pre authorisation

seabourndt

is this normal practice? only on ncl and other lines as well. i just did ncl star and found i had no money left! only just found out that they take pre auth and only get it back 72 hours after coming off

dave

It's a normal practice not just for cruise lines, but any type of business , for example rental car agencies and hotels, where the final total of your bill is not known at the time your card is processed. Otherwise how could they ensure you would have sufficient funds (for a debit card) or line of credit (for a credit card) to cover your bill at the end of your cruise/hotel stay/ car rental?

I see you're in London? Perhaps it's not as common there..but here in the US this is done all the time, particularly when someone uses a debit card (rather than a credit card) to book. Even with a credit card, if your credit limit is rather low, they'll do this too -- for just what the previous poster suggested: to guarantee that they'll be paid at the end of your cruise.

Archived