Best Places to Snorkel in Cozumel...?

HopHarry

Hello all! I'm new to posting on the Cruise Critic message boards, but you all are always so wonderfully helpful, I thought I'd give it a try.

My husband and I are going on a cruise next year on the Carnival Inspiration, which we've been on once before, but this time, we'd like to go exploring on our own in Cozumel rather than purchase an excursion.

Any advice on the best places to snorkel in Cozumel? We were thinking of Chankanaab, but we weren't sure if it'd be too crowded. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hello all! I'm new to posting on the Cruise Critic message boards, but you all are always so wonderfully helpful, I thought I'd give it a try.

My husband and I are going on a cruise next year on the Carnival Inspiration, which we've been on once before, but this time, we'd like to go exploring on our own in Cozumel rather than purchase an excursion.

Any advice on the best places to snorkel in Cozumel? We were thinking of Chankanaab, but we weren't sure if it'd be too crowded. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Chankanaab is a great place to snorkle. There is also Playa Uvas which have great packages and Playa Palancar which they take you out in a boat to snorkel. We have done the first two and will try Palancar on our next cruise. We did not find it crowded at all at either place. With Playa Uvas you have to reserve because they only allow a certain amount of guests per day.

Chankanaab is a really nice place to snorkel and the sand is wonderful with nice palapas. Entrance to the water is a little tricky, but overall, a great place. I can't imagine it being "too crowded", as this wasn't even close to a problem when we were there..

Add Dzul Ha near The Money Bar to the other two places mentioned and you have the three best places to shore snorkel on Coz. Playa Uva is the only one that we haven't visited but it is in the same area and should be very similar. If you want better snorkeling you need to take a boat trip out to one of the reefs.

• 2 weeks later...
Add Dzul Ha near The Money Bar to the other two places mentioned and you have the three best places to shore snorkel on Coz. Playa Uva is the only one that we haven't visited but it is in the same area and should be very similar. If you want better snorkeling you need to take a boat trip out to one of the reefs.

Is there a lot of life in the places mentioned? By life I mean lots of colorful fish and a vibrant reef, or do you need to take a boat out to get that? Snorkeled in Belieze on the reef, but seemed it was dying, not many fish and the reef was turning black. Looking for a nice spot with lots of activity underwater.

Is there a lot of life in the places mentioned? By life I mean lots of colorful fish and a vibrant reef, or do you need to take a boat out to get that? Snorkeled in Belieze on the reef, but seemed it was dying, not many fish and the reef was turning black. Looking for a nice spot with lots of activity underwater.

You need a boat trip to get to the best snorkeling sites.

Chankanaab is a great place for a relaxing day, but with plenty to do. The hurricane from a couple of years ago really did a lot of damage to Chankanaab both on land and in the water. They had rebuilt everything by last November, and the coral and sea fans are coming back.

Charlie

You will see lots of fish but the coral is just starting to come back. Hurricane Wilma scrubbed the shallow areas. We went to Chankanaab last year and the fish are still there.

Archived