recycling clothing among cc members

Sounds like "being out of it" is the best place for her to be right now. When you get to talk to her, let her know I'm thinking about her and praying for her.

Yes, and I think in the hospital is the best place for her right now since she needs her pain managed.

Maybe we need to start a thread just for talking about everyone's medical issues.;):)

Sharon,

I'm so jealous that you are "de-cluttering". I need to get busy with that myself. If we are ever going to even think about retiring and downsizing, I've got to get rid of alot of furniture, housewares and clothes.

Do you have any place in particular you donate used clothing to? I know there are a million places, but I know that Salvation Army does amazing things but when you donate to them, the clothing gets put in their stores and I feel that those who need them, still can't afford them.

Debbie (Debinnova)

Sharon,

I'm so jealous that you are "de-cluttering". I need to get busy with that myself. If we are ever going to even think about retiring and downsizing, I've got to get rid of alot of furniture, housewares and clothes.

Do you have any place in particular you donate used clothing to? I know there are a million places, but I know that Salvation Army does amazing things but when you donate to them, the clothing gets put in their stores and I feel that those who need them, still can't afford them.

Debbie (Debinnova)

Some de-cluttering Debbie - mainly so I can have room to pack and the twins have outgrown a lot of things this year. I often give away the clothing on freecycle list - it is free - I have given away clothing, tables, etc. and in return I have gotten a few cool things that I have found on there too - like patio furniture.

You can donate clothing if you do not want to do goodwill or salvation army to a homeless shelter or a church. With the furniture - while Goodwill will sell the stuff in their stores the money raised goes to help their clients so it is a win win in a way.

I usually use freecycle the boys clothes as there are many who cannot afford them. I have a few friends with younger boys and I will offer them some of the good shirts and pants. One good friend I gave a winter jacket and the twins suits they have outgrown.

I am so busy it only gets done in chunks. This weekend one of the twins is down at my moms house at the jersey shore so I am tackling his room. A few weeks ago my oldest was at my moms for a week and his room got done - or at least partially. I do try to go thru my closet at least 2-3 times a year to determine what no longer fits, or what I no longer like or wear.

Sharon

Way to go Lisa. Fortunately for me hang gliding and sky diving are not on my bucket lists. I love roller coasters and all rides with the exceptions of drop zones, etc. I do not like that free fall feeling and I think the one time I bungee jumped in my early 20s made that clear. Then again I do not enjoy flying in planes - funny I work in the aviation industry and not afraid to fly (better not be as I am flying to Amsterdam in less than 2 weeks) just do not enjoy it. You look like you had an amazing time and congrats on loosing 50 pounds. My last bucket item list I did was run a marathon - ran Marine Corps in 2005 and then have note been able to run since and have gained 35 pounds UGH.

Glad you enjoyed it and great video

Sharon

Wow there are several of you all near each other. Since ya'll are so near to DC can any of you give me some information for visiting there in October? We'll only be there for two days and I want to see as much as we possibly can in that short amount of time. Also a nice but inexpensively priced hotel (under $150 if that's possible) in a good location. My biggest problem is not knowing location. We'll be in a rental car. This may not be the proper place for such a discussion so if any one will be of help with this my email is lady4al@shaw.ca

CJ

CJ feel free to email me with any questions lawblond7@aol.com If you are renting a car I would suggest staying in either northern VA (Alexandria or Arlington areas) or in Maryland - Bethesda area as you do not need a car in DC nor want one - expensive to park etc. I would suggest hotel in Old Town Alexandria then you can take the metro into DC. Spend one day on the mall with all the memorials and the museums and then the next day there are other things to see - there are currently no tours of the White house. Also there is no way to see ALL the Smithsonian museums in 2 days so I would suggest you figure out which ones you want to see or which exhibits. I would recommend the holocaust museum, the Natural History, the American History and then the Air Space. You can currently see the Washington Monument but cannot go in it and it is covered with scaffolding as it is being repaired from damage it sustained in the earthquake 2 years ago. When on the mall you can see the reflecting pool, walk past and take pictures of the White house and see the Jefferson memorial and the WWII and Vietnam memorial.

October will not be as crazy as the summer when there are so many tourists. Roger and I took one of the twins to Union Station (train station in DC) on Thursday and we both remarked how crowded it was and saw lines for a lot of places.

You also want to stop at Arlington Cemetery which is in VA.

Email me if there is anything else we can help you with.

Sharon

I know the majority of the clothes being recycled on this board are for us women - but I have 3 boys who I have bought suits, pants, dress shirts, blazers, etc. over the years for and they are still growing. My boys are 16,16 & 20 so I am wondering if there is anyone else on here who has boys who would be interested in some of the clothes they boys have outgrown. If so let me know and I will see what I have, probably after the cruise.

I am hoping that maybe this weekend I will have time to go thru my closets and see what I no longer wear, etc. and try to post some pictures.

Sharon

Good day,

I would be interested if the sizes are right!!

Thank you

I know the majority of the clothes being recycled on this board are for us women - but I have 3 boys who I have bought suits, pants, dress shirts, blazers, etc. over the years for and they are still growing. My boys are 16,16 & 20 so I am wondering if there is anyone else on here who has boys who would be interested in some of the clothes they boys have outgrown. If so let me know and I will see what I have, probably after the cruise.

I am hoping that maybe this weekend I will have time to go thru my closets and see what I no longer wear, etc. and try to post some pictures.

Sharon

If sizes were right I would have sons that would be interested

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Posting this again, with a larger photo. This dress did not work for my mom :( so if anyone can use it, it's yours. It's a 14P. It looks silver in this photo but it's actually, according to the tag, taupe. It's a pale gold, with silver sparkles in it. There is a line of tiny bugle beads between the fabric and satin edging. Really pretty and Mom is sad it didn't fit her right.

ry%3D400

magandab@aol.com

Sharon, glad to hear from you. I got the bag today and it's perfect! Thank you so very very much!

I think you are right. It takes a strong woman to be confident enough to put her best self out there and strut her stuff! It's our way of pampering ourselves!

Sharon, glad to hear from you. I got the bag today and it's perfect! Thank you so very very much!

I think you are right. It takes a strong woman to be confident enough to put her best self out there and strut her stuff! It's our way of pampering ourselves!

Glad it arrived - that was quick they told Roger that it would be end of week. It was a great small bag and I just never used it and forgot about it - and I had bought a little bigger one from travelsmith.

Since I was BANNED from driving today and working tomorrow all the dresses - including yours will be mailed out on Wednesday - need to get packing supplies tomorrow.

And despite having all the clothes I could need I am looking at a new black formal gown on ebay - just to try to cheer me up.

Sharon

Glad it arrived - that was quick they told Roger that it would be end of week. It was a great small bag and I just never used it and forgot about it - and I had bought a little bigger one from travelsmith.

Since I was BANNED from driving today and working tomorrow all the dresses - including yours will be mailed out on Wednesday - need to get packing supplies tomorrow.

And despite having all the clothes I could need I am looking at a new black formal gown on ebay - just to try to cheer me up.

Sharon

Sharon,

Get some rest! Good luck on finding your gown - you deserve it .:) I actually found one that I could live with (hate dresses) at Ross believe it or not and it was a steal but now that I have it home - I feel it looks a bit too young for me or maybe it is the short sleeves? AND of course I cannot find the receipt since I bought it the morning of my surgery day and was not carrying a purse and had no pockets. DH swears I didn't give it to him and not in bags, so if they won't give me store credit, I may be listing it here in case someone likes it. Sheesh!

I also just ordered a couple of things from QVC - bolero jacket and a metallic dressy blazer and some things from Coldwater Creek as well. I'm probably going to end up with more dressy evening wear than I can even wear on one cruise.

Debbie

Sharon,

Get some rest! Good luck on finding your gown - you deserve it .:) I actually found one that I could live with (hate dresses) at Ross believe it or not and it was a steal but now that I have it home - I feel it looks a bit too young for me or maybe it is the short sleeves? AND of course I cannot find the receipt since I bought it the morning of my surgery day and was not carrying a purse and had no pockets. DH swears I didn't give it to him and not in bags, so if they won't give me store credit, I may be listing it here in case someone likes it. Sheesh!

I also just ordered a couple of things from QVC - bolero jacket and a metallic dressy blazer and some things from Coldwater Creek as well. I'm probably going to end up with more dressy evening wear than I can even wear on one cruise.

Debbie

Debbie,

You need to post pictures so we can see your new acquisitions!

Kathi

Thank you all for your success stories. Sounds like

it is the best thing for me to do. All you you had a great

outcome. I cant wait for the monthly to end.:p ( and the in between's )

What a GREAT support this thread is. I knew I stumbled over

it for a reason. You all are so kind and caring.

I dont have my surgery scheduled yet but I will keep

you all posted. Have a great day ladies.

I send prayers & thoughts out to all the people on this site lately. I was out of touch the last few weeks and just catching up. So SORRY to hear all the news going on.

I just wanted to send a special prayer out as well to all women having a hysterectomy. I know how you feel, as I have gone down that road as well. I had mine at age 34 and let me tell you it was a very hard choice for us. I needed it bad and should have done it many years early, but waited. I today am NOT sorry at all and am pain free!!!!!!!

Good luck to everyone and hope for speedy recoveries :)

It looks like we have all reached the age where we have either experienced serious health problems ourselves, or have worried about our loved ones. Since this is a fashion board and we are getting a little heavy, please take my post in the spirit in which it is intended, to lighten things up.

So, back to fashion, ladies :D

Here are the 4 nightgowns I packed for my four night hospital stay:

I think the black belt does wonders for this one:

th?id=H.4671533911575287&pid=15.1

This is DH's favourite:

hospital-gown.jpg

This lovely polka dot is very traditional, for every day use when you go through endless tests and need "easy access". Notice the pretty, tradition ties, as opposed to the Velcro you see on most gowns these days:

djbluewhitedots.jpg

And for formal nights in the hospital- I am really excited about this one:

etsy.jpg

And, no, I did not forget Larry. This one should look very attractive on him:

hospitalculo.jpg

What do I do about laundry if I have to spend more than a week in the hospital? Do platinum patients get free laundry?

Should I say something to nurse who always wears Crocs to work? I mean like, tacky, right? Before they put me under in the operating room the other day, I almost gagged when I saw a nurse in traditional green scrubs wearing bright pink Crocs.

Do you think my bright pink bunny slippers would go with all four of my gowns? Having to pack different slippers for each gown really takes up a lot of room in the suitcase. At least we can drive to the hospital, so weight isn’t a problem.