Help Us Celebrate our 40th Anniversary on Maasdam......

sail7seas

We go to Maasdam soon for our much loved Boston to Montreal to Boston cruises. While aboard, I'd love to make some plans to surprise DH when we return to Maasdam in August to celebrate our milestone Anniversary.

We celebrated our 38th and 39th on Maasdam last year and year before and did so in grand style. We're not Spa people and I don't think we want the 'show' of Vow Renewal so I'm trying to think of something out of the ordinary for us to do on Maasdam to make that cruise even more special.....of that is possible.

I guess that is my dilema. Our cruises on Maasdam are about as perfect as it gets so how do I find something unique for that special celebration?

All help appreciated. :)

Maybe since the Maasdam is so special and couldn't really get any better, you could arrange a beautiful lunch to celebrate at a fancy restaurant in one of your ports of call? Have a special limo or town car pick you up at the pier and drive you to the place and back.

Oh Sail that is going to be a very hard one if you do not want to do a Renewal of Vows. Although I have to admit I really think that it would be very special. You could always request a private one and being done by a Captain you know and other Officers there you know well. Are there any friends sailing with you?

Don't the ships still do private parties before leaving port and those you might invite have to of course pre registar and leave their D.L. or passport to be on the ship for a few hours. But you could have a Anniversary Party before sailing. You could set that up as a surprise.

But I would rethink doing the ROV, Tom was one that I think he thought it was rather silly but now he thinks it was one of the best things we ever did :) I think if you did it privately it would be very nice or unless you did it with the party I suggested with invited friends.

Oh I love surprises!

You could get special coasters made up with "Happy 40th Anniversary" and even add your names. Leave them with a trusted bartender and arrange to have them used for you when you return in August.

You could arrange to have copies of special "through the years" photos set up in your stateroom when you arrive in August. Just leave them with the Concierge in June.

You could have a special cake delivered to your stateroom, and/or a special champagne.

What a lovely thing to want to surprise DH!

Warmest wishes to you both on such a significant anniversary! May you share many more years filled with health and happiness together!

Now, perhaps I am mistaken, but I am under the impression that you always enjoy the S or SA cabins near the Neptune Lounge? Maybe a PH for your anniversary cruise would make it special?

Of course, if you usually take the PH... then the only other thing I can suggest is that you invite a couple "poor kindly souls" (ahem!) whom you have never met (but they enjoy your helpful posts!) along as guests! :D

Marsha

Thank you so much. Some excellent and creative ideas here.

I love the idea to post 'through the years' photos in our cabin and really love about arranging a car and driver to take us to a special lunch in port. Anniversary coasters sound so much fun.

Lisa.... Funny how, as you know, we almost always sail alone but our anniversary cruise we are traveling with another couple. Good friends of ours have sailed Maasdam before (on our recommendation :) ) and a year ago asked to sail with us for our anniversary cruise.

There is no place we'd rather celebrate than with our HAL friends on Maasdam (or Noordam) and to have these friends from home will make it more special. Maybe we'll have a small cocktail party which is something we don't usually do. Good idea.

I think it would be complicated to try to arranage for a prior to sailing party but there is the chance it could be done. So many special permissions would have to be granted. I think it's asking a lot of our friends/family to come into Boston to do that and then have to leave the ship after an hour or so.

I'm still not up for ROV. Just isn't our style somehow. We know our committment and forty years don't happen without loads of support for each other and standing together through the good and bad. We've been blessed to have both. Only know how good the good is if there's been a bit of bad/sad. IMO DH is a wonderful husand and has taken very good care of me through heart surgeries etc and I'd like to find some small surprise for him.

I know this is weird but we've stayed in the Penthouse and while, of course, I agree it's a fabulous cabin there are things we actually like better about our "S". We've had the chance to again be in Penthouse and chose to keep our Suite. Okay, I admit I'm strange. :rolleyes: :D

I so appreciate everyhone's ideas and am thinking some of them may find their way into our celebration. :D Thanks for the help.

Warmest wishes to you both on such a significant anniversary! May you share many more years filled with health and happiness together!

Now, perhaps I am mistaken, but I am under the impression that you always enjoy the S or SA cabins near the Neptune Lounge? Maybe a PH for your anniversary cruise would make it special?

Of course, if you usually take the PH... then the only other thing I can suggest is that you invite a couple "poor kindly souls" (ahem!) whom you have never met (but they enjoy your helpful posts!) along as guests! :D

Marsha

:) Marsha.... I was writing as you were posting. I just might have to change my mind about the PH. I'm not even sure if it is booked or not.

If we were to be in PH, I'd surely have to run at least ONE party. :D

Sail, first, congratulations. 40 years is a great big deal these days, and you describe marriage beautifully. We don't get there without some growing pains.

I do want to add that we did the renewal of vows, against Sam's better judgment, but it was done beautifully. I too am searching for a way to give something special to Sam who has suported me through my surgery and doesn't really feel retired yet.(And we have weels more of this to go).

I agree it's hard to plan a pre cruise party, although I did consider it. I like the idea of a driver to take you to a surprise lunch or dinner in port and I love the idea of photos. Is there some special toy that Dh wants? You coud give it to him on board.Since you've been in all these ports before, you must have a favorite or special restaurant or ort in mind.

Are you able to make a photo montage and put it on the acer?You could make it and email it to yourself.

Whatever you do, Happy Anniversary and have a wonderful cruise.

We go to Maasdam soon for our much loved Boston to Montreal to Boston cruises. While aboard, I'd love to make some plans to surprise DH when we return to Maasdam in August to celebrate our milestone Anniversary.

We celebrated our 38th and 39th on Maasdam last year and year before and did so in grand style. We're not Spa people and I don't think we want the 'show' of Vow Renewal so I'm trying to think of something out of the ordinary for us to do on Maasdam to make that cruise even more special.....of that is possible.

I guess that is my dilema. Our cruises on Maasdam are about as perfect as it gets so how do I find something unique for that special celebration?

All help appreciated. :)

We faced that same dilemma last summer on Prinsendam ... I had my kind helper from Neptune make a chart showing a history of our 40 years .. wedding picture .. my army days .. our five children ... and our family now .. a circle .. we hung on door of cabin and were proud of it.

We then went to dinner in Pinnacle and had an expensive bottle of wine and enjoyed each other's company .. that was best for us as we did not feel a need to renew vows as that is ongoing in a happy marriage IMHO.

harry

PS: Congratulations from one dinosaur to another ...

We know our committment and forty years don't happen without loads of support for each other and standing together through the good and bad ... IMO DH is a wonderful husand and has taken very good care of me through heart surgeries etc.
All the more reason for a ROV, IMO. No better way to say, "If I had to do it all over again ... I WOULD!" and to celebrate your timeless devotion. Think about it.

We will mark our 40th in August at Denali Park in Alaska!

How about arranging for a PRIVATE dinner in one of the available small rooms, and hire the string quartet to play for just the 2 of you?

Oh, I think this is a lovely idea! Forget my suggestion about the PH... this one is MUCH better!

I also like the "pictures through the years" idea.

(And, I have a feeling that it would be the Captain who might get misty if given the honor of renewing your vows... as you don't have to actually be "related" to be considered "family.")

'Sail' --- Congratulations on your 40th; we just celebrated our 40th on May 3 ---- I hope you have many more !!:D

Like Jim, I wouldn't give up on the ROV, offhand ---- it's certainly a momentous occasion! ;)

On the other hand, there are many lovely upscale restaurants that would suit the occasion for a truly special meal, in either Quebec or Montreal; :D but I'm not sure of the timeline, re sail-away, in these ports. :confused:

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful, wonderful celebration !!

Bear..... Congratulations. You're just a few months ahead of us. I see another vote for ROV. :)

It's all aboard by 4:30 in all our ports. But a luxurious luncheon is certainly not out of the question and there definitely are some outstanding places in Old Quebec City or Old Montreal (or back to Montreal Ritz for an outlandish celebratory lunch). We stayed there years ago and had a wonderful stay.

Congratulations, Jim. How wonderful you and Donna will celebrate your 40th on a cruise, as well.

Oh goodness....... wonderful ideas here. I'm glad I asked. :)

Thanks.

How wonderful for you both to celebrate forty years of marriage aboard your beloved Maasdam.

One Christmas our daughter (cash strapped undergrad student) gave her father and I each our own decorated sealer jar.In side were tiny pieces of paper upon which she had written her special childhood memories.

Those little pieces of paper gave us so much joy that day(lots of laughter and misty eyes) . I know her Dad treasures his 'memory jar' as much as i do mine.

Perhaps you could do a collection of special memories and place them in a lovely wood or leather bound box ( I am sure you can do better than a sealer jar:D)

Wishing you every happiness.

Colleen

Colleyberry, what a charming idea! I got tears in my eyes just thinking about it, and I may well do it for my son next year (wish I had had that idea this year when he turned 50--Oh well, 51 will do).

Whatever you choose, S7S, I know it will be right for you. Congratulations!

Sail, Best wishes on your anniversary. Anything you decide on will be wonderful, because you will be on your beloved Maasdam!

And, because of all your enthusiastic posts, we have just booked our dream cruise -- the 2010 Voyage of the Vikings! On 'your' special ship.

We are so excited. Just had our 50th anniversary last year, so we're way ahead of you [in anniversaries, that is]!

Cheers!

LoyHAL, who also adores surprises. :)

On behalf of... well... my 1 person staff here at DBA... :p Congratulations on a rare but truly special occasion.

While I'm stumped to think of anything that beats numerous cruises on HAL in Deluxe Suites EACH YEAR :D I'm sure that you and "Mr. Sail" and/or all of your friends onboard Maasdam can find a special way to help you remember the occasion forever.

If you have the time/ability after the fact, please share some photos of the occasion afterward. I would be delighted to help share this grand acheivement with the world via the blog!

Best regards and 40 more years to both of you!

My Brother-in-Law and his wife, and me and my wife celebrated our 40th on the Maasdam in April. We were married in March 69 and they in September. On top of that my wife and her brother are fraternal twins. For us the cruise itself was special enough since we arent perennial cruisers. We werent sure about the 14 days, but from now on we probably will do nothing less. Have a happy anninversary and say hello to CJ on the Lido Pool deck. Bob Haack

Sail, first, congratulations. 40 years is a great big deal these days, and you describe marriage beautifully. We don't get there without some growing pains.

I do want to add that we did the renewal of vows, against Sam's better judgment, but it was done beautifully. I too am searching for a way to give something special to Sam who has suported me through my surgery and doesn't really feel retired yet.

I agree it's hard to plan a pre cruise party, although I did consider it. I like the idea of a driver to take you to a surprise lunch or dinner in port and I love the idea of photos. Is there some special toy that Dh wants? You coud give it to him on board.Since you've been in all these ports before, you must have a favorite or special restaurant in mind.

Are you able to make a photo montage and put it on the acer?You could make it and email it to yourself.

Whatever you do, Happy Anniversary and have a wonderful cruise.

Sail, you've had so many wonderful ideas on here...I don't know how you'll choose! I love the memory jar...being the sentimental soul I am!

Carol...I think you should book either the "Voyage of a Few Good Nuts", or the "Voyage of the Pink Flamingos", or both! 2/3 and 2/13. You missed last years Good Nuts Cruise...perhaps you can do this one...what a wonderful surprise for Sam!

Thanks for all the nice messages and great ideas and CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who mentioned celebrating their special anniversaries. Where better than an HAL ship? :) No place we'd rather celebrate!

If you have tech savvy children or friends you might consider having them make a DVD for you of old photos. mementos, etc. to take with you and surprise your husband, with or without special friends cruising with you, to either play in your suite or elsewhere on board if you can arrange it, with appropriate refreshments, one night.

Archived