Live from the Golden May 16 Alaska

vickie_bernie

Wasn't on the Golden, but I saw scrapbooking stuff in all of our ports, Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan. It was in the big tourist store that's in every port, can miss it.

Is it the same store (like a chain) or different stores? Is it one store in each port or several different stores in each port? I hope I have time to look around for it...;)

Is it the same store (like a chain) or different stores? Is it one store in each port or several different stores in each port? I hope I have time to look around for it...;)

I was on the Golden last week and in virtually every variety store they had scrapbooking supplies. You will not have any problem finding them at all. Just look for the touristy places that sell everything.

Marilyn

Hey Viki! We have enjoyed your thread while you were on the Golden. We are sailing on her in August and are very excited. Are you going to post a formal review of the ship or just what you have answered here. Your experience as a cruiser and blogger would make for a great and impartial review! Glad you had a great trip. :)

Hey Viki! We have enjoyed your thread while you were on the Golden. We are sailing on her in August and are very excited. Are you going to post a formal review of the ship or just what you have answered here. Your experience as a cruiser and blogger would make for a great and impartial review! Glad you had a great trip. :)

thanks, I will not be doing a formal review, I will be updating my blog with a day to day report with pictures (and the pics are very nice) I hope to have some blog pages up this weekend, so stay tuned.

You can see my blog in the link below

Thanks Vickie AND Bernie for the live thread and all the info. Could you please clarify which nights were the formal nights? Thanks again! We are on the 6/13 sailing.

I was on the same cruise and the the formal nite was the 2nd nite(sea day) and then the 2nd formal nite which was ketchikan.

Marilyn

I was on her last week too! That is ONE BIG SHIP! Staff was outstanding as usual, but DH was so upset about the food in the Horizon Court that I think our cruise days are over. I can only hope not....

I was on her last week too! That is ONE BIG SHIP! Staff was outstanding as usual, but DH was so upset about the food in the Horizon Court that I think our cruise days are over. I can only hope not....

We did not find anything wrong with the food in the Horizon Ct. In fact in the last few years the food has improved there BIG TIME. sorry you were disappointed.

Marilyn

I was on the same cruise and the the formal nite was the 2nd nite(sea day) and then the 2nd formal nite which was ketchikan.

Marilyn

Thanks Mii! I know the "formal" question/situation has been discussed at lengths on these boards...But..Is a mens "suit" or Blue blazer/Kahki pants/tie combo respectible enough for Princess? We are in "anytime" dining...THANKS!

Thanks Mii! I know the "formal" question/situation has been discussed at lengths on these boards...But..Is a mens "suit" or Blue blazer/Kahki pants/tie combo respectible enough for Princess? We are in "anytime" dining...THANKS!

I am not Marilyn but I can give you my two cents.

suit is more than formal enough, in fact there were many in the dining rooms that just had shirt and tie. Maybe because it is Alaska. But there were many who were dressed in lovely suits and I even saw one or two tuxes.

If you don't feel comfortable or you feel underdressed I would suggest the HC or one of the alternate restaurants. Which were both very busy on the formal nigths.

Note that Anytime has the exact same dress code as traditional diners.

Is anyone going to share their photos that they took and the ship took???

Caroline - What is some of the scrapbooking stuff you saw or bought?

I will be hopefully putting up my pictures this weekend. I will post a link here when I have so you can see.

well that is nice, and heck you must be even nicer in person.... we just booked two cruises today for Jan. We have panama for Sept. Jump on

Would love to join you but we are planning a 7 day on the Crown and will get off and walk over to a 10 day sailing. We always have to go to the Caribbean at least one time a year.

You will enjoy our Panama cruise. It is very different than any we have taken. We got our cruise docs today for Alaska so we are getting excited since this will be all new to us.

I am sure we will meet up sometime out there~

Hi Vicki,

I am new to this forum thing and usually just read and every once in a while I post a reply or question. So my one for you is, how do I get to your life thread? I didn't even know there was one. I know you are back from your trip now as I just came to this forum today. I would love to hear all about your trip and the ship as we are cruising the Golden on June 20th. I'm interested in everything you can tell us as this is our first time on the Princess and to Alaska.

Thank you very much for providing this info. I absolutely love reading these forums and have learned countless tips and suggestions, many of which I have taken. I can not wait to take this trip.

Diana

Hi Vicki,

I am new to this forum thing and usually just read and every once in a while I post a reply or question. So my one for you is, how do I get to your life thread? I didn't even know there was one. I know you are back from your trip now as I just came to this forum today. I would love to hear all about your trip and the ship as we are cruising the Golden on June 20th. I'm interested in everything you can tell us as this is our first time on the Princess and to Alaska.

Thank you very much for providing this info. I absolutely love reading these forums and have learned countless tips and suggestions, many of which I have taken. I can not wait to take this trip.

Diana

Hi Diana, and welcome to Cruise Critic....

Now you may be surprised to hear but you are posting on the live thread. This is it. If you go up to the top right hand corner you can click on the first page and start reading all the posts page by page and port by port. Lots of info from not only me but my fellow cruisers and past cruisers.

Enjoy and feel free to ask any other questions, I am sure one of us can help

Hi Vickie,

Thanks for your Live yet again. I was on a cruise ( Carnival Splendor ) the same time as you so didn't find this thread until 2 hours ago and have just finished reading all 13 pages. LOL. Your Lives are always so enjoyable that I had to read the entire thread.

We were in your lovely city of Vancouver on the 21st and really enjoyed our day there. I have been to Vancouver and North Burnaby but many many years ago. DH had only seen it from and to the airport and to and from Canada Place. This time, a friend picked us from the pier and was our own personal tour guide for 7 hours. We saw a lot and even had time for dim sum in Chinatown.

Even though I couldn't cruise along with you this time, I still enjoyed it like a review.

Mary

I'm curious if you have to go through customs when you get into Victoria and if this would effect your one week exemption of declaration of goods when you come back through the border through Seattle.

You don't declare anything even though there are Canadian Customs Officers there. We didn't see them talk to or stop anyone.

Originally Posted by cruzendude viewpost.gif

I don't know how it affects Canadiens but customs during a regular cruise stop in Victoria was a HUGE pain in the A** ...long, slow moving lines on the pier waiting to go through....you would have thought we had just sailed from Iraq or something....:eek:

We had the same experience as Vickie. Our cruise was from LA and the port before Victoria was Astoria, Oregon. We did not even show passports so they didn't know who was Canadian, American or from another country.

Wow - I am surprised - our experience was we walked off and as we entered the building we had passports out but no one looked at them. We were exiting with 8 other friends all of whom are American. One agent did ask our friend in line who had a large backpack on his back what was in it - he responded - and we walked right thru, no one searched the bag.

Hopeful our experience is the norm because we really like all people from all over to enjoy themselves and feel welcome in our country.

Thanks Vicki,

After reading all of your posts on this thread I realized that I was on the live thread. You don't know how much info you provided and I am extremely grateful to you for that. I have learned so much at this forum, it in unbelievable. I can not wait for our cruise. I am with you though on loving warm cruises. I live in New York and usually take southern cruises. But I've always wanted to go to Alaska and my husband won't drive there so this is the next best thing. Thanks again for all your help.

Diana

Archived