Beware if you have previous customs problems

We were in Victoria yesterday and talked with a lady who come over from the US on a ferry. They stopped her husband because he had been caught entering Canada with some pot several decades ago. She came without him, and he is trying to get permission through the embassy in the state of Washington.

Let me get this right... the man was caught drug trafficking into Canada and they somehow expected him to be welcome to visit Canada with open arms?

And now they expect that the embassy will allow him into Canada in spite of the fact that he's a known drug trafficker? My guess... he will need a minister's permit (not just the normal rehabilitation form) and it can take several months to a year.... if ever. It's pretty normal that if you did the crime you would assume you aren't going to be welcomed back.

Why would ANYONE assume that they would be welcome to visit Canada after being caught trafficking drugs into the country? Would you expect the US government to allow Canadian criminals into the US?

Let me get this right... the man was caught drug trafficking into Canada and they somehow expected him to be welcome to visit Canada with open arms?

And now they expect that the embassy will allow him into Canada in spite of the fact that he's a known drug trafficker? My guess... he will need a minister's permit (not just the normal rehabilitation form) and it can take several months to a year.... if ever. It's pretty normal that if you did the crime you would assume you aren't going to be welcomed back.

Why would ANYONE assume that they would be welcome to visit Canada after being caught trafficking drugs into the country? Would you expect the US government to allow Canadian criminals into the US?

That is what I also thought......

As for the US governement letting anyone in ??? HA!!!! Over 20 years ago my bil (who at the time was 17 years old) was caught at the border crossing with half a joint in his cigarette package, which he had forgot about).

He was charged then later the charge was dropped BUT he still has trouble crossing the border, sometimes they let him through once they denied him. He has to get a special permit which might or might not work and is only good for a year or two....it costs a few hundred as well.

When I think trafficker I think someone hauling in large volumes not half a joint but the law is the law. I know my bil, who is one of the most law abiding person I know, regrets what happens.

How do we know he was drug "trafficking"? He was caught with pot which is very common, especially in the pacific northwest. Doesn't sound like a criminal to me - I think he should be welcome with open arms.

The guy had a couple joints in his possession for his own use in the 70s. Hardly the Cali Cartel.

His wife told me the man was advised by the folks who stopped him to seek permission through the embassy, and he is only following advice.

I was not advocating that he be(or not be) admitted-only trying to be helpful to other cruisers who may have something in their past that might red flag them so that those folks don't spend a lot of money to go on a cruise and then not be able to go (for example, they might be wanting to sail to Alaska from Vancouver).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

How do we know he was drug "trafficking"? He was caught with pot which is very common, especially in the pacific northwest. Doesn't sound like a criminal to me - I think he should be welcome with open arms.

Taking any illicit drug over the border is considered trafficking. He could have been prosecuted by Canada, but wasn't.

I've said it before, Canada and the US need to work in concert and standardize a lot of things, including pardons. But the US won't come to the table about it. The end result is situations like these. Sure, he may be reformed, but he still has to prove it. Just because you haven't been caught again doesn't mean you have been reformed.

Honestly, I can pretty much predict that the embassy is going to tell him to apply for rehabilitation, which can take a LONG time and needs a lot of supporting paperwork. Sure, poeple like Martha Stewart can get a minister's permit quickly, but I doubt this situation will get that kind of attention. Plus the fact that expediting this will cost the Canadian taxpayers a lot of money.

Sympathy, yes.... but it's the same cross-border nonsense that has been happening for years because the two countries can't seem to sit down and talk comprehensively about treating each other with dignity. Odd that we managed to figure out NAFTA but can't manage to figure out a way to better handle the largest open border in the world between the world's two largest trading partners.

Archived