Carlton Beach/Elbow Beach

patter44

For the Bermuda people -

On our upcoming cruise in October, some of us would like to revisit the hotels at which we spent our Honeymoons (40+ years ago :D).

1) Elbow Beach – Can we stop there and have a drink and/or swim at the beach? Do we need a day pass?

2) Carlton Beach (Sonesta/Wyndham) – I know the hotel has been demolished although it still appears in the Google maps. We will be visiting Gibbs Lighthouse. Can we walk down the road and visit the property and possibly swim at the small beach to the right of the former hotel (I think it’s Boat Bay). Is this possible? – I don’t want to get thrown in the clink for trespassing. :eek:

Thank you all for any information and ideas on this.

For the Bermuda people -

On our upcoming cruise in October, some of us would like to revisit the hotels at which we spent our Honeymoons (40+ years ago :D).

1) Elbow Beach – Can we stop there and have a drink and/or swim at the beach? Do we need a day pass?

2) Carlton Beach (Sonesta/Wyndham) – I know the hotel has been demolished although it still appears in the Google maps. We will be visiting Gibbs Lighthouse. Can we walk down the road and visit the property and possibly swim at the small beach to the right of the former hotel (I think it’s Boat Bay). Is this possible? – I don’t want to get thrown in the clink for trespassing. :eek:

Not an answer to your question, but we were at the Carlton Beach for our honeymoon as well...41 years ago this month. I remember it being a beautiful area.

I do think you can go to Elbow Beach, though. I think there is a public area. Put it in the search of this section of the boards.

For the Bermuda people -

They don't have day passes at Elbow. You can have a drink at the bar. You can swim at the beach. What they won't do is let you use their chairs or umbrellas set up in front of the bar. But you can use the beach. Last time I was there was a company that rented chairs and umbrellas but they would not allow you to put them on the beach in front of the hotel. They had to be set up away from that part of the beach.

Bye the way after I left the beach I walked up thru the hotel grounds entered the hotel from the back to see what is what like, and no one even noticed I was not a guest. I would not recommend that though...

Franma & Charles - thank you for your responses.

I didn't think Elbow had day passes - but a drink at the bar is our objective - even if it's just a stop on our way elsewhere. However, if it's a warm day we will try your beach idea.

Carlton Beach was such a beautiful hotel back then. We spent most of our time at that small beach to the right of the hotel. I really hope we can get closer and not just view the property from the main road.

Anyone else? Any other ideas?

Archived