Can We Expect A Catholic Mass On The Dawn?

theduffys

We had a rabbi onboard for Channukah services 11/28 and a minister offering interdenominational services on a regular basis throughout the cruise. There was no priest onboard the 11/18 or 11/28 sailings, though there can be. No way to know in advance I'm afraid. I heard of some pax going to mass but can't remember what port we were in! There is a chapel onboard and the minister even offered a "renewal of vows" ceremony.

Thanks Barb--that's what I was afraid of. We have gotten somewhat spoiled in that department after a few cruises on HAL (they always have a priest on board). I am afraid it is my 91 year old dad that is going to gripe the most if he has to skip Sunday Mass.:eek:

I am afraid it is my 91 year old dad that is going to gripe the most if he has to skip Sunday Mass.:eek:

Keep in mind that I'm a heathen (Protestant) so I could be wrong about this...

If your Dad is 91 and he's been going to Mass on Sunday for so long that he'll be distraught over missing it once while on a cruise, I'm pretty sure that he's done enough "time" that St. Peter will forgive him for this one.

Keep in mind that I'm a heathen (Protestant) so I could be wrong about this...

If your Dad is 91 and he's been going to Mass on Sunday for so long that he'll be distraught over missing it once while on a cruise, I'm pretty sure that he's done enough "time" that St. Peter will forgive him for this one.

Thats true but cultural training and life long habits are hard things to overcome--especially in the elderly. He wouldn't want to "set a bad example" for his daughter you see (as long as you live you still feel the need to "parent"):rolleyes:

On our 11/18 Dawn sailing they had what they called a "communion service" offered by Rev. Bernard Wilson. Rev. Wilson was very nice, but he was not a Catholic priest and this wasn't communion in the Catholic sense. No disrespect intended, but we found it rather amusing...they handed out a loaf of bread to the first in line and basically said, "take a hunk and pass it back!" You could tell who the Catholics were by the looks on their faces! That being said, we enjoyed the services nonetheless. They were held on the first Sunday morning on board and the last Saturday evening in the Spinnaker Lounge. God's presence was certainly felt in the beautiful view. As said above, passengers frequently luck out to have a priest on board. Always ask at Reception. They will know. We originally had planned to attend mass in St. Thomas but arrived too late for the noon mass (check out http://www.masstimes.org).

We were on HAL last Spring and talked at length with the priest onboard. He said that indeed HAL did try to have a priest on each ship but it was becoming harder and harder to attract them. Just offering a free cruise sometimes didn't get a volunteer. In his case they gave a free cruise and paid for his airfare.

I'm not sure what NCL's policy is on this matter.

If you add up all the cruise ships times the number of sailings a lot of priests would be needed not to mention Protestants.

of course you can celebrate that as well as any religious ceremony(I am not sure if Kwanzaa is religious)I am sure that the front desk would happily make accomodations for it.

Happy K everyone, and x and Ch as well.

:)

So if the Wickens want to get naked on pool deck and howl at the Moon they can?

:)

I hope that your 12/30 cruise on the NCL Dawn is your first cruise. If not, you might be somewhat disappointed in the trip. Compared to the Royal Carribean and Holland/America, NCL does not do to well.

Yes, they had Catholic Mass on the Dawn when we were on the Dawn late last February.

Trouble is they pay all clergy not enough.

My Spring 2005 I have vowed to take at least two Sisters and

trying how to bring Father G.

I missed Mass most of my time in Vietnam and on other duty deployments:

got real good at Methodist hymns, etc.

To late now but next cruise see if you can bring a clergy via donations at Church?

My decision is should I use the upgrade cupon from NCI I got today to put me in a Suite or keep the good Sisters out of the lowest level and upgarde them?

Besides one can do Mass on other days; NCL upgrade will keep the Sisters out of the depths of the ship and perhaps a balcony?

I will despite "greed" pay for my suite. Are you sure that no other Church on St Thomas has Mass at different times?

Vaya Con Dios

Colorado

When we were on the Dawn last year I questioned whether or not Mass would be celebrated on Sat. evening or Sun. am. I was told that sometimes a priest is on board and will offer to celebrate Mass publicly. Otherwise, Mass is not available. There was no Mass the week we were on board.

Archived