Anyone just back from the Jade?

dalyn

I am busy planing our August cruise on the Jade and was wondering if anyone just back could answer a few questions:

Has the changeover from Coke to Pepsi happened yet?

Did you see any mention of the Photo Frenzy package?

What were the shows / entertainment / Cruise Director like?

Any other tips / hints would be most appreicated, thanks in advance.

Since the switchover to pepsi is underway, I would bet it would be done by August.

There have been a handful of reports that the photo frency package did not work out for NCL and has been dropped.

I am busy planing our August cruise on the Jade and was wondering if anyone just back could answer a few questions:

Has the changeover from Coke to Pepsi happened yet?

Did you see any mention of the Photo Frenzy package?

What were the shows / entertainment / Cruise Director like?

Any other tips / hints would be most appreicated, thanks in advance.

Just got off the Jade last Saturday. It was a very nice ship (I will post a review soon) so you should have a great time. In answer to your questions:

1) No. Coke products are still in place.

2) No. Did not hear about that.

3) My cabinmates and I did not attend any shows as they didn't interest us. My mother and her husband went to a few and thought they were all great. Here's a list of the big shows that were on during our cruise:

Day 1 - Welcome Aboard Show (Cruise Director leads preview of upcoming shows)

Welcome Aboard Dance Party

Day 2 - SHOUT! The Mod Musical

An Evening With Laurence Robinson (a British tenor)

Day 3 - SHOUT!

Day 4 - Stars On Strings (marionette artists)

Karaoke Superstar

Day 5 - Los Mulero (Spanish music, flamenco, etc.)

Country Western Hoe Down

Day 6 - Stars on Strings

A Night of Enchantment (opera, jazz, big band)

Day 7 - Los Mulero

Showdown! (10 vocalists compete and audience chooses winner)

Day 8 - Showdown!

Paul Adams (comedian)

Day 9 - Duo Platchkov (Russian circus performers)

And The World Goes Round (broadway songs)

Day 10 - same as Day 9

Day 11 - Paul Adams

Alex and Haylee Louise (illusionists)

Day 12 - Alex and Haylee Louise

Smokey Joe's Cafe

Day 13 - Smokey Joe's Cafe

Crew Show

Day 14 - Jimmy Tamley (ventriloquist)

Broadway in the Atrium (various members of entertainment staff sing broadway tunes)

This is another question about the Jade - British Isles tour of 13 days -beginning May 31 anyone out there rented their own cars - was there rental agencies near the ports or shuttle service to airports. Would appreciate any help you can give. Katie1

With 4 people in our group we are considering renting a car at several ports. Has anyone had any good/bad experiencing renting cars in Falmouth, Cork, Dublin, Belfast, Greenock, Invergordon, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Brugge. Yahoo.com or holidayautos.com has good prices but we are not sure of port address and location of closest pick up point. We were on the Pride of Hawaii last year and had great experiences renting cars each day. Some places may have locals with transportation - I read on one posting that Cork had a bus to town. Any info would be helpful. Thanks. Katie1

• 2 weeks later...

Has the changeover from Coke to Pepsi happened yet? As of last week it was still Coke

Did you see any mention of the Photo Frenzy package? No, the only "offers" that they had was buy three 8 x 10 photos and get a NCL folio plus a photo of the ship

What were the shows / entertainment / Cruise Director like? The Cruise Director Karen was great. The entertainment was definitely aimed at the 55 + crowd (Bingo, Trivia, Bridge and Dance Classes) and did not really appeal. I was disappointed about the lack of tasting classes (only Martini tasting on both sea days and a wine tasting on one) or other educational offerings.

We did not make it to any of the shows, but there was a good variety covering Magicians, comedy, a musical, Irish Folklore, a puppet show and an American Idol/ X Factor type competition.

I would recommend the spa pass. We basically lived in the spa. I love the heated tile loungers and the view is stunning. We got an Ultimate Couples Pass for our 5 night cruise for $151.50 which included unlimited use of the Thermal Suite (Sauna, Steamroom, Tropical Rain Showers, Hot Tub, Thalesso Therapy Pool (essentially a big square hot tub that you lie down in), heated tile loungers) plus the Rhassul for an hour.

Corinna

Was on the Jade for 2 days last weekend. Got off on 31st May and it was definately Pepsi.

Saw a few minutes of entertainment. The end of the puppet show - looked like it may have been good. I was entertained for the 5 minutes I saw. Didn't see enough of the CD to form much impression. Comedian was so awful, no one was laughing at his corny, not very good jokes that we left after about 5 minutes.

Was on the Jade for 2 days last weekend. Got off on 31st May and it was definately Pepsi.

Saw a few minutes of entertainment. The end of the puppet show - looked like it may have been good. I was entertained for the 5 minutes I saw. Didn't see enough of the CD to form much impression. Comedian was so awful, no one was laughing at his corny, not very good jokes that we left after about 5 minutes.

Which comedian did you have?

I was on the 5 night Irish Escape and the 2 night cruise to Guernsey and I saw cans of Coke served on both, but never saw any evidence of Pepsi. So it looks like that they might have been serving Pepsi at some venues and Coke at others.

Corinna

I was on the 5 night Irish Escape and the 2 night cruise to Guernsey and I saw cans of Coke served on both, but never saw any evidence of Pepsi. So it looks like that they might have been serving Pepsi at some venues and Coke at others.

Corinna

Some cabins had their can stock changed during the cruise and I saw the new pipes going into spinnakers one afternoon. probably need to run the stock down.

Thank you all for your comments and observations.

What was your overall view of the Jade? We have been on the Pearl (in it's first year when it was new) and also on the Gem (again, when it was very new). Have we been spolied by sailing on these brand new ships? I know that the Jade is a little older - does it show? Also, does the Hawaii theme really seem out of place when sailing in Europe? I know the decoration etc of the ship does not 'make' the cruise but it all must add to the overall experience. Your comments would be much appreciated.

I thought that the Jade was in perfect shape, but then my only other cruise experiences were on the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder and they are 11 and 10 years old respectively. In that context, the Jade is only a baby.

On the topic of the theming, I actually loved the tropical feel for the most part. The only two places were I thought the Hawaiian decor was out of place was the Grand Pacific dining room and the French Bistro. The reason for that is that they are quite formal spaces and this clashed with the Hawaiian art work. Something more understated would have worked better.

Corinna

Comedian was Paul ? Didn't get his other name.

The decor didn't bother me one bit. The ship is in excellent condition, didn't see any signs of wear and tear. Will be travelling on the Pearl in 3 weeks so will make a comparison after that cruise.

Some cabins had their can stock changed during the cruise and I saw the new pipes going into spinnakers one afternoon. probably need to run the stock down.

The soda programe was a Pepsi based programme complete with Pepsi stickers on the room cards.

If you are used to the Pearl/Gem the Jade is very similar although closer to the Jewel in feel due to the lack of climbing wall, bowling lanes and Bliss nightclub. Apart from that almost identical with same restaurants, bars, theatre etc. Hawaii theming a little incongrous in a European cruise ship but not in any way a problem. I expect this will be changed at next dry dock, especially as Jade appears to be running Med itineraries next year and no short breaks.

Comedian was Paul ? Didn't get his other name.

The decor didn't bother me one bit. The ship is in excellent condition, didn't see any signs of wear and tear. Will be travelling on the Pearl in 3 weeks so will make a comparison after that cruise.

We had John Martin on the 5night and was very good as cruise ship comediens go, mix of new and old jokes with some political stuff that crossed the pond OK, Obama and UK expences stuff.

Archived