Tux help please

robiwan

My wife and I will be on the Glory in a few more days and I would like to buy a tux for the formal nights. I don't know anything about them and funds have been taken up on the cost of the cruise.

S&K has them on sale at the moment but I don't know what else I will need. What style is appropriote now? I see some that have lapels that are like a suit jacket and some that are curved with no notch.

What shoes do I need? Do you still wear a cumberbun?

Help please! I have a gene deficiency for these things on my clothes style chromosome.

The secret to buying clothes of any kind and looking good in them is when you try something on, ask yourself how you feel when you look in the mirror.

You'll know what Tux is perfect the minute you try it on, because it will feel great!!

PS...I think cumberbunds are no longer a good thing. ;)

Question: Is A Cumberbund proper any longer

from

http://www.theqandatimes.com/artman/publish/article_257.shtm

LOL!

My VERY Brittish Brother-in-Law would scoff at that. In his recent marraige to my little sister, he proudly wore a VEST under his tux jacket, and her looked quite spiffy. Trsut me robiwan...skip the cumberbund!!!

derf...you are so funny...where do you come up with this stuff???? :D

Robiwan,

If you have a Mens Wearhouse store near you, give them a try. I just bought a very nice designer tux for $199. Down from $399. It is what they call the "Classic" tux. Satin lapels with the satin stripe down the leg in a classic cut that never goes out of style. They also have all the accessories you'll need plus the expertise to tailor it if necessary. As far as cumberbuns go, they are pretty much out now. I bought a vest package that included a bow tie and a Euro tie so you can mix and match looks. Plus shirts that are fine even without the vest. As far as shoes go, any kind of formal type (tie) black dress shoe is appropriate. I went with the ones they sell for tuxs. They're not cheap but the look lasts forever. Also, according to my wife, women love a man in a tux. The formal pictures will also look great.

Robiwan,

If you have a Mens Wearhouse store near you, give them a try.

That's exactly what I was going to say. If not you could try to rent one from CCL if it's not too late, or you could go to a rental place near you and see if that would work.

Thanks everyone for your input. Last time I wore a tux was a few decades ago at the high school prom and I figured that the styles must have changed since then. I'll be checking tomorrow for a tux and hope I can find the shirt, tie, shoes, etc. at a reasonable cost. You have all been great in your response. Thanks again.

I bought mine from a tux rental place and it came with a black vest and tie. My son bought me a silver vest and tie as a Christmas present that year. I take both with me and wear the silver one for the more formal of the two formal nights and the black for the other. The girl that waited on me threw in the studs for free. The tux is a classic black with the silk lapels and stripes on the trousers that will be in style forever.

Its true on carnival less that 25% of the gentleman had on a tux. But the slackers(just kidding) make us guys look even better in our tux. IMO Studs, cumberbunt, black tie the first formal night. The second formal night your vest. Mine is silver. Any more formal nights its a tux with abutton shirt, skarf and no tie. Too cool. Try it guys. I did.

where i live, the question is not cumberbund/no cumberbund but tie or no tie. it's still chic to wear the tie-less shirt with the button top. my dh has both pleated shirts for ties and for without and he looks good in either style. now, i can only suggest what you should wear on the outside; what you wear underneath, assuming you wear anything at all, is totally up to you! ;)

go online and look around, I shopped around trying things on and then bought online at a tremendous savings...I don't remember the site, but could find it for you I'm sure...regardless of where you buy a tux, the pants will need taylored, and jacket size is pretty standard...I got the tux, nice white tux shirt, and vest for less than many places were selling just the tux...

if you need addtional white tux shirts, TJ Maxx has some name brands on the cheap....

and as for the 25% of people wearing them, thats 1 in 4, if more people didn't say 'well we only saw one in four people wearing them so I stopped' maybe we'd have a higer number...to each their own, but I'll wear mine

Archived