Bringing beer onboard.

Rasta Pirate

A friend of mine recently moved from Toronto, Canada to Mexico. I will be visiting him on my upcoming cruise, and asked him if there was anything I could bring him. He replied with a request for a specific kind of beer that he's not able to find in Mexico, so I would like to bring him a six pack of his favorite beer.

My question is . . . . Can I pack cans of beer in my checked luggage without fear of it exploding while in- flight? (do to the cargo area not being presurrized)

Has anyone tried this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

RP

Well I hate to burst you bubble...but one of my cans on my second cruise did get punctured and leaked all over my wife's formal gown...thank god she loves me....so do it...as Helen Keller once said "life is either a daring adventure or nothibg at all"...just me sure your "proper" clothes are not in the same bag.

Bob&france

Yes, beer cans can puncture inside a bag if they get pressed mightily against a screw or something inside the bag. I lost a glorious Estonian Saku this way once inside my rollaway. <sniff, sniff>

But the checked bag space on the airliner itself has never caused my beer a rupture by low pressure.

When I took a cruise out of San Juan on the Fascination I put 2 12 packs in my luggage from Boston. The next time I saw the bag it was in my cabin and everything was fine. We kept refilling the buckets "O" beer with the ones we had brought on.

I took a Western Carib on the Conquest this past October which was dynamite. Brought on a whole lot of suds at embarkation and brought on additional replenishments of Red Stripe in Montego :D . Absolutely no problems of any kind. I'm now planning to travel on Glory this summer and am trying to begin addressing all of those "small but important details" now.

I've been made aware that some folks like to bring onboard the plastic bottles of beer in the flavors sold by the ship. Nothing looks out of order and you don't have to drink all of what you bring in your stateroom. My question is, what types of beer in plastic bottles does the Glory sell? Oh yeah, any idea when the formal nights are on the Eastern Carib cruise? Happy sailing.

I can't prove it, but I think the baggage guys might just do a test and puncture a can or two as a "check". It's happened twice to us.

I take a separate suitcase and put a 24 can case in the bottom with some padding around it.

If you want to take just a six pack, it might be safer to put socks around them and slip them in betwwen your cloths.

Have fun--I might take Labatt's on this next one myself.

The Glory sells plastic bottles and cans of Miller Lite at the pool bars. We brought cans in our checked luggage and a koozie and had no problems. Also, at ports we brought on beers in plastic shopping bags. They let you bring those on. They only collect liquor and return the last night.

Beer onboard - I am on the Triumph right now and it was very easy to bring beer on board. We had a suitcase especially for our drinks - 1 12 pack mic ultra, 1 12 pack bud lite and 6 plastic miller bottles. In addition, we brought 5 bottles of champainge (sp?) on with us as well. Had no problem with the airline or carnival!:D

Archived