Florence -Help with ideas

samloveboat

We'll be in Florence on July 10th -

1) Does anyone know what we can do to be sure we get in to see the David. Someone told us even if you pre-buy or get advance reservations tickets you still have to wait in line and may not get in?

2) Has anyone used the Hop-on-hop-off bus?

I wonder how many people could tell the difference between the 2 Davids (provided they would "clean up" the one outside). I bet not too many...

Just a question - I am not suggesting you should not go and see "the real thing".

We'll be in Florence on July 10th -

1) Does anyone know what we can do to be sure we get in to see the David. Someone told us even if you pre-buy or get advance reservations tickets you still have to wait in line and may not get in?

2) Has anyone used the Hop-on-hop-off bus?

You should definitely purchase your tickets in advance, the line, if you don't is very long and it will be VERY HOT in Florence in July. We were there last June and it was oppressive but we had a wonderful time. Here's the link to reserve your tickets on line: http://www.florenceart.it/booking/

Florence may be my most favorite city. My grand niece and I absolutely love it after being introduced to it on two cruises. We spent a week there in January and it was absolutely delightful. In order to be sure you see the David at Accademia you really must make advance reservations. I've used tickitaly.com on two occasions and have not been disappointed. They book reservations in 15 minute intervals and I've never had to wait to get in beyond the appointed time. I was there in May and June and the lines in June were outrageous. We never would have made it had we not booked in advance. Of course, in January, we walked right in and were able to leisurely stroll around. I'm sure you'll love Florence.

We are on the Insignia leaving Athens 6/24/09 and are taking the O excursion to Florence. Do we need to buy/reserve tivkets to see the David enven if we are on the excursion? What do you recommend?

Thanks, Charlotte

We are on the Insignia leaving Athens 6/24/09 and are taking the O excursion to Florence. Do we need to buy/reserve tivkets to see the David enven if we are on the excursion? What do you recommend?

Thanks, Charlotte

Not if your excursion includes a visit to the Accademia. Check the itinerary & inclusions of your shore excursion.

We are on the same cruise as you and are just going to take the train in and do a walking tour. We hired a driver for Marseille and our friends hired a driver in Amalfi. One couple hired a driver to take them to Cinque Terre tour from Livorno port. We just decided to be on our own that day.

• 9 months later...

We are going to be in La Spezia in May and are thinking about going to Florence on an excursion. Can you tell me what were the top five things you would recommend seeing?

I am trying to decide whether to take a train or a private excursion. Any recommendations?

Florence is a wonderful, walkable city. Definitely not a but tour kind of town unless the tour includes alot of walking. I highly recommend taking the train. The main station is a 5-10 minute walk from the Duomo and then just about everything else is 10-15 mintues from there.

Suggestions....

David - until you've seen him in person, you just can't comprehend why they call him Michaelangelo's masterpiece.

Duomo & Baptistry

Ponte Vecchio

Santa Croce Church - crypts of Michaelangelo, Gallileo and Machiavelli

I just love wandering the streets of Florence. Such incredible history...

Walk along the Arno

If you overnight in Livorno, consider going to Lucca the second day. A beautiful medival town with an intact wall. It's near Pisa, so you can stop and take in the Leaning Tower and Cathedral there as well.

Joe

Hi We will be doing the same ports in July on Nautica Barcelona - Venice can you tell me what tour companies you are using in Marseille, Amalfi and Livorno. There has not been much on the roll call for this cruise. We are from Australia. Thanks

Archived