The Best Cruise Ever! Glacier Bay Alaska, 5/6/09, Pictorial Review.

DarthGrady

What an amazing photo review. Thank you so much for posting it.

We've been on the Spirit 3 times to Mexico and LOVE The ship. We just booked yesterday for the Sep 7 2010 cruise. Next year they are leaving from Seatlle and returning to Seattle but will not go thru Glacier Bay area. The 9/7/2010 is a unique itinerary that will include Glacier Bay and end in Vancouver.

We booked a port side balcony, but now looking at your photos it appears that the starboard side would be more scenic ... don't want to face the town when in port if possible and want the best viewing of Glacier Bay is we are on our Balcony. Is my thinking correct?

Off to check out your photos on webshots. Thank you again.

Mary

Yep, it seemed like the captain really took the "port side" thing to heart. In each port we were always on the pier side.

Other than the cell phone issue, was the shuttle worth the hassle? It is a lot cheaper to fly to Seattle rather than Vancouver. What are your thoughts?

Sorry I missed your post! They were cheaper than flying into Vancouver, at least at the time when we bought our tickets (when fuel way way up). The trip wasn't too bad, they got us there and back. I suppose thats all they really need to do, its just that their customer service people really pi$$ed me off.

Overall, I would say only use them if it saves you alot of money. If I had it to do all over again, it would have been much more pleasant to just fly in and out of Vancouver and avoided the 3-4 hours on a bus and the customs hassle.

Grady, do you think one side (port vs starboard) is better in Glacier Bay or because of how you go into the bay and come out it doesn't matter?

Our wonderful TA switched us this morning (after I read your review and saw the photos) to a starboard side cabin for our cruise.

Thank you again for your GREAT review.

Well I flew from Seattle to Vancouver via Alaska Airlines Horizon and it was a 1 hour flight and we did roundtrip for under $200 and it was WELL worth it!

Flying in and out of Seattle is much more reasonable, which will now work as Spirit moves to Seattle in 2010!

Originally we were doing the Carnival shuttle, long story, that was cancelled by Carnival not us.

We waited to purchase our airline tickets and got great deals, me from Orlando and mom from Providence.

Other than a LONG flight I'd do it again easily for Alaska!

This was by far the BEST cruise I have been on and I can't wait to go again.

The link in my signature will allow you to view my pictures of Alaska.

Glacier Bay was just AMAZING, I stood right up at the front of the ship the entire time.

Susan

Well I flew from Seattle to Vancouver via Alaska Airlines Horizon and it was a 1 hour flight and we did roundtrip for under $200 and it was WELL worth it!

Flying in and out of Seattle is much more reasonable, which will now work as Spirit moves to Seattle in 2010!

Originally we were doing the Carnival shuttle, long story, that was cancelled by Carnival not us.

We waited to purchase our airline tickets and got great deals, me from Orlando and mom from Providence.

Other than a LONG flight I'd do it again easily for Alaska!

This was by far the BEST cruise I have been on and I can't wait to go again.

Glacier Bay was just AMAZING, I stood right up at the front of the ship the entire time.

Susan

Thanks for the flight tips. After reading this review & one other I think we may be heading to Alaska in 2011.

... Aside from the Owners Suites on the Fantasy Class ships, I think the Spirit Class suites 4228 and 4237 are the best rooms available on Carnival Cruise Lines.

I couldn't agree more! :)

This isn't part of my formal review, but I wanted to take a moment to thank Tom (Tom-n-Cheryl) for letting us know about this room. The back story is that they were scheduled to be on this cruise too, and had 4228. Unfortunately they weren't able to come, so he posted that he gave up the room on our roll call. My wife and I were able to get the room, and as you can see, enjoyed it very much! Had he not been nice enough to let us know, the room would have surely been taken very quickly. As those aft wraps are in high demand, especially for Alaska. So again, thanks very much Tom and Cheryl!

Thanks for the mention. I must admit that reading this review was bittersweet. We had booked this cruise over 2 years in advance primarily to make sure we got our favorite Spirit class cabin. Once it became clear that we were not destined to be on this voyage, it only seemed right that someone "worthy" (Cruise Critic member) might be able to enjoy this suite! For those not "in the know" we also had this cabin booked for the previous 12 night Hawaii sailing... a super B2B plan. :(

I'm glad you enjoyed the cabin and had a fantastic cruise. We will make it up there at some point!!

Tom

Grady, do you think one side (port vs starboard) is better in Glacier Bay or because of how you go into the bay and come out it doesn't matter?

Our wonderful TA switched us this morning (after I read your review and saw the photos) to a starboard side cabin for our cruise.

Thank you again for your GREAT review.

Really it would not have mattered much to us. I like watching the longshoremen untie the ship and the subsequent sail away, so it was fine for me.

In Glacier Bay its a round trip, so anything that you cant clearly see on the way in, you'll see coming out. When we were next to the glaciers, they turned the ship 180 degrees, so everyone gets to see it.

Susan

Great photos too, thank you for sharing. I can't wait to see Glacier Bay.

Really it would not have mattered much to us. I like watching the longshoremen untie the ship and the subsequent sail away, so it was fine for me.

In Glacier Bay its a round trip, so anything that you cant clearly see on the way in, you'll see coming out. When we were next to the glaciers, they turned the ship 180 degrees, so everyone gets to see it.

Thank you. We enjoyed watching the seaplanes land and take off in Ketchikan. Good information about Glacier Bay too, thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

What a great review.:D

Amazing PIctures!!!

I just ordered a panasonic Lumix DMC FZ28 on that site named after a river.(that starts with A). Thanks for the great tip. :D

I killed our "Good Camera" in 2007 :(so this is making up for that.

We have been booked in an aft wrap for over a year for Alaska in Aug. We were in the same aft wrap on the Pride in 2008 for Mexico and LOVED the room. Now I wish we were on 4 deck for the overhang but OH WELL.

Anyway we are counting down the days. A good diversion in this economy with some teenager family drama I would not like to talk about.

In a way this could be my honeymoon too as we have not taken a cruise together since we got married last year. Congrats on yours.

Tom in Long Beach

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Grady,

Do you happen to remember which day the laundry special was offered? I'm leaving in just a few days and wanted to figure out the packing situation to minimize what I had to pack. Can't beat half the laundry and I don't mind wearing the same outfits before and after laundry day. Thanks in advance!

Sorry I missed your post! They were cheaper than flying into Vancouver, at least at the time when we bought our tickets (when fuel way way up). The trip wasn't too bad, they got us there and back. I suppose thats all they really need to do, its just that their customer service people really pi$$ed me off.

Overall, I would say only use them if it saves you alot of money. If I had it to do all over again, it would have been much more pleasant to just fly in and out of Vancouver and avoided the 3-4 hours on a bus and the customs hassle.

The train that goes to Vancouver from Seattle is excellent. Then you take the Skytrain for to the cruise terminal. No customs/border issues except at the train station, but that doesn't take too long. The cost is about $30 one way on average. It comes up early in the morning, and goes back late in the afternoon. We have done this twice for cruises out of Vancouver.

Grady, the pictures and your review were wonderful. My DH and I were on the Spirit for the August 5th sailing to Alaska. When I saw your sunset pictures I thought, I did not take any and for a very good reason, the sun never shined the entire time we were on the ship. The scenery in Alaska is very pretty but it would have been nice to see the sun on a couple of days if only to take that sunset picture.

Again, great review and really gorgeous pictures.

OMG. I so want to be there.

Grady, what was the average temperature during the day and night when you sailed?

We are planning alaska in about 4 years, and need to start planning and saving now for a big cabin like you have on here.

I was on this cruise with Grady and his wife. It truly was the BEST cruise ever.

We were one of the first ships cruising Alaska, the first for Carnival so it was early in the cruise season.

We saw lots of snow, and long daylight hours 5:30 am until 9:30 pm. We also saw lots of whale sightings right from the ship heading both north and south along the Inside Passage.

I chose this cruise for Glacier Bay and it did not disappoint!

I do not remember which day of the week the laundry special was, since our cruise was Wed-Wed my days of the week were all mixed up. As a platinum cruiser with Carnival we receive free laundry service which I used on two different days.

Alaska is unlike cruising the Caribbean, it is all about the scenery and there are not many planned daytime activities on the ship and we were in port long hours. Nightlife is much quieter on Alaska cruises, the fresh air gets to you!

Weather was good all 7 days. I wore a thermal top all the time when on deck with either a sweater or sweatshirt on top, gloves and often a hat; BUT I am a Florida gal. The coldest time was sailing Glacier Bay, and being at the front of the ship it was cold, but so worth it.

I was never chilled to the bone at any time during the cruise.

I for one can not wait to return to Alaska it is just AMAZING!

Susan

OMG. I so want to be there.

Grady, what was the average temperature during the day and night when you sailed?

We are planning alaska in about 4 years, and need to start planning and saving now for a big cabin like you have on here.

If I recall correctly it was in the 40's at night, and the 60s and 70s in the day. When we were in Skagway it was probably high 70's, very nice, almost shorts weather.

Grady, the pictures and your review were wonderful. My DH and I were on the Spirit for the August 5th sailing to Alaska. When I saw your sunset pictures I thought, I did not take any and for a very good reason, the sun never shined the entire time we were on the ship. The scenery in Alaska is very pretty but it would have been nice to see the sun on a couple of days if only to take that sunset picture.

Again, great review and really gorgeous pictures.

Thank you!

Grady,

Do you happen to remember which day the laundry special was offered? I'm leaving in just a few days and wanted to figure out the packing situation to minimize what I had to pack. Can't beat half the laundry and I don't mind wearing the same outfits before and after laundry day. Thanks in advance!

I don't know when it was, sorry.:o

The train that goes to Vancouver from Seattle is excellent. Then you take the Skytrain for to the cruise terminal. No customs/border issues except at the train station, but that doesn't take too long. The cost is about $30 one way on average. It comes up early in the morning, and goes back late in the afternoon. We have done this twice for cruises out of Vancouver.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely keep that in mind if we ever do Vancouver again. We will not take the bus next time, so its either going to be the train or a direct flight in.

Archived