hotel bed and breakfast in Valparaiso

bcnvcanada

Hi to everyone, We are looking for a good, clean, safe, and reasonable place to stay the night before a cruise from Valparaiso. Any suggestion would be greetly appreciated. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite place to stay is in Vina del Mar-Cap Ducal. Built like a ship on the seawall, every room has a water view. It is definitely not the newest or fanciest but the view and the experience are worth it and the price is right. There is a restaurant on the premises.

Second favorite place-Oceanic which is on the coast 10 minutes from downtown Vina. Breakfast is included. This is a European style hotel

Third-in Valparaiso-Brighton Hotel. Breakfast is included. This is an older restored mansion turned hotel high on a hill overlooking the port. Smaller rooms and some only have twin beds.

I have wanted to stay at the Grand House-another high on the hill mansion overlooking Valparaiso. But I have driven up there three times and they have been full. So advance reservations are definitely needed. This is a true B & B

I frequently use this agency to book hotels in Chile and Peru when I am there for business. I have had exceptional service and they generally have the best prices. They are actually based in Florida, with offices in Chile, Peru, Argentina and other places in SA. Enjoy!!!!

http://www.chile-hotels.com/

OT, how far is it from Santiago to Valparaiso? Thanks! :)

100 KM or so of very good freeway (mostly toll road). 1.5-2 hours drive straight through with no stops. Lot of wineries on this route.

100 KM or so of very good freeway (mostly toll road). 1.5-2 hours drive straight through with no stops. Lot of wineries on this route.

Thank you vry much. BTW, what transfers do most of the cruise folks use from the airport?

Here is a link to the B&B page of tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294306-c2-Valparaiso-Hotels.html

I recently stayed at the Harrington and rated it a B+ (not much of a breakfast and at $80/ night pricier than competition). It is located on Concepción hill which is supposedly the safest neighborhood in Valparaiso....about an $8 taxi ride to the pier. If I return to Valparaiso I would experiment with a different, highly rated place.

We stayed at Hotel Casa Thomas Somerscales (B&B) last year and had a great time the day before our cruise. It is the fomer home of Valparaiso's most famous painter. If you go to the Museo Historico Nacional in Santiago you will see his paintings (none in the B&B). It is high on a steep hill above the Muelle Prat (port). The streets are really rough but we enjoyed walking down as we like to walk. Check their website.

http://www.hotelsomerscales.cl

I cannot recommend The Yellow House more highly. Beautiful harbor and city views - right near the top of an ascensor for easy access everywhere. Charming blue rooms in the Yellow House. Great breakfasts, helpful, charming hosts Martin (an expat Aussie) and his wife Lizzette. They can also put you in touch with Michael the Pirate, a wonderful guide. Mention Andrea the travel writer if you book with them. My 2 1/2 days were a delight there. They can also do laundry reasonably, point you to great eating places, find you transportation to the ship or wherever. They opened the doors of Valpo to me.

Andrea

My husband and I are going on a HAL cruise December'09 Santiago(Valpo)to Rio. We cannot decide whether to stay the whole time at Santiago and tour from there or split our stay between Santiago and Valpo. Any opinions or suggestions?

Many thanks,

Margaret

My husband and I are going on a HAL cruise December'09 Santiago(Valpo)to Rio. We cannot decide whether to stay the whole time at Santiago and tour from there or split our stay between Santiago and Valpo. Any opinions or suggestions?

Many thanks,

Margaret

How many days??? I would definitely split the time between Santiago and Valparaiso/Vina. In fact, I like Vina/Valpo MUCH better than Santiago (and I am in the area at least 4 times per year for business).

IF you have more than a couple of days, you may want to stay at a winery. This place is probably my favorite in all of SA. A truly spectacular place-the carriage ride around the winery alone is worth the trip. Enjoy!!!

http://www.kiwicollection.com/property/casa-silva-hotel-chile

Archived