Ferry from St. Thomas to St. John

Does anyone know if the ferry fron St. Thomas to St. John is wheelchair accessible? If so, is there anything to see or do that is within walking (wheeling) distance of the dock? Is the ferry on St. Thomas far from where the cruise ship dock is?

If I recall correctly, the ferry from Red Hook is accessible but you can call the operators and verify Ferry service operated by:

Transportation Services 340 776-6282 and Varlack Ventures 340 776-6412

Most ships in St. Thomas dock either at Havensight or Crown Bay (Princess and HAL are typically here). If there are more than 6 ships in port, sometimes ships will tender into downtown Charlotte Amalie. Both Crown Bay and Havensight are at least a 30-45 minute walk into downtown so would require taxis to even get there.

There are two departure points on St. Thomas for ferries to St. John. One departs from downtown Charlotte Amalie (http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/ferryschedules/cacb.html). The other departs from Red Hook http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/ferryschedules/rhcb.html Both require taxi rides from the piers, although Red Hook is farther away. I prefer the one from Red Hook because it operates more frequently and is a shorter ferry ride.

personally, I wouldn't recommend it. the red hook ferry does have a very long ramp, and although it allows boarding, some folks will need assistance with it. The bigger problem is that there are no tie downs or securements of any kind on board and the ride is VERY bumpy. There isn't even a really good place to brace yourself. and when you get there, there are a few shops and restaurants, but most of them have a step or two to get in. i love St. John, but the area near the ferry isn't that impressive, and IMHO not really worth the trip.

Candy

Archived