Livorno--Florence and Lucca

We would like to go to both Florence and Lucca. Is this possible? We're a party of 6 and have been to Florence before and just want to revisit a few highlights. Then we would like to go to Lucca as we have never been to that part of Italy. Does anyone know of a tour company who can do a custom tour like this? Or are the two cities too far apart to even try? We don't want to go to Pisa.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Lucca is lovely, and deserves its own day, really. Florence and Lucca are about an hour and a quarter apart by road, assuming no traffic jams. If you spend all day rushing from the ship to Florence highlights to Lucca and back to the ship, you won't see enough of anything for it to be a satisfying day.

Much better in my opinion to go to Lucca, walk around the walls, visit the Cathedral, have a nice lunch, climb the tower, and walk through the Piazza Anfiteatro.

I know that other posters may say that they saw five towns in one day (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration :D) and can remember them all as clear as a bell, but I would rather pick one thing and do it well.

Lisa

We like all the mentioned places and much of the rest of Italy. However, the question is regarding doing Lucca and Florence in a port day. If you had a rental car (or a car with driver) it would be possible to visit both the cities but not advisiable if you really want to have time to enjoy either place. As to which city is better, it really is not worth comparing since they are so different. Florence has often been rated the number 1 tourist city in the world and Lucca (although we like the place) is not on anyone's top 10 or even top 20 list. I would suggest you make a choice and not plan on doing both of those cities. However, it is very possible to couple a visit to Lucca with a visit to Pisa since it works geographically and makes sense (the train to Lucca is caught at Pisa).

Hank

Thanks to all. You have been most helpful. Since we've been to Florence which we loved, maybe we'll do Lucca this time.

We are planning on using a private driver--Unforgetable Tuscany--and doing highlights of Florence (not Pisa) and then a few wineries throughout the area. Don't know how it will be yet---but we are hopeful!

We were just there in the spring and used allarounditaly.net. Fabrizio was an awesome tour guide and took really good care of us. We went to Florence and Pisa in a day (from the port) with time to spare. Friends of ours went to Lucca and really enjoyed it. I'm sure Fabrizio can easily arrange Florence and Lucca. He also offers a great rate from the port in Rome with a tour...it was about the same as just the ships transport to Rome if you had 3 couples to go with.

Thanks, Steph7021. When are you going? We're going in October. Would you mind telling me what company you are using for the private driver?

Thanks.

The company is called "Unforgetable Tuscany"---Paolo. The website has suggested tours---however, he is willing to create a special tour. We leave the 22nd...just a few days!

Archived