Westerdam review (5/10-5/17)

SonomaDriver

Perspective: We're in our late 30's/early 40's (ok she's in her late 30's) with two young kids. This cruise was sans kids for us to reconnect on our tenth anniversary. The Westerdam just repositioned from Florida to cover for Oosterdam's refit and was sold out for this, the first Alaska cruise of her season.

Overall: Another well delivered HAL cruise.

Pros: Food was outstanding and Diane Fast at the piano bar was amazing (she learned the names of every person that came into the bar to listen).

Cons: Seattle terminal. Security lines are crazy when two ships are boarding at the same time as Westerdam and Star Princess will all summer on Sundays.

The Ugly: A one day bout with Noro (the only case onboard as far as I know).

DW and I flew up from Santa Rosa, CA on Horizon. We dropped off our bags (and a box of nice wine) by Door 00 in baggage claim and hopped on the Grey Line for the trip to the pier.

TSA/Security: As most of you know, Seattle opened a new $91m terminal for HAL/Princess. As nice as it looks, here's the kicker...Star Princess and Westerdam arrive and depart at the same time/same day. Between the two ships that's about 4,800 passengers trying to board at the same time.

There were two security checkpoints for Westerdam and three for Star Princess. As many of you do-get there early. For us, we couldn't so we stood through a 90 min line to get through security.

Check-In/Boarding: We booked an SA class suite for the trip. Yea it was a splurge but my wife deserved it after putting up with my absurd work schedule of late. Deluxe Veranda Suites/Penthouse Suites have their own check-in so no line there. We were then on the ship in less than five minutes. Given how long it took to get through security, we were able to go straight to our suite where we popped open the champagne.

Suite Amenities: We had access to the Neptune Lounge with conceirge located on our deck (Rotterdam-Deck 7). The staff were great and the room was a combination lounge, snack area with little things to eat throughout the day. We also attended the cocktail party with the officers. Captain Peter Harris is a great guy; very approachable and has a great understated "British" sense of humor which I appreciated especially since my wife is British.

Food: This is a main selling point for HAL in our view and Westerdam did not disappoint. The Surf and Turf on the last formal night was amazing.

Special Events: We elected to do the Chef's Table special event which was in the Culinary Arts Center on Thursday night. It's $129/person and limited to 20 folks. Yea its not cheap! Chef Andreas cooks up each course and explains tips/tricks about each one then they are presented to us paired with some high end wines selected by JJ, the Sommelier.

My wife and I are foodies. My wife and I do dinner parties etc and food is part cult, part religion and all important to us :) This meal was one of the best we've ever had...thats saying something given the restaurants we've been to over the last ten years. Our table-mates were equally impressed. The wine flowed like water and the portions were very generous. What a great night!

Spa: It was $250 for the two of us for a week-long pass to the Thermal Suite/Hydrotherapy pools. Except for one day, it was never crowded and a great place to relax.

Stops: Glacier Bay (cruising). Some idiots decided to ignore all of the posted notices and broadcast announcements and proceeded to feed the wild birds up on the Lido deck and Observation deck. This earned a ship wide broadcast rebuke from the Captain. Alaskans have a saying "a fed wild animal is a dead wild animal." If the processed stuff doesn't kill them, dependency on human feeding will.

Juneau (I saw the town while my wife did the mountain biking and Alaska Brewery tour (ok I joined her for the tour and drinking!). Once I was out of quarantine, I saw the town in the morning (more on that below).

Sitka: We tendered in and found a bike shop (The Yellow Jersey) and rented two mountain bikes and proceeded to explore ($54 for two bikes for the day). We visited the Raptor Center housing all sorts of predatory birds including bald eagles (this was visited by folks off the ship via bus). We also biked over to a park at the east end of town and hiked through the rain forest. We then proceeded to bike and hike through trails to the north of town for a few hours.

Ketchekan: We did the Eagle Island Ocean Kayaking with Southeast Exposures. Marla and Jeremy were great guides and we saw bald eagles and some other local sea critters.

Victoria: We skipped going ashore in favor of dinner at the Pinacle Grill.

Unexpected Visitor: I woke up about 1 a.m. Tuesday morning with the classic symptoms of either food poisoning or Noro. I'll skip the details....

I went to the medical bay on A Deck as soon as it opened at 8 a.m. After noting my symptoms, they rejected food poisoning in favor of a GIS diagnosis aka Noro. I was handed a plastic bag with Immodium, Tylenol, anti-nausea meds and a pre-printed letter from our Captain about the importance of washing....I'm pretty fanatical about hygene, especially on-board ship so I was at a bit of a loss as to how I got it. They ordered me to my cabin on pain of "disembarkation." I wasn't about to expose anyone and the symptoms eased after a dose of Immodium. The Neptune Lounge concierge ensured I got full service from the main dining room for dinner which was really cool.

Once 24 hrs went by with no symptoms, I was cleared to head into Juneau. As far as I know, there were no other cases on-board and my wife didn't get it thankfully.

Conclusions: HAL delivers. Yea that 24 hr whatever wasn't fun but I can't pin it to my hygene and the ship was clean as usual so I filed it under the s**t happens category. The food amazing and the staff top notch.

HAL's demographic is an older crowd so if you have kids, better off to go to Carnival, Disney or perhaps Princess. We were one of the younger couples on the ship. If you are looking for great food and a place to reconnect with your significant other, HAL delivers.

Thank you for the review!!!

We will board the Westerdam in 2 weeks (5/31) - can't wait!

What was the duration of your dinner in the Pinnacle? We have it booked for one night and was wondering if it really does take 2-1/2 hours?

Also did you attend any of the shows? Any worthwhile/must see?

Do you recall until what time breakfast and lunch are served?

What excursions did you do?

THANKS!

We were on this cruise with our kids and grandkids. There were more kids than I usually see on a HAL cruise. My 4 year old grandson loved Club HAL. Our group was sick a lot on this cruise, but we did not have noro. My one year old granddaughter came down with pink eye and an upper respiratory infection. There was a a lot of coughing amongst us.

Anyway I think the highlight of the cruise was the absolutely beautiful day we had in Glacier Bay!

I don't know how they will be able to improve the cruise terminal situation. There just doesn't seem to be enough room!

SonomaDriver, I was just thinking about what to do in Sitka and Juneau. Your post was right on. I was hoping to rent a bike to combine a little exercise with some sight seeing. I just now lost the 10 pounds from the last cruise. Saw there is a tour in Sitka but like to go where ever I want. You already helped out but any other details would be great.

Thank you for your review. We are doing the same in 2 weeks.

Couple of questions, if you don't mind.

How were the crowds in Juneau? I understand there are 3 ships in port on the same day, was it crowded?

How smooth of sailing was it...any choppy waters?

How did the tendering in Sitka go...did it take a while to get everyone off that wanted to get off?

In Glacier Bay, where is the best place to view the scenery and how were the elements, weather wise?

Sorry to ask so many questions, appreciate your time.

Sorry that you were sick, glad it was short lived.

Thanks for your review.

We got off the ship the day you got on.

We also thought that pier 91 is terrible.

On our disembarkation day, there were only about a half dozen porters to help people with their luggage.

Which system did you have for disembarkation? The silent one? Or the old traditional one where you are called by numbers and colors?

Ok, to answer some of the questions posed:

Scoochy12-The Pinacle Grill experience takes about 2 hours. It's not something to be rushed since most of us dont have the time/money etc for a fine dining experience on a regular basis.

The Lido Buffet (which we don't frequent) is open more or less from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. give or take. Sit down breakfasts in the Vista Dining Room are around 7 or 7:30 to 9 a.m. and for lunch from 12-1:30 p.m.

Bruised Orange: The Yellow Jersey bike shop has a map of the area which includes roads and trails. The Sitka Crossing trail we took is really a hiking trail; we had to walk or carry our bikes in parts due to the steep stairs. It was a good workout for us but would be annoying for others. The shop opens at 9 a.m.

dandro: All of the ports are going to be crowded. Our week was "light" because four or five other big ships had yet to start their summer seasons. Juneau had three ships initially (including Westerdam) and the Star Princess arrived as the Norwegian Pearl left. The area right around the docks is a zoo; if you aren't into crowds, walk outside that area or get an excursion that is outside of Juneau.

Seas: It was mostly calm for us. Friday night did feature 10-15 foot seas and gale force winds but we were sailing right into the swell so it wasn't uncomfortable. The weather is highly variable in Alaska though.

Tendering: Westerdam ran three or four tenders so the wait wasn't an issue. If you didn't book a suite, you have to go to a lounge to get a tender ticket or it is issued as part of a tour/excursion you buy. There's no cost to tender into port and it takes 10-15 mins once you board. The lines were minimal after the inital rush (we boarded at around 8:45 a.m.)

Glacier Bay: I was quarantined to my room but saw everything from our veranda. They open the bow of the ship to folks while in Glacier Bay but I think the observation deck or the rear part of the lido deck would be best for a 360 degree view.

Rocky365: We got to the docks around 1:20 or 1:30 p.m. Given our flight landed at 12:15, its about the best we could manage. I'd suggest getting to the terminal by 11 a.m. if you can; noonish to 2:30 p.m. its a zoo. The fact the Star Princess has the same boarding/unboarding schedule as Westerdam is unfortunate given the small number of TSA checkpoints.

For those of you not yet booked for Westerdam, arrange to get to the dock early or consider possibly another ship that isn't sharing the pier with a Princess ship. They might be able to squeeze one or perhaps two more checkpoints into that space but don't count on it. Whoever thought that five checkpoints for 4,800 passengers (not counting crew reboarding) is enough was smoking something really strong....

We were on this cruise too. Things were fine except Pier 91. What a zoo. Those of us not booked into a suite had to check our bags the old fashion way. Stand in another long line and deal with the long shoremen who work and their own speed. Sloooooooooooooooww. That took a while and then up thru another long line at security. I don't remember this at Bell St teminal at all. I think you're right about two very large ships trying to embark at the same time. Some how HAL comes out on the short end of the stick. When we got there noonish there where no porters to be seen. The off load of passengers from cars and taxis also needs to be fine tuned. We had 5 couples traveling with us, I was worried the whole cruise would be like this. But it wasn't of course. Things were great. Way too much fun and much easier getting off the ship. We had a porter. YEA!! Hopefully next time we sail out of Seattle, they'll have the bugs worked out of the system. Captain seemed peeved over the way things were or were not happening in Seattle. His word most likely weighs more than our little voices.

I was hoping Seattle might have a survey about 91. May-be I'll got to the Port of Seattle web site and send a little email. If we all did that may-be things would happen to make embarkation easier.

Anyway, we had a wonderful time, the weather was perfect, crew wonderful as always and I hated getting off.

Linda

Welcome Home :) I am sorry to hear about your 24 touch of Noro but better to report like you did. Sounds like your case was very mild and that it cleared up quickly.

We like a few others that posted will be boarding the Westerdam in less than 2 weeks so we are very excited. I have two questions. Did they offer the Master Chef's Dinner during the week? I am guessing not due to the fact that your last night you were in Victoria. Which actually leads me to another related question ;) Was the Pinnacle open for lunch every day or ONLY Sea Days? We were fortunately that on our recent Statendam cruise the Pinnacle was open for lunch every day and we actually enjoyed port days for lunch there. In recent cruises I have come to enjoy the Lunch in the Pinnacle almost more than dinner :D

My 2nd question is for the Final night when you were in Victoria did they move the dining times up due to arriving in Victoria and what were the Dining Time if you did not have Dine As You Wish? In past years dining in Alaska was 15 minutes earlier than other HAL sailings.

Thanks so much, sounds like despite your little 24 hour bug you still had a marvelous cruise on the Westerdam :)

Laffen: The Chef's table dinner was during the week (Thursday) with champagne flowing starting at 6 p.m. with dinner at 6:30 p.m. in the Culinary Arts Center.

I'm not sure but thought the Grill was open regardless of port calls.

On the last night, we were at the Grill but the Vista hours changed with early seating at 5 p.m. and late seating at 7 p.m. The selections were slightly less varied but not by much.

We did as you wish dining and sauntered in around 8 p.m. when we were at the Vista room. We never waited; sometimes we shared a table with others and sometimes we had a table for two (we were able to snag either table 104, 106 or 108 for two-on your right as you enter the lower level of the Vista room).

hi,

we were on the may 10 cruise as well.

everyone's right. getting on the ship at pier 91 was not a pleasant experience. we arrived at about 1:45 pm. i guess the earlier the better.

food was plentiful, varied and well prepared - no complaints there.

best excursion we did was the helicopter ride and glacier walk on mendenhall glacier in juneau.

the day in glacier bay was spectacular. watchin the glacier calve was an experience, accentuated by the sound of the ice cracking - like loud thunder.

entertainment was well done. except for sunday night's introductory show, the performances in the theatre were well done. don't miss joel mason.

one performer you've got to see is a guy named ian cooney. he's up in the crow's nest playing guitar every night. if you like songs from the 60's, 70's, and 80's, you'll love listening to him - great voice, super personality. he's probably one of the best kept secrets on the ship. you won't regret going up there to listen to him. tell him A B sent you.

we used the signature express baggage service offered for disembarkation. our boarding passes were printed on the ship and delivered to our room, our bags were taken to the airport and we didn't see them again until we picked them up at baggage claim when we landed at home - great service!

Thanks to all who have posted info about this ship. I have never sailed with Hal before and have found this to be very informative.. We are sailing from seattle on the westerdam in aug. Glad I booked the suite now that I have heard about the lines at the pier.... SK cat deck 6 starboard side.

My husband and I and my sister will be traveling together... We have always done the WARM weather ports as we live in Seattle but thought I would head north to see the glaciers.. We have booked a whale watching trip. Looking forward to that..... And other sugguestion would be greatly appricated... Thanks

Thanks to all who have posted info about this ship. I have never sailed with Hal before and have found this to be very informative.. We are sailing from seattle on the westerdam in aug. Glad I booked the suite now that I have heard about the lines at the pier.... SK cat deck 6 starboard side.

My husband and I and my sister will be traveling together... We have always done the WARM weather ports as we live in Seattle but thought I would head north to see the glaciers.. We have booked a whale watching trip. Looking forward to that..... And other sugguestion would be greatly appricated... Thanks

What is an SK category?

The suite check-in is for only passengers who have booked the PS, SA, SB and SC categories.

Hello All!

We are sailing her in July and cannot wait to go! Thanks for all the great information you have posted so far. I had just a couple of questions if you might be able to help me out:

1. Did you remember getting the Alaskan commemorative dinner? And if so, which night was it on?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=956206

2. Which night was formal night?

Thank you so very much!

I forgot to mention--as we were debarking on Sunday, maybe about 9:15 they called a bright star to the captain's cabin. We then got off and do not know what it was about.

Judy I heard something about this as well but have not heard any outcome other than the Captain was taken to the Hospital and another Captain was being brought in for that day's sailing. I certainly hope he was alright and it was something minor and taking precautions.

I don't recall there being a particular Alaskan commerative dinner. They had two different salmon main courses at every dinner in the Vista Dining Room. They had at least one berry type gazpacho/soup/compote with each dinner as well.

I'm bummed to hear Capt. Harris was taken ill. Hopefully our the investigation division of CC springs into action (peers at Laffnvegas) and we get the scoop. The fact a relief captain was brought in worries me though.

Formal nights were Monday and Friday on Westerdam's schedule.

Also, in order to head off any flames that this was too cheerleader/ra-ra a review, my wife did send back a salad from the Vista at lunch on Saturday due to it having no bleu cheese as advertised and was swimming in dressing. HAL does tend to oversauce/overdress stuff by default but a request to put things on the side fixes that.

How's that for "fair and balanced?"

:eek::eek:

What is an SK category?

The suite check-in is for only passengers who have booked the PS, SA, SB and SC categories.

Sorry My Bad we are in Cat SY 9a superior suite cat) Which is not part of the fast check in Oh well looks like I will be standing in line with the masses..:eek:

Thanks for your review.

We got off the ship the day you got on.

We also thought that pier 91 is terrible.

On our disembarkation day, there were only about a half dozen porters to help people with their luggage.

Which system did you have for disembarkation? The silent one? Or the old traditional one where you are called by numbers and colors?

We were also on the 5-10-09 cruise from Ft. Lauderdale thru the canal to Seattle and yes it was a mess trying to get off ship that Sunday. We were scheduled to get off around 9:15 with our color and number but it was closer to 9:45am until called. Then the line snaked thru the ship which took over 30 minutes to get to the gang plank. After finding our luggage quickly in the terminal we went thru customs very quickly. The officer never even looked at our passports. Then the mess got worse once out in the parking lot. Very pooly orgainized. One lane of traffic into the dock that spread out into 3 lanes. It was a horse pattern for the traffic but at the bottom of the horseshoe (nearest the terminal) it went back to one lane. Then the problem was compounded as everyone was jammed up in the middle of the horseshoe pattern under the awaning waiting for their rides. Add to that travelers coming to the dock trying to get on the ships for the cruise to Alaska later that day and it acting you were a salmon swiming up stream. Our daughter finally worked her way to us and we got out of there a little after 11:00am. I never saw any shuttle that would take you to the parking lot if you left a car there. If I were going to get on a ship this Sunday for a cruise to Alaska I would wait well after 12:00 noon to go to the dock. Hopefully that will let disembaking passengers the chance to leave and cause less of a problem getting onto the ship. I think early disembarking passengers on 5-10-09 got out quickly but not us later ones. That was the only thing wrong with our 21 day "Mystery" cruise. Even after having 4 Mexico stops canceled. Had a great time and the crew was fantastic, especially Captain Harris. He was better than one comedian we had on board. He put on two question and answer shows for the quests and that was fun.

Archived