Isle of Pines Questions

Hi,

We are leaving in 8 days on the pacific sun and just have a few questions about Isle of Pines.

Do we need any local money - if so what currency and how much

Are there any local tours that you would recommend

Thanks

Tracy

Do we need any local money - if so what currency and how much

Are there any local tours that you would recommend

You can use AUD on the island they make these straw hat things you can buy (allowed on the boat but not customs AFAIK)

There aren't really any shore tours... if you can find one of the mini-bus type things the locals run on the island they go to the other side and there is a church and a small village type thing. If you go/have gone to Ouvea before it is similar to what they have there.

The snorkelling is really good at IoP.

The currency on Isle of Pines is Pacific Francs (xpf). We have been there probably ten times and have never exchange currency or needed it. We have taken the local tour. I think it was AUD$15. That was a year ago. The tour is OK. The beach is lovely and the snorkelling quite good. There are a lot of fish but not much colourful coral. :):)

Evon.

Isle Of Pines is an amaxing beach. Isle Of Pines would have to be one of my favourite beaches (Champagne Bay and Ouvea are the others).

When you get off the tender at Isle of Pines there is a very nice beach just there...but follow the P&O crowds of passengers for a real treat.

About a 5 minute walk, you arrive at two magnificient beaches, seperated by a Sacred Rock. As this rock is sacred to the locals, they advise you not to touch it.

If you are interested in snorkelling, the best snorkelling is around this rock. Water isn't too deep so even if you can't swim, you can still see some nice snorkelling in water that is only a meter in depth.

Beware as there are some "drops" so keep an eye out if you are not a confident swimmer. Here we saw amazing fish, an octopus and beautiful coral.

I would recommend purchasing some Reef Shoes to wear while snorkelling so that if and when you do need to stand, you do not cut yourself on any sharp edges underwater. You can purchase these from Camping Stores or even Kmart / Big W etc.

Beware of coral though as I have heard that coral is very sharp and if it cuts you, you will need medical attention (Cc'ers please feel free to clarify on this).

I am not sure if P&O offer any tours on Isle Of Pines, but I have seen the locals offering tours and buggie hire etc.

I have attached some photos of Isle Of Pines for you.

Happy Cruising!! :)

1.jpg.2d6af352427ad62bdb3ae30f5dcc66cb.jpg

2.jpg.b28219c8bdf5afdaecd799af97bab737.jpg

3.jpg.1429db28fbb5e8a6097e1ee72ea32c97.jpg

4.jpg.d1f61b7de0c49770638b964fea3dfde6.jpg

5.jpg.4730c42cfe3daa75b6bfe38a7df237ba.jpg

P & O doesn't offer tours at Isle of Pines.

If you get a coral cut you must flush the wound thoroughly and then apply peroxide (if possible). It will likely also need antibiotic cream. If you get a coral cut it is wise to see the medical centre in the ship.

There are a lot of fish at Isle of Pines, but the coral is much better at Lifou, and even better again at Savusavu. :):)

Evon.

last week at the isle of pines there were electric bikes, tandems and push bikes for hire just near the jetty. electric bikes were $25 an hour. be careful though, they kind of run out of juice 1/2 way through so you have to pedal and use the limited electrics!

we had to wait 20 mins for a bike as there were only 4.

snorkelling for fish was great but coral wasn't that great.

The hotel bar at the end of the private beach takes $AU, and somtimes not?

I bought drinks there with AU$ but my brother in law could not pay in AU$? He had to use his visa card with a minimum of $40 spend (In franks) which only just bought 2 drinks anyway:eek:

Great island,avoid the crowds and go to the beach as you turn left at the pier, buy a coconut,watch a dance,taste some free food,relax on the beach ,then go to the main snokeling beach when some of the hoards have gone for a walk.:)

Den

The hotel bar at the end of the private beach takes $AU, and somtimes not?

I bought drinks there with AU$ but my brother in law could not pay in AU$? He had to use his visa card with a minimum of $40 spend (In franks) which only just bought 2 drinks anyway:eek:

Great island,avoid the crowds and go to the beach as you turn left at the pier, buy a coconut,watch a dance,taste some free food,relax on the beach ,then go to the main snokeling beach when some of the hoards have gone for a walk.:)

Den

great advice also look for the $10 lobsters if they are there, they are very nice and fresh they cook them there and then for you.

great advice also look for the $10 lobsters if they are there, they are very nice and fresh they cook them there and then for you.

Just becareful with the lobster. I would really only eat them if you see them live and moving, and watch it cooked in front of you to make sure it is fresh.

Some of the other islands (such as Mystery Island) also have lobsters available but these are already cooked. As they do not have adequate if any refridgeration, you can not be sure when this was cooked or if it ok for our stomachs.

Just becareful with the lobster. I would really only eat them if you see them live and moving, and watch it cooked in front of you to make sure it is fresh.

Some of the other islands (such as Mystery Island) also have lobsters available but these are already cooked. As they do not have adequate if any refridgeration, you can not be sure when this was cooked or if it ok for our stomachs.

when we were there they were live and you picked the one you wanted then they cooked it for you thats about the only thing ill eat off any of the islands. but great advice though

When we have been to Mystery Island they have the lobsters fresh and you can choose which one you want cooked. We always go over early so maybe that's what they do early and then cook more when the crowds get a bit much.

Hi,

I have been to Isle of Pines, it is a very beautiful tropical paradise.

I would like to recommend to you, to go to Le Meridien Isle of Pines Hotel, as it is located on the spectacular Oro Bay, you are allowed to visit Le Meridien as a visitor and enjoy all there facilities, the Hotel is right on a beautiful bay, the view is amazing. There are well signed directions to the Pristine Natural Swimming Pool, you just walk through the rainforest across the shallow water and then you come to a wonderful natural coral swimming pool. You do need coral walking shoes! It is right in front of Gite-Restaurant Chez Regis, which is right in the camping area. Just ask directions there and they will point you in the right direction.

To get to Oro Bay, Hotel Kou Bugny, have hire cars, but they don't have too many, so if you miss out, go back to the wharf and ask any locals, how much to take you to Oro Bay, in a taxi or mini bus or whatever they have and book them to bring you back!

Hotel Kou Bugny, have maps of the island, it is very easy to find your way around!

Hotel Kou Bugny, is the Hotel that you can see as you walk along the beach, from the wharf!

I hope this helps you, have a great time.

Archived