The Best Cruise Ever! Glacier Bay Alaska, 5/6/09, Pictorial Review.

DarthGrady

Grady. I enjoyed your pics so much that I did in fact check out the camera on the A site and I think your pics were so popular and SO many people wanted that camera that the price went up!!!! I checked the exact model number and even though you and another CC member got it for $300, I see it new for $550. Your great pics priced me out of the camera!! ha ha. I will keep checking back as $300 was a price that I was talking myself into.

May I ask....when you were outside, did you still use the flash much to brighten up the pics? I am a novice and I'm trying to learn how to improve my pics. I have a pretty good Nikon 35 mm (not Digital) and it cost around $600 I think, a few years ago.

Thanks for any advice.

Grady,

I must agree with you. My Fun Group did the Alaska Northbound cruise July 22nd. We didn't have to wear coats or long sleeves. The weather was beautiful and the sights were amazing!!! We saw bald eagles, whales, sea otters, a penguin, a baby bear and salmon. I can't wait to go to Alaska again.

Grady. I enjoyed your pics so much that I did in fact check out the camera on the A site and I think your pics were so popular and SO many people wanted that camera that the price went up!!!! I checked the exact model number and even though you and another CC member got it for $300, I see it new for $550. Your great pics priced me out of the camera!! ha ha. I will keep checking back as $300 was a price that I was talking myself into.

May I ask....when you were outside, did you still use the flash much to brighten up the pics? I am a novice and I'm trying to learn how to improve my pics. I have a pretty good Nikon 35 mm (not Digital) and it cost around $600 I think, a few years ago.

Thanks for any advice.

That camera is almost, if not in fact, discontinued. Panasonic announced a new FZ-35 that should be available soon for $399.

It is available in Europe as a FZ-38.

That camera is almost, if not in fact, discontinued. Panasonic announced a new FZ-35 that should be available soon for $399.

It is available in Europe as a FZ-38.

Thanks for that update...I had no idea. Do you know if it will have the same great lens that has been mentioned here?

If it's being discontinued, one would think the prices would be lower, not higher?

Thanks for that update...I had no idea. Do you know if it will have the same great lens that has been mentioned here?

If it's being discontinued, one would think the prices would be lower, not higher?

Same lens, higher resolution, better stabilization, faster focus, updated processor...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ35-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B002IKLJU0/

For a while the prices on FZ28 dropped but then typical gouge your eyes out pricing for end of life cameras. There is still demand but less supply. Of course the sellers don't tell you that you are buying an obsolete camera.

If I wanted a FZ28, I might contact a Panasonic service department and see if there was a refurbished one they wanted to sell me.

Thanks for any advice.

Sorry, I didn't realize I had such selling power!:D

I hope you find one, or one of the newer versions that Sgt. Shultz mentioned. They really are great cameras for beginners (which I certainly am!).

I did not, and do not, have to use the flash much at all. I am really amazed at how good it picks up, most of my friends still have pocket cameras, and they use their flashes waaaaay more than I have to.

Same lens, higher resolution, better stabilization, faster focus, updated processor...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ35-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B002IKLJU0/

For a while the prices on FZ28 dropped but then typical gouge your eyes out pricing for end of life cameras. There is still demand but less supply. Of course the sellers don't tell you that you are buying an obsolete camera.

If I wanted a FZ28, I might contact a Panasonic service department and see if there was a refurbished one they wanted to sell me.

Thats a nice camera! The HD video capability is a nice addition.

Wow, your pictures and review just completely made my decision. We were considering a cruise to the Bahamas, then my boyfriend suggested Alaska, and I was on the fence. I just jumped onto the Alaska side, we leave May 18!

Have never ever had any desire to cruise Alaska until reading this review and seeing those fantastic pictures. Checking cruise info as soon as I finish this post!

I know! Never wanted to go - but Grady - you had me at the first pic ...

Wonderful story teller and photographer.

• 2 months later...
Day 8, Debarkation and Seattle:

I want to take one moment to give you all a slightly cruise related warning. The Quick Coach we took to and from Seattle to Vancouver really made me angry with their (lack of) customer service. They got us to our destinations just fine.

Hi Grady

I will be taking a cruise next year on the Spirit and want to know how long it took you to get from the Vancouver pier to downtown Seattle. I am just trying to finalise my flights from Seattle and want to make sure I have enough time.

Thanks.

I will be taking a cruise next year on the Spirit and want to know how long it took you to get from the Vancouver pier to downtown Seattle. I am just trying to finalise my flights from Seattle and want to make sure I have enough time.

Thanks.

Which Alaska cruise will you be on? Only the first in May departs from Vancouver and the last in September ends in Vancouver. The rest of the Spirit cruises are round trip from Seattle. I'm on the May 11 and can't wait after seeing all these great pictures!!

Day 8, Debarkation and Seattle:

I want to take one moment to give you all a slightly cruise related warning. The Quick Coach we took to and from Seattle to Vancouver really made me angry with their (lack of) customer service. They got us to our destinations just fine.

Hi Grady

Thanks.

Going back to Seattle I thinks was probably around 4 hours. There were less stops than on the way up to Vancouver, so it cut the time by about 45-60 minutes.

I'm still putting the finishing touches on the review. I've got some of the pictures uploaded, so I will start posting this up. It may take a couple of days to get it all done, but I'll get started now:

Introduction:

This cruise was planned approximately one and a half years in advance as our honeymoon. My wife and I were married in January, but had to wait until May for the first Alaskan cruise that Carnival offered. The cruise’s main attraction was the day in Glacier Bay, which is only offered a few times each year. We spent four days in Ohio before the cruise visiting my wife’s family, and then flew to Seattle. From Seattle we took the Quick Shuttle from Seattle/Tacoma Airport to the Vancouver area. It worked out to be cheaper than flying directly into Vancouver, or renting a car and driving there. The only real downside is that the shuttle ride takes about five hours since there are several stops to pick up and drop off others. We stayed the night at the Park Inn, which was very nice. The next day we spent some time down at the Vancouver waterfront, and then got a cab to the pier.

2670928280105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2243346290105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2041173800105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2847912920105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2801328180105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

2663415750105161938S600x600Q85.jpg

I just read your review and the pictures, They were AWESOME. Now if you look at the first picture and look just right from the bridge and I live about 6 blocks from there. Great pictures of Vancouver and also of your cruise. The train trip in Skagway, wow you had snow. We did this trip, but in June a few years ago and there wasn't any snow. You lucked out. Made the trip even better.

Would you happen to have any of your dinner menus. I am mostly interested to find out if chicken, steak and salmon are always available. My mother is a very picky eater and also has Celiac and she needs her steak and chicken every couple of days.

Sorry, I didn't get any pics of the menus. But there is always a steak or chicken dish available. Carnival has their main course dishes that change daily, but there are alsoa few "Carnival Classics" (or something like that) which are always on the menu. There is always a flat iron steak on there, which is my backup in case I don't want what's on the main menu. I believe there is a chicken and fish on there too.

Would you happen to have any of your dinner menus. I am mostly interested to find out if chicken, steak and salmon are always available. My mother is a very picky eater and also has Celiac and she needs her steak and chicken every couple of days.

Here are the menus from a NB Alaska cruise and probably identical to the ones on this cruise:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalSpirit/Alaska/menus.htm

Carnival can't (no cruise line can) accommodate all possible dietary requests, but you should really notify them of any special medical/dietary conditions. It is actually a requirement. They do have some capabilities but you are still free to eat as you wish.

• 1 month later...

okay, so i like sunshine and warmth...but i think your most awesome review may have convinced me to check cruising to Alaska.

Although I am very disappointed to hear about the clubs and no dancing etc. that has been my biggest drawback. I don't want to be the youngest person onboard-excluding grandkids of course lol....I had always heard that most of the cruises to Alaska were for older folks...not that there's anything wrong with it lol..

and btw, i loved the "mine mine mine"! Nemo! lol.

thanks for an awesome review and beautiful pics!

okay, so i like sunshine and warmth...but i think your most awesome review may have convinced me to check cruising to Alaska.

Although I am very disappointed to hear about the clubs and no dancing etc. that has been my biggest drawback. I don't want to be the youngest person onboard-excluding grandkids of course lol....I had always heard that most of the cruises to Alaska were for older folks...not that there's anything wrong with it lol..

and btw, i loved the "mine mine mine"! Nemo! lol.

thanks for an awesome review and beautiful pics!

Its worth going, at least once. The scenery is amazing, its like no other cruise you can go on. It was an older crowd than you would see on the Caribbean routes, but folks were still having a good amount of fun.

• 2 months later...
Its worth going, at least once. The scenery is amazing, its like no other cruise you can go on. It was an older crowd than you would see on the Caribbean routes, but folks were still having a good amount of fun.

Just a note to thank you for the review and photos. I just booked this cabin this am and thought I'd go on line and see if there were any photos. We've had aft cabins on several ships and are now spoiled. I've never had or seen one like this one, I'm so pleased.

We have a group going in May '11 with my brother who is a professional photographer and he will be giving tips for getting some out standing photos.

Thanks again for your review. Can't wait.

Archived