With whom to book a cruise?

new2crusng

I am wondering also if it is better to book a cruise through a travel agent, with the cruise line, or with a discount cruise website? The discount website I have looked at lists the same cruise for $400 less per person, and also promises $100 onboard credit. This seems like a good deal, but the person I have been dealing with at the cruise line seems so helpful...I wonder if I asked about it if I could get a similar discount or maybe a cabin upgrade or something with them. Any thoughts or experience with this?

With Carnival, Princess and Holland America, travel agents can discount the fares so it pays to shop around - a lot !

With all other cruise lines the fares will be the same no matter who you book with although some travel agencies may have group space will give you a bottle of wine or an on board credit. The main thing is to choose an agent carefully and make sure any money paid to an agent goes directly to the cruiseline and is not held with the agency.

TA's online or otherwise give discounts based on reducing their commision from the cruiseline or in some cases by adding you to a group they have booked, This does not affect you, and you don't know you are in a group but it sometimes allows them to offer you additional discounts or perks.

The cruiseline itself runs sales but they will never discount the going fare. In other words you don't save commission by booking with them.

You DO retain more control over your reservation by booking direct but that is really the only benefit. Shop around and go with the best deal for what you want.

Archived