Dress Code On P&O

Noblemount

Smart Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers may be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim may be worn however we request that the following items are not worn: sportswear, e.g. trainers, football shirts and tracksuits. Bring your brightest clothes for our Tropical evenings. (Applies to all ships.)

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure about other posters on here but i fit into the 18-25 age group and as such consider dark jeans and a golf t-shirt (white) or an open-neck polo shirt to be smart casual. As long as the jeans had no rips, tears or broken bottoms to them, which is what the male members of my group wore to our first night on Ventura with a pair of smart shoes.

You will have this argument with every generation as fashion constantly changes. Unfortunatly it is not to everyones likings, but unfortunatly it's the way things change. By all means it's not sloppy and i thought that everyone looked well dressed.

Can no one remember havin an argument with there parents when a new fashion came out because it wasn't how they had been brought up to dress?

CK x

P&O set out the rules for dress just follow them or is that too simple...don't see tee-shirts in that description

If you stick by the description then tracksuits, trainers and football shirts are a no go. Unfortunately P&O have used the EG word....your implying T-Shirts are in the eg? If you are then theres an equal arguement to suggest that they are not?

I think your confusing t/shirts and polo shirts, I think polo shirts conform to smart/casual having collars and buttons, t/shirts are beachwear and gym wear. I don't think anybody would go to a smart restaurant at home in a t/shirt, and I wouldn't expect them to on board ship. On Carribean Cruises P/O make the point that they don't expect passengers to wear jackets and ties on none formal nights. It's just a matter of using common sense, any clothes that are usually worn on the beach on the sun loungers by the pool I would regard as not smart casual. Also any man over the age of 35 yrs should never wear jeans full stop, even if it's smart casual or black instead of denin. Certain male fashions should be left to the young and jeans are certainly one of them.

I think your confusing t/shirts and polo shirts, I think polo shirts conform to smart/casual having collars and buttons, t/shirts are beachwear and gym wear. I don't think anybody would go to a smart restaurant at home in a t/shirt, and I wouldn't expect them to on board ship. On Carribean Cruises P/O make the point that they don't expect passengers to wear jackets and ties on none formal nights. It's just a matter of using common sense, any clothes that are usually worn on the beach on the sun loungers by the pool I would regard as not smart casual. Also any man over the age of 35 yrs should never wear jeans full stop, even if it's smart casual or black instead of denin. Certain male fashions should be left to the young and jeans are certainly one of them.

I am 44 years old And I sometimes wear smart dark or light jeans. If you are in shape I don't see how your age can matter one jot !!!

I am 44 years old And I sometimes wear smart dark or light jeans. If you are in shape I don't see how your age can matter one jot !!!

The rule only applys to male jean wearers, once Tony Blair started wearing them, then enough was enough.

Certain male fashions should be left to the young and jeans are certainly one of them.

But not only the males. There are plenty of jeans wearers of both sexes who lend credence to the story (perhaps apocryphal) that the legendary Mr. Levi started out as a tent maker.

Gari

Dont agree im afraid.

Yes that may have been the case but fashions have changed as has P&O!!!! Try telling someone (not me i add) that buys deigner t-shirts and designer jeans that they have bought work where.

Just labels dear fellow, just labels. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - then it's a duck!

Q. Why do designer shops have large windows?

A. To see you coming.

The younger generations regard clothes differently. Is there really that much difference between a shirt and a nice t-shirt? Buttons and a collar?

What about a polo shirt? Maybe a shirt should be called a V,with italics shirt?

Very philosophical. Your word "perceptions" below covers this one, but the phrase "younger generations" dates you a little though.

Fashions change and i believe perceptions of what is smart have as well.

Out of interest Sheeper, and this isnt meant to be of offense, just curious, what age bracket do you fall into?

I love to play with words via the wonderful medium of the internet. and if your vision of my age is confused by my terminology and vocabulary, then I joyfully offer my abject apologies.

Your question is one that I personally would not have asked, nor have I witnessed it being asked so candidly on these pages before. I can confirm, however, that I am as old as my tongue and little older than my teeth.

A man of your perception should be able to calculate my age from my photograph...

;)

I am loving this thread now -- its getting very witty .... :)

To the poster that said about men wearing jeans -- as long as they are not those big baggy ill fitting TEX type with a huge turn up lol (like my dad used to wear --(yes Levi/tent heheh) a pair of jeans with a T shirt (polo) and a jacket can be quite smart (in a casual way ;))

As can jeans on a female with an appropriate top/blouse.

Formal seems obvious to all, its the semi/smart casual --that seems to be causing the problems :p

Your question is one that I personally would not have asked, nor have I witnessed it being asked so candidly on these pages before. I can confirm, however, that I am as old as my tongue and little older than my teeth.

A man of your perception should be able to calculate my age from my photograph...

;)

Sheeper im 28...hardly dated? and i quote lol "if your vision of my age is confused by my terminology and vocabulary, then I joyfully offer my abject apologies."

Going on the state of the teeth in your picture i'd go for about ...ah you see now you have me..sheep years, human years?

Don't think anyone would think that a teeshirt is suitable dress....

If the woman is short, a tee shirt would indeed make a suitable dress:D

As regards the jeans question, blue denim on older folk tend to look like work wear, brown or tan on men looks good as does white on ladies. Still denim just not blue denim, just my opinion.

If the woman is short, a tee shirt would indeed make a suitable dress:D

As regards the jeans question, blue denim on older folk tend to look like work wear, brown or tan on men looks good as does white on ladies. Still denim just not blue denim, just my opinion.

Hey, ovccruiser that gag is pretty good, have you pinched Norfolkbrits joke annual ?

Gari, what are you doing over here? Come back to your home. Things have gone dreadful quiet without your stirring things up!:D

Hi Seamates, the first friendly voice on here. Was considering a P&O this time as they have an itinerary we are interested in so just checking out the general vibe. Still undecided. Might have to buy a White/Ivory/Cream tux. But that would invite all those hoary old clichés about waiters, towels, saxophones et al. What do you think?

Incidentally, I don't 'stir things up' I simply stimulate considered debate.

Gari

Archived