noticed you were on the Victory and did the Southern Caribbean. I am going on that cruise in December.

Are there any other islands / beaches on the cruise with good shell collecting? Did you enjoy the cruise. I cannot wait....only 166 days to go.

Thanks,

Joy

Hello Joy.....This is my second time on the Southern Caribbean. In St Thomas we went to Morning star beach and to Sapphire beach. I have been to Coki Beach in the past. In Barbados we went to Paynes Bay and to Rockley/Accra beach. In Antigua, we went to Jolly beach. Jolly was by far the best beach for collecting shells.

I enjoyed the ports, but I cant say the same about the "cruise" experience. I had been to San Juan, St Thomas and St Kitts on a previous cruise. This was my first time on Carnival. I have to tell you, I wasnt very impressed. I have been on Princess cruiseline in the past. I have to honestly say I dont think I will be going on Carnival again.

Archived