Grand Cayman Expedition! HELP

mybis1

to falkor: Wow! That's the best review I've ever seen. I just relived my entire experience at Stingray City. And your photos came out LOTS better than mine, too. Anyway, here's another vote for Moby Dick. One of my party is paralyzed from the waist down, and is wheelchair bound. But, he can swim very well. He really wanted to try swimming with the rays, and Moby Dick gladly let him come along on the tour. We thought sure they would refuse him, maybe for insurance reasons or whatever. He got to do both the snorkeling, and float around on the sandbar with the rays. The Moby Dick guys are the best!

Can I add a little tip? When you are feeding the rays, let go of the squid right away when they come to feed. My brother-in law tried to hold on to it, to keep the ray still for a minute, so he could take a picture. The ray sucked a little harder, and took the skin right off the hand, a spot about the size of a nickel.

You'll love this excursion, it's like nothing else you'll ever do in your life.

Thanks falkcor! I just booked with Moby Dick's today. One main reason is that they met you at the terminal...some of the other independents instructed you to go to their office.

We are booked on the early tour, just have to ensure DH gets up early enough to catch the first tender...:D

I just wanted to say that you posted a fabulous review:) It brings back fond memories of my day in Grand Cayman. We used Nativeways, but the experience was very similar. You are right about the rays- They do seem to truly enjoy human interaction. It's really heartwarming to be out in the ocean, no cages and very willing participants for this wonderful attraction

thanks for the positive feedback :D

seriously, i totally believe they love the human interaction. think about it - the water's too shallow for their natural predator the shark, so they've got that area (in the cayman islands!!!) all to themselves without a care in the world, and thousands of people a day come to pet them, give them food and kiss them. sounds like a sweet gig to me! :cool:

to falkor: Wow! That's the best review I've ever seen. And your photos came out LOTS better than mine, too. Anyway, here's another vote for Moby Dick.

The ray sucked a little harder, and took the skin right off the hand, a spot about the size of a nickel.

thanks! i can't, well really i can, but i'm still surprised - that it sucked he skin right off his hand! those things are more powerful than a dyson, i swear :D

Thanks falkcor! I just booked with Moby Dick's today. One main reason is that they met you at the terminal...some of the other independents instructed you to go to their office.

We are booked on the early tour, just have to ensure DH gets up early enough to catch the first tender...:D

my pleasure. it's a breeze to meet up w/ moby dick - they're right inside the port. they'll have a tent sorta shade structure with a table & some chairs set up right there.

i might be like your dh - i hate waking up early, especially on vacation. after having contacted them to book, mark emailed me to let me know they added an afternoon tour because they had enough pax. he suggested that these tours are often less populated - so i took it for that added benefit as well as the extra hour or two of sleep. and he was right. you might consider the later tour if you're not planning much else in port, just for the smaller group.

either way, you'll have a blast i'm sure. :cool:

LOL - DH is certainly not a morning bird! I checked the port schedule for Georgetown that day and there are only 2 ships in port that day. I'll wait and see. To be honest, I am glad there are only two ships in port - fewer crowds. DH will just have to roll out with the rest of us...

When is your next cruise ? Too bad Carnival is cutting back on their mediterranean cruises - they were good value for money. I would have highly recommended them.

Archived