2009 Seattle Public Transit Info

Here is a list of Seattle's public transportation options that are most useful for cruisers.

-Seattle has two cruise piers, Pier 66 (aka Bell Street Cruise Terminal) and Pier 91 (Smith Cove Cruise Terminal). Pier 66 is normally used by Celebrity, RCCL, and NCL. Pier 91 is normally used by Princess and HAL (and the occasional Carnival ship). However, sometimes they move things around, so check the Port of Seattle website (http://www.portseattle.org/) to find out for sure where your ship will be.

-Seattle has no subway system, but does have a decent bus system run by an agency called Metro. Within the downtown core, buses are free and run on almost every street. Visit transit.metrokc.gov for fare and schedule information, including a customized trip planner. If you're not sure which bus to take, just ask a driver--most of them know the whole system pretty well. Bus service to Pier 91 involves a very long walk out of the terminal and up three flights of steps to catch the bus on the Magnolia Bridge. I would not recommend this option. Bus service to Pier 66 is the #99 (see below about the Waterfront Streetcar replacement bus).

-Our region's very first light rail line, called Link, is scheduled to open in July. Unfortunately, it will only run from sort-of near the airport to downtown Seattle at first (the airport segment is scheduled to open in December), so it is probably not the most efficient option for cruisers. Stay tuned for 2010...

-The Waterfront Streetcar still hasn't started back up yet. But the transit authority is running a free (that's right, FREE!) replacement bus along the route that the trolley normally takes. It's Bus #99 and it's painted green and cream like the trolleys are. It stops right by Pier 66, but not Pier 91, and goes to Pioneer Square, which is our historic district.

-If you need to get from Seattle Center to downtown Seattle (including Pioneer Square), consider taking Bus #3 or #4, which stops on 5th Avenue by Seattle Center and on 3rd Avenue in downtown Seattle.

-The Monorail is still in service, and fares are $2 for adults each way. It runs from Seattle Center to Downtown Seattle and back, making it convenient for tourists who want to go to the Space Needle or EMP from downtown Seattle, but don't want to take the bus.

-The South Lake Union Streetcar runs about every 15 minutes between downtown Seattle and the south lake union area. This is more handy than the bus for anyone staying at a hotel on/near south Lake Union. Fares are $2 adults, 50 cents ages 6-17, 5 and under free, and they accept transfers from Metro buses.

-To get from SeaTac to a cruise pier, you have a couple of options. A taxi will cost you roughly $30 to Pier 66 or $40 to Pier 91, and is probably the most convenient option. Or, you can take a shuttle (we're not allowed to recommend them here), which will run you about $25 per person for a couple, or about $80 for a van that seats 10.

-To get from SeaTac to downtown, you could do a taxi or shuttle at about the same cost as it would be to go to the cruise piers. Or, there's also a private bus service that stops at several of the downtown hotels and costs about $10 per person. Or for those who packed very light, there's the Metro bus--catch it outside the south end of the main terminal. The Metro buses going to Seatac stop in the tunnel when it's open, or on 2nd Avenue if the tunnel is closed. Both the 194 and the 174 will take you from Seatac to downtown, but the 194 is an express bus so it takes 15 minutes less than the 174, and it runs more frequently. The 174's route isn't scenic, so there's no reason to take it unless you've just missed the 194.

Thanks for all the great info. I'm not sure what pier Mariner will be at for our visit early next month. I know you recommended not to use the bus for pier 91. What would you suggest? Cab ride? I'd like to go to Pike's Market and understand there is a shuttle that goes to the monorail.

Thoughts.....

If you're at Pier 91, probably a taxi would be easiest. But if it's a mid-week stop, the Mariner will probably be at Pier 66, which would mean you can walk to Pike Place. Best route is to turn right out of the cruise terminal and walk along the waterfront a few blocks to the pier with the Seattle Aquarium. Then cross the street and you'll see a parking lot with a parking garage behind it. Inside the garage is an elevator that will take you up to the market. Or, if you want some exercise, you can walk up the stairs that are there (we call those stairs the Pike Street Hillclimb). There are shops and things along the hillclimb that are fun to browse (and it breaks up the walk a bit).

From the market, it's a five-block walk along Pike Street to Westlake Center. That's where the monorail station is, and the monorail takes you to Seattle Center, which is where the Space Needle and EMP are located.

Beth and WRP96, thanks for your responses. I'm crossing my fingers it will be pier 66 so we won't have to rely on taxis. I hear there is a shuttle from pier 91 which the cruise ship provides that takes you to the monorail. Since we'd have to hike down and back up the hills, it would be much easier to be by Pikes Market. We also want to go to Ivars so we'll stay by the water.

Those hills are just as bad as here in San Francisco. I use to travel and work by Metropolitan Grill and would have to hike up and down those hills to get to the hotels!

Thanks again!

Yes, you will need exact fare, the bus drivers cannot give change. Buses take both coins and bills. If you are planning to do a lot of riding on a weekend, you can buy an all-day pass--ask the driver about it when you board the bus.

Yes, our hills are just as bad as San Francisco. Anywhere that's flat, you can assume was either a mud flat (the waterfront) or was regraded.

Calikak, thanks for your prompt responses and help. I just found out from the Port of Seattle we will be docked at Pier 66. Yipeee!! Less walking. Do you have any recommendations for breakfast around the area? I know there are a few spots at Pike's Place Market.

Thanks!

Yes, Pike Place has an amazing array of food options. Lowell's is a classic, they have your diner-type breakfast and great views. For something less heavy, there are lots of bakeries in the market area. In the building across the street from the main market building, facing onto 1st Ave, there's the Crumpet Shop (YUM) and there's also a bagel shop in the same building. Or you could be a real tourist and go to the original Starbucks, which is also in a building across the street from the market. Or really any of the bakeries (there's a French one, and also Three Girls' Bakery, and a Russian bakery/piroshky place...), you'll find good pastries all over the place at the market.

Calikak, thanks again for the recommendations. I was also reading about a donut place in Pike's Place Market that makes mini fresh donuts. I also want to try the piroskys (sp) at the russian bakery. Plus Lowell's and I want to go to Ivars for lunch. I may have to bring back some doggie bags with me to eat on the ship.

Do you happen to know if I can bring back the fruits, veggies on the ship? In particular, I have always wanted those chili pepper / garlic garlands, wreaths that you can hang in the kitchen and I wanted to get one for my friend.

Also, someone on our M&M RCCL board asked if the Underground tour is walkable from Pikes Place Market. Do you happen to know? Thanks in advance again!!

Bernice

I'm pretty sure you can bring fruits and veggies back on the ship (lots of people bring flowers onboard) but I'm not positive you can disembark with them, because of all the customs rules about food. But since you'd be buying them in the US, and not bringing them back from another country, maybe it's OK? I have no idea, though, maybe the US Customs website would have info on that.

I like Ivar's, but it's not the sort of place one should go out of their way to visit. It's really just a fish'n'chips joint--a good fish'n'chips joint, but not like sublime or anything. They do also have a sit-down restaurant on the waterfront, but you can do better than that if you're looking for a sit-down restaurant. For something really more interesting, try The Crab Pot. It's in the pier just south of the aquarium. They do a seafood feast where they just dump a big pot of seafood on the table and everyone shares it. Not classy but very fun and the seafood tends to be very fresh. For a classier option, try Etta's, up by the market. The owner is Tom Douglas who is a local celebrity chef, he owns quite a few places in town and is known for his crab cakes.

It's a bit of a long walk (but flat or downhill) from Pike Place to the Underground Tour. Maybe a 10-15 minute walk. You can also catch a free bus on 1st avenue that will take you from Pike Place to Pioneer Square. Just ask the driver when you get on if s/he stops near Pioneer Square, and ask him/her to announce when you get there. You could also walk down the hill climb and take the free #99 Waterfront bus (the #99 would also work for the return to the ship).

You cannot bring any fruits or vegetables (or flowers) OFF the ship, but you can bring them on the ship. You will be visiting foreign ports (Canada) on your cruise and USDA has no idea whether or not you bought it in Seattle before boarding or bought it somewhere in Canada.

WRP96 - you were right, Also, it will be great that I can bring some of those peppers home finally. The ship will be docked at pier 66. That is great news with Calikak's recommendation on the elevator in the garage across from the aquarium.

Calikak, thanks for all of the recommendations and tips on transporation!

Enjoy your long weekend!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're docking at Pier 66, it is just a few blocks to Pike Place and totally walkable. Step out the front of the cruise terminal and turn right, and walk along the waterfront until you get to the pier with the aquarium. Cross the street there at that big cross walk, and in front of you will be a large set of stairs that we call the Pike Street Hillclimb. At the top of those stairs is the market...or if you don't want to walk up all those stairs, to your left inside that parking garage built into the hill is an elevator you can take up to Western Ave, then there's another elevator from there to the main part of the market.

If you're docking at Pier 91, you'll need a taxi or shuttle or something along those lines.

• 1 month later...

Update on Light Rail: Our light rail line, called Link, is now open. It runs from downtown Seattle to near the airport, then there's a shuttle bus that takes you to the airport itself. Eventually there will be a station at the airport, but not in time for the 2009 cruise season. I personally rode the light rail for the first time yesterday. It stops in the bus tunnel, so if you're down there catching a bus to get some other place within the downtown core, be aware that you can also hop on the light rail and it'll stop at those same stops. Fare is $2 per person to the airport, and with the price increases for the bus, I think that makes it slightly cheaper than the bus during rush hour, or the same price as the bus when it's not rush hour. Unlike the bus, on Link you buy your ticket prior to boarding, and then they have conductors that come by sporadically to make sure everyone onboard paid their fare. Don't be surprised if you don't see a conductor, I didn't see one on the trip I took.

I realized I didn't put in links for the local transit agencies:

Metro (which runs the buses): http://transit.metrokc.gov

Sound Transit (which runs Link light rail): http://www.soundtransit.org

South Lake Union Street Car: http://www.seattlestreetcar.org

• 2 weeks later...

We're arriving at SeaTac on Sat Sept 12 at 9:45 & taking a taxi to (Pier 91?) the Golden Princess. We're thinking if all goes well we should be checked in and on the ship by 11:30. Thinking about going to Pikes Market. Someone said on another thread that there's a waterfront trail that is about a 35-45 min walk from Pier 91 to Pikes. Anyone have any more info on that?

Yes, Golden Princess will be at Pier 91.

To get to the walking trail when you come out of the cruise ship terminal, I'd ask the people around there the best walking route out of the terminal complex to get over to the walking trail that runs near Elliott Avenue (not Garfield St. and the Magnolia Bridge--that would be where you'd catch the bus). The walking trail is just west of Elliot Avenue on 16th Avenue. Here's a link to a PDF map (large file, will take lots of zooming) that shows the walking/bike trails around the north part of the city:

http://www.cityofseattle.net/transportation/docs/bikemapnorth6-25-09.pdf

The one you want is the Elliot Bay Trail. Pier 91 is that double pier sticking straight down, just north of Elliot Bay. You can see the red line of the trail running right past there.

I wouldn't assume that all will go well with check-in...it will take your taxi probably up to a half-hour from when you pull in through the gates until you actually get to the terminal building.

Thanks Beth. I'll copy the map and just play it by ear as to when we get there. We have time to visit Pikes when the cruise returns but won't be able to bring any flowers back to CA with us. Thought I could decorate my cabin for the cruise!! We'll see if we have time.;)

Sharon

Archived