Cruising is Overwhelming

sherizel

So I'm leaving for my first cruise in 25 days, yay! I am so overwhelmed. I'm trying to do a lot of research so I don't forget anything but it seems I need day clothes, evening clothes, workout clothes, formal clothes, swimwear and then everything from extension cords to duct tape to over the door contraptions to pop up hampers. Ugh, this is tiring.

How many pieces of luggage does one woman normally bring? I was just planning on brining a 21" carry on and a 29" upright suitcase but I think I may be over the 50 lb airline weight limit with all this stuff and if that's the case I need another piece of luggage.

If you are flying, a 29" that is filled will be over the 50 pound limit and you'll be paying extra - in more ways than one. In general, the 29" suitcases are also over the airlines size restriction as well (H+W+D). I've found you can just get by the size and 50 pound weight restriction with a 26" that is not stuffed to the hilt.

When travelling, you shouldn't take more than is absolutely necessary. If you won't definitely wear something, then don't take it. Economize wherever possible. There is nothing wrong with wearing the same clothes more than once (other than socks/underwear). If you are taking workout clothes, you can easily wash them in the sink afterwards and air dry them instead of taking many sets. Likewise with the day clothes. I'll wear a T-shirt one day, then use it for my morning workout the next day - nobody really cares. As far as shorts, jeans, and bathing suit - two pair of each will go a week.

Likewise on evening clothes - nothing wrong with wearing the same dress/outfit two nights. Think mix and match - bring things that will go together in different ways and you'll get multiple uses and use less space.

Enjoy.

Howard

Archived