MSC or Costa Cruise Lines?

misspupule

Has anyone cruised these lines and what were your impressions of the ship? I know they are italian ships and curious about what cruisers thought. Want to do a cruise from venice to the greek isles:o next year 2010 and looking at all possibilities. RCCL and NCL are the other lines to choose from. thanks

Never been on either so I am no expert. My understanding, however, is that both these lines primarily market their passengers from within Europe. You could go to their Forums under Cruise Lines and get lots of info or post a thread there.

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed with Costa Victoria in the Mediterranean a few years ago and it was wonderful. No complaints, if you go with the flow and understand it’s an Italian line with mostly European passengers. Europeans, especially Germans and Italians, do tend to behave more boisterously than North Americans, but you shouldn’t let it bother you. Vive la difference! as they say. The food is mainly Italian-themed, of course, but not bad. Since English speakers are in the distinct minority on the Med. cruises, it is understandable that English is used way down in the announcements and during theatre performances, but hey Italians and Germans have the same trouble in the Caribbean. I also sailed Costa Magica in the Caribbean and again had no complaints. This Sunday, I’m sailing MSC Musica (also an Italian line) on its Venice itinerary. I’ll be able to give you a comparison when I get back.

I have never sailed with Costa, but I have sailed with MSC, and while it does have its disadvantages, for what we paid it was very good value indeed. The food was quite good, well presented and while not " fancy " was acceptable. The cabins were as most cabins are, small rooms with a bed and cupboards in, but stewards and all crew were very good, and the entertainment team one of the best of any ship we have sailed on. My husband and I are not " joiners" but they made us do many things we would not normally do, and I must admit we had great fun . The biggest disadvantage is all the announcements in multiple languages, and the trivia consequently then takes ages. :rolleyes::D

If your main reason for sailing the med. is to see places on the route, MSC is a good , less expensive way to do so.

Archived