Mariner why are you not going back to Mexico

Royal Caribbean announced on its Web site last night that the ships rerouted due to the H1N1 flu, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas and Enchantment of the Seas, "will resume port calls in Cozumel, Mexico, beginning with sailings that depart on or after May 24, 2009." Additionally, Mariner of the Seas will continue to sail a modified Pacific Northwest itinerary through the scheduled June 14 cruise.

THIS IS UNFAIR WE BOOKED SO FAR IN ADVANCE..WE want our June 14th cuise back to Mexico .what do you think?:mad:

Royal Caribbean announced on its Web site last night that the ships rerouted due to the H1N1 flu, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas and Enchantment of the Seas, "will resume port calls in Cozumel, Mexico, beginning with sailings that depart on or after May 24, 2009." Additionally, Mariner of the Seas will continue to sail a modified Pacific Northwest itinerary through the scheduled June 14 cruise.

THIS IS UNFAIR WE BOOKED SO FAR IN ADVANCE..WE want our June 14th cuise back to Mexico .what do you think?:mad:

Have you contacted Royal Caribbean about this yet? They will work with you on rescheduling and also offer you a few things as compensation. I would attempt to discuss this with them. If possible maybe they will move it a week later. I would make sure that you contact them and work something out. If enough of the cruisers do this maybe something will get done.

I think they are doing the right thing in not going to Mexico.

For the Freedom, Liberty, and Enchantment, it was only one port of call. It didn't affect the schedule that much. I was upset at first that our port was initially canceled, but I got over it.

The Mariner had to reschedule it's entire itenerary. They had to deal with SO many passengers complaining, cancelling, and re-booking. How would you feel if you switched to a Caribbean cruise and had to pay thousands more for fare differences and flights, and then they changed it back to Mexico? Additionally, there is the cost that I'm sure all of the last-minute arrangements and port changes cost them in addition to passenger compensation.

Take the compensation offered to you and make the best of your cruise. The Mariner is an amazing ship and I'd rather be on her than the Freedom.

I think this is just a bad scenario for RCI. If they rerouted Mariner again to send her back to Mexico, then the people who booked the Pacific Northwest would be upset. If they leave her alone, the people who originally wanted Mexico are upset. No win situation here. Maybe they are thinking that out of the people who really did want Mexico, most rebooked for later in the summer so it is best to leave Mariner going north as they have been selling for the past few weeks. I'm not saying it is fair for everyone, but I don't know how they could make everyone happy in this circumstance.

I think they are doing the right thing in not going to Mexico.

For the Freedom, Liberty, and Enchantment, it was only one port of call. It didn't affect the schedule that much. I was upset at first that our port was initially canceled, but I got over it.

The Mariner had to reschedule it's entire itenerary. They had to deal with SO many passengers complaining, cancelling, and re-booking. How would you feel if you switched to a Caribbean cruise and had to pay thousands more for fare differences and flights, and then they changed it back to Mexico? Additionally, there is the cost that I'm sure all of the last-minute arrangements and port changes cost them in addition to passenger compensation.

Take the compensation offered to you and make the best of your cruise. The Mariner is an amazing ship and I'd rather be on her than the Freedom.

Good advice here. Take the compensation and enjoy the cruise. Also let us know what you get as compensation. That will be interesting. We have been on Mariner and we loved that ship, going on Freedom in July. It is going to be interesting to see if we like Freedom even 1/2 as good as we did Mariner. Still it is going to be nice to get away. Keep after RCCL and see what happens. good Luck to you as well.

Could also be that the arrangements for other ports are under a contractual agreement making it hard to change back.

I'm part of an administrative team at a high school in TX, and we just experienced this with senior prom. School was cancelled, as well as, all activities. CDC and state health dept. then changes their recommendations telling us to get students back to class. Now we could have prom except that DJ's, flowers, tux's have been re-scheduled, location is moved and original location now unavailable. arrrrggggg Changes had to stay in place. Very frustrating. I know....it's prom. Not a big deal for us as adults, but the end of the world for seniors and their last ever big school event. ;)

I really understand all of the behind the scenes juggling that goes on to ensure all is running smoothly. Typically, there needs to be compromise, and some deal with that better than others. As a friend of mine likes to say, "the only person who likes changes is a baby with a wet diaper." :)

I agree with some of the others....unfortunately, the Mariner has contracted with the ports and has made a commitment thru the week of June 14th. Is it possible to work with Royal Caribbean to book another date.

Also, We are less than a month out from your cruise, the first cruise to abort Mexico was 4/26. Have you discussed what alternatives RCCL has for you???

Many have canceled, or re booked for a time after June 14th. Now, many that want to do the Pacific Northwest run (we are on the 5/31 cruise) and what would they do......if all of a sudden RCCL announced that the June 14th cruise was going to Mexico?

Unfortunately, for RCCL......they are in a "no win" situation. I hope that you can reschedule so that you can enjoy the Mexican Riviera.

Rick

I see it as RCCL trying to do the least harm to guest relations by keeping the NW Pacific sailings in place they have sold. The Mex Riv pax are already upset in some cases about the change so changing back would upset a whole new group of pax, and as others said even those who change to Caribben sailings who would now see and want to be back on Mariner.

RCCL is doing whnat it can to make as many happy as possible while dealing with a situation for which they have really no control.

Hope all have a great cruise.

Rick, enjoy this once in a blue moon opportunity to sail up the mainland US coast and back all in a single week.

it's still to risky. the H1N1 is dangerous in those ports and there is a possibility it is festering. Royal is making the right call with opening up Cozumel on the east coast, but the west coast is just not feasible right now. rebook.

I've been on cruises to Mexico and enjoyed them, but I wouldn't want to go now, not so much because of worries over swine flu but because of the increasing violence from warring drug cartels. I read that just a couple of days ago four college-aged kids from San Diego had gone to Tijuana to visit the clubs and were found beaten and stabbed to death in a van. I would much rather go to the Pacific Northwest.

I've been on cruises to Mexico and enjoyed them, but I wouldn't want to go now, not so much because of worries over swine flu but because of the increasing violence from warring drug cartels. I read that just a couple of days ago four college-aged kids from San Diego had gone to Tijuana to visit the clubs and were found beaten and stabbed to death in a van. I would much rather go to the Pacific Northwest.

The border town violence is a totally different issue, and one which needs to be even better addressed by the Mexican Government. The cruise ports are generally safer, but if in Mexico watch where you go, regardless of what town it may be.

Those kids were involved in buying drugs and unfortunately got themselves killed. Use common sense when travelling anywhere, in Mexico or the U.S.

We were on Mariner 6/14 and rebooked for 6/21. They will work with you and offer incentives. If you remain on your current cruise to PNW, they will give you OBC on this cruise and FCC for another MR cruise. For us, it was $700 OBC and $600 FCC because we had a JS with 3 people. We switched to 6/21 and upgraded to a GS. It was way more expensive, we had to pay ridiculous airline change fees ($400 per person), but now we are getting what we want. In the grand scheme of life, you just have to do what will make you happy. In the end, $2200 (the money it cost us to change), doesn't mean anything compared to celebrating with my two best friends!

RCI won't change Mariner back now on 6/14. As others have stated, they are locked in with port fees and those that have booked wanting to go to PNW. That's why we changed. However, if you DO want to stay on 6/14 and have a JS or lower, you might want to consider upgrading or changing your JS to the one we gave up. 1694 is a deck 10 aft that apparently has a fantastic view. As of this morning, it was still there!

You will have fun no matter what!

You are correct -- when RCI made the decision to temporarily move Mariner to Pac NW cruises, yet still sailing out of L.A., they committed through the June 14th sailing with possibility of continuing to Pac NW well into AUGUST if necessary. This was announced loudly and clearly on their notices and here on Cruise Critic and elsewhere. The same info could be found by simply calling RCI's offices and speaking to a rep in 'Resolutions.'

People were upset all around, but some were OK with the change and others booked simply BECAUSE they liked the new cool weather itinerary. The ship is not sailing full, however, because many who wanted Mexico simply canceled and/or rebooked for later or planned other vacations.

The commitment to Pac NW passengers remains thru June 14 sailing, as does the commitment to the ports of call up there.

We were initially booked on 5/31 Mariner to Mexico, then took the cancellation and have just decided to rebook for early July since it looks like Mexico is back on schedule.

For those out there who think Mexican Riviera is somehow more dangerous than other ports of call, or there is more swine flu or whatever, you are incorrect. There are no big outbreaks of flu in those port towns any more than in cities along Pac NW route.

If one stays in tourist areas of Mexico and behaves themselves, there is little likelihood of trouble. I know Americans living in Baja who cross the border daily for work and there have been absolutely NO changes throughout this entire debacle, nor any crime increase.

I would say RCI has done its best under really lousy circumstances to please everyone. Yes, it's confusing, yes, reps are working overtime (and not just at RCI), but things are smoothing out a bit now.

If someone who originally booked for Mexico and then agreed to go to Pac NW now wants to go to Mexico again, they will have to contact RCI ASAP and try to rebook for June 21 or later. I suspect RCI will be accommodating since ships are NOT sailing full.

I agree with some of the others....unfortunately, the Mariner has contracted with the ports and has made a commitment thru the week of June 14th. Is it possible to work with Royal Caribbean to book another date.

Also, We are less than a month out from your cruise, the first cruise to abort Mexico was 4/26. Have you discussed what alternatives RCCL has for you???

Many have canceled, or re booked for a time after June 14th. Now, many that want to do the Pacific Northwest run (we are on the 5/31 cruise) and what would they do......if all of a sudden RCCL announced that the June 14th cruise was going to Mexico?

Unfortunately, for RCCL......they are in a "no win" situation. I hope that you can reschedule so that you can enjoy the Mexican Riviera.

Rick

Forgot to add that they gave us a deadline of this Tuesday, 5/19 to make any changes or cancellations for the 6/14 sailing. And we got $300 OBC for changing to 6/21 (because we have a suite with three people).

I think this is just a bad scenario for RCI. If they rerouted Mariner again to send her back to Mexico, then the people who booked the Pacific Northwest would be upset. If they leave her alone, the people who originally wanted Mexico are upset. No win situation here. Maybe they are thinking that out of the people who really did want Mexico, most rebooked for later in the summer so it is best to leave Mariner going north as they have been selling for the past few weeks. I'm not saying it is fair for everyone, but I don't know how they could make everyone happy in this circumstance.

I see it as RCCL trying to do the least harm to guest relations by keeping the NW Pacific sailings in place they have sold. The Mex Riv pax are already upset in some cases about the change so changing back would upset a whole new group of pax, and as others said even those who change to Caribben sailings who would now see and want to be back on Mariner.

RCCL is doing whnat it can to make as many happy as possible while dealing with a situation for which they have really no control.

Hope all have a great cruise.

Rick, enjoy this once in a blue moon opportunity to sail up the mainland US coast and back all in a single week.

I agree with both of ya'll! Changing back to Mexico on Mariner would create lots of problems!

Both the Swine flu and the Violence scares me from going to mexico! Thank goodness Cozumel is an island away from the mainland!

Our 6/28 Mariner sailing has a GREAT senior rate on insides and balconies! You could consider rebooking, and if you have a senior with you, it could end up ridiculously cheap! Some of our group got upgraded to balconies, and will be getting money back. I let our SoCal family members know the new rates, but they're still a little concerned re. the flu...sigh.

Good luck, whatever you do. It's about 90 deg. in the Bay Area today, so at least tomorrow's Mariner passengers will have a great day!

When we were in Cabo, our kayaking guide told us to please go back home and tell people that they are not running around shooting people down there. The violence is mostly in the border towns. I have never felt unsafe in Mexico, but I certainly have in parts of Vancouver and in US cities, like LA and New Orleans.:rolleyes:

Agree -- those upcoming Mexico trips are offering great deals especially for those over 55. Just in general the rates are good, too. The last Pac NW sailings are dirt cheap, and for cooler weather devotees, are a fine option.

In all my years of cruising, I will never have paid LESS than I am paying for 6/28 Mariner cruise. And that's since 1981 on ancient ships with zero amenities like outlets for hairdryers, radios, phones, etc. You cannot imagine what it was like, yet we all had a grand time on those 600 passenger, 20,000 ton ships!

Looking back, I paid twice what I am paying now way back in early eighties for those old ships of the Carnival line, ie., Mardi Gras and Carnivale, and others --

All things considered, no matter what happens on Mariner this summer, the prices should make a huge difference in peoples' moods. It's a buyer's market now folks -- on any ship or cruise line.

Our 6/28 Mariner sailing has a GREAT senior rate on insides and balconies! You could consider rebooking, and if you have a senior with you, it could end up ridiculously cheap! Some of our group got upgraded to balconies, and will be getting money back. I let our SoCal family members know the new rates, but they're still a little concerned re. the flu...sigh.

Good luck, whatever you do. It's about 90 deg. in the Bay Area today, so at least tomorrow's Mariner passengers will have a great day!

On the drug violence issue, I recall seeing guards with machine guns in the port at Cabo San Lucas and I know the Mexican authorities feel strongly about keeping cruise passengers safe so it should be fine to visit there as well as the other ports. Last year, however, someone I worked with told of a friend vacationing in Cabo San Lucas (apparently she and her family went there every year) who went out jogging in the streets around her resort early one morning and was found beaten in the street and wound up permanently brain-damaged. I'm not really not trying to drum up fear and I'm sure the most popular tourist areas are as safe as ever (I enjoyed my previous trips very much) but it did turn me off, personally, from visiting there for awhile.

Archived