Labadee

hazeleyez3

My husband and I will be Labadee in October of this year with 10 of our closest friends. If we want to do parasailing or the zip line, does this have to be arranged with RCCL or can we do it on our own? Looking to save some money, if possible.

I sailed on the Freedom of the Sea last February and was so not impressed with Labadee. Of all of the ports I have visited it is the only one I have no desire to ever see again. I found Labadee to be dumpy and rather nasty looking. Royal Caribbean needs to put some more money into their private island and make a lot more appealing. In addition, the Royal Caribbean employees were not helpful. I planned on para sailing and we were taken over to the gathering site and just left there. Nobody bothered to tell us that it was cancelled that day. They also cancelled the lunch on the island that day but didn't bother to tell the passengers. People were taking the tender to the beach to have lunch only to have to turn around once they got there and go back to the ship to eat. There are so many better ports to visit.

I would caution you to verify what WILL be taking place on Labadee BEFORE leaving the ship.

By the way, iI you are interested in doing a zip line/canopy tour (I have done 4 different tours) you can' t beat the one on St. Kitts which is by far the best zip line tour I have ever done.

I have done three zip line tours and the one on Labadee was much different than the others since it went over water. It was just AWESOME!!! When I get to St. Kitts, I will have to try that one.

My husband and I will be Labadee in October of this year with 10 of our closest friends. If we want to do parasailing or the zip line, does this have to be arranged with RCCL or can we do it on our own? Looking to save some money, if possible.

Labadee is RCCL's private peninsula on Haiti - all excursions can only be done through RCCL.

Any idea when the coaster will be done?

They are already selling the coaster as an excursion for the Oasis Dec 1st sailing...so it will be done very shortly.

Dragon's Tail Coaster - ZL35

Take a ride on the wild side! Roar down the side of the mountain on this thrilling alpine coaster ride. Minimum age to be a single rider is 12 years old. Children between the ages of 5 and 11 may ride in the same cart with their parent/guardian. Maximum occupancy per cart is 2 persons with a maximum combined weight of 360 pounds. Total ride time is approximately 3-5 minutes. Purchase a ticket and you can take a person along in your cart for free!

Prices starting from:

*35.00 USD (Adult)

*35.00 USD (Child)

*0.00 USD (Infant)

We were on Labadee last week. I think we all agreed Cayo Laventando (sp?) in Smamana was a better beach day the day before. DD (who will be 14 in Dec) enjoyed the water park with some new firend from the ship. The Zipline is one long Zip over the water. Itis an RCCL excursion that sold out on our cruise. Everyone who did it seemed to really enjoy it. The mountain coaster looks like it is going to be a lot of fun (I can't wait to try that next year). As already note dthe food is a buffet from the ship - BAr are set-up and take your SeaPAss to pay for drinks. Soad cards work for soda (poured from 2 liter bottles). After the buffet closed, we had to buy a bottle of water because I could not locate any other source - the bar tender did not have any for free.

They are clearly doing a lot of constructionin anticipation of Oasis. I had read about the pier, dining area, and new restrooms but they are building cabanas near barefoot beach and the path to Columbus beach. Maybe that will solve some of the shade problems.

Be advised - you need water shoes if you are going into the water on Dragon's Breath Beach - lots of coral and stones. Initially, we had chairs under an almod tree on dragon's breath beach - the caribbean band became a little anoying and if he asked me one mopre time to buy his CD I don;t know what I woulkd have said (he did not take no for an answer).

We enjoyed floating with a mat off of barefoot beach.

It was just posted today....

that after October 5th, my favorite beach - I think it's Barefoot beach - will be available only for suite guests. This is where the cabana's are located. They built an entrance wall to keep everyone else out.

Here is the post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20942484&postcount=5655

So, is it safe to walk about the "town" by yourself with an expensive digital camera taking photos, or is it better to pay the $18 for the walking ship tour and be safer in an organized group?

What kind of VACATION stop is this if you worry about getting shot or robbed? I can stay at home for that! :(

Nah, you're getting the wrong idea here: There is no "town" in Labadee. It's just beach.

The most permanant buildings are the three (three?) lunch huts, which are real buildings (and bathrooms) with large porches for serving and eating.

The open-air market is sort of a quasi-building -- perhaps like a farmer's market in your home town, a real building, but open on the ends and built with simple wooden walls with openings between the slats. The sellers have "stalls" similar to a flea market at home.

You cannot walk to a real Hatian town, nor can the island's residents walk into Labadee. The only people there are the Royal Caribbean employees. They do employee local musicians, etc., but they aren't going to attack you.

I would think twice about taking an expensive camera, but that's only because I wouldn't want to leave it unattended in the sand while I go into the water. I wouldn't worry a bit about anyone attacking me to take it from me. I would not be concerned about my teens being out of my sight for a short time on Labadee. It is not a dangerous place.

The Dragons tails coaster is open, just back on the 6th of Sept and me and DW did it, and had a great time. It is almost as high as the Zip line. The ride it self is about 5-10 minutes with going up the hill and depending how fast you want to go. It was 35.00 per cart with max weight of 360 pounds.

So, is it safe to walk about the "town" by yourself with an expensive digital camera taking photos, or is it better to pay the $18 for the walking ship tour and be safer in an organized group?

What kind of VACATION stop is this if you worry about getting shot or robbed? I can stay at home for that! :(

Keep in mind that even though Labadee is a beautiful destination, it IS located in Haiti, which is one of the poorest and most opressed countries in the entire world.

Royal Caribbean has created a "pseudo-paradise" on the northern coast of this country which in no way represents the way that the rest of the country lives.

The armed guards that can be seen on the perimeter of Labadee are there to keep the locals away and the tourists safe and thus, maintain that fake image.

I've had the opportunity to go to Port Au Prince, the capital of Haiti, many times (for work). It's a completely different world out there. The extreme poverty is obvious before the airplane even lands, with shacks falling appart packed next to each other, dirt streets with hundreds and hundreds of people walking about, and no running water or electricity in many parts of the city. The armed guards with machine guns can also be seen around the airport, which is protected by a fence. The only people allowed into the fenced area are passengers. They don't want the locals interacting with the tourists...

• 2 weeks later...

About 5 yrs ago 8 of us went on a cruise with a stop in Labadee. We loved it. They had the beach barby, the crazy straw market and the wild colors, and the sea grape trees for shade and even a wheelchair with balloon wheels for my gimpy foot. But what I enjoyed the most was the entertainment. They had dancers doing Hatian? folk dances that told stories, together with the drums and costumes. It was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not seen mention of these dancers on any of the posts, are they still doing that?

I am not even a beach person, but it was absolutely beautiful, did the new port builing mess things up?

thanks,

mskatee

TOWN ? Did I miss something ? I WAS expecting a town not just a straw market... Glad I did all my shopping before we got there. However we enjoyed the beach day, the fire dancers and had great weather Jan 2009. It was a very relaxing day and look forward to our next trip there Mar. 2010 8 day eastern caribbean on the IOS...

Keep in mind that even though Labadee is a beautiful destination, it IS located in Haiti, which is one of the poorest and most opressed countries in the entire world.

Royal Caribbean has created a "pseudo-paradise" on the northern coast of this country which in no way represents the way that the rest of the country lives.

The armed guards that can be seen on the perimeter of Labadee are there to keep the locals away and the tourists safe and thus, maintain that fake image.

I've had the opportunity to go to Port Au Prince, the capital of Haiti, many times (for work). It's a completely different world out there. The extreme poverty is obvious before the airplane even lands, with shacks falling appart packed next to each other, dirt streets with hundreds and hundreds of people walking about, and no running water or electricity in many parts of the city. The armed guards with machine guns can also be seen around the airport, which is protected by a fence. The only people allowed into the fenced area are passengers. They don't want the locals interacting with the tourists...

I never realized that Haiti had so much poverty??? How far away is the the capital/town? It does make you wonder how RCCL manages to keep the local people away from the resort, how sad?? Will the Oasis be able to dock or will she also tender?

• 3 weeks later...
The Dragons tails coaster is open, just back on the 6th of Sept and me and DW did it, and had a great time. It is almost as high as the Zip line. The ride it self is about 5-10 minutes with going up the hill and depending how fast you want to go. It was 35.00 per cart with max weight of 360 pounds.

And here is a video of it:

Just wanted to express my extreme displeasure with RC Labadee port of call. First do not let anyone help you get a chair. Get it yourself. They rake you down for a tip. They do not go away till you pay them. The beach is has stones no sandy beach here plus the water is cold. Poor selection of bar drinks limited mixed drinks and no frozen drinks. Plus you are paying the outrageous prices of RC. You have to listen to bar tenders walking around screaming for you to buy their drink special. How peaceful! They walk by every 5 to 10 minutes screaming get their drink special. The food was poor with no options. The dragon breath attraction was closed all day! They had some Haitian guard their all day that did not speak english. I ended up going back to the ship early. Any other port would have been better. You are trapped in a Royal Caribbean overpriced port!! I will not travel on any of their ships since all Western and Eastern routes go there.:mad:

Just wanted to express my extreme displeasure with RC Labadee port of call. First do not let anyone help you get a chair. Get it yourself. They rake you down for a tip. They do not go away till you pay them. The beach is has stones no sandy beach here plus the water is cold. Poor selection of bar drinks limited mixed drinks and no frozen drinks. Plus you are paying the outrageous prices of RC. You have to listen to bar tenders walking around screaming for you to buy their drink special. How peaceful! They walk by every 5 to 10 minutes screaming get their drink special. The food was poor with no options. The dragon breath attraction was closed all day! They had some Haitian guard their all day that did not speak english. I ended up going back to the ship early. Any other port would have been better. You are trapped in a Royal Caribbean overpriced port!! I will not travel on any of their ships since all Western and Eastern routes go there.:mad:

Why not just stay on the ship if you don't like a port?

There are many ports which we visit that we choose not to spend more than a a half day at. There are ports for all kinds of people and people for all kinds of ports. Your criticisms appear to be only superlatives and exagerated. Tough to learn anything with so much negative emotion. :o Since you mentioned the prices or costs of things three times,I think by the time you got to Labadee you were tired of the ship not offereing an all inclusive experience. To get that you will have to travel on a luxury line and pay triple what RC charges. :D

By the way....Why would you expect a guard from Haiti to speak English? Would a policeman in YOUR city be able to speak Haitian? :rolleyes:

If you didn't like the choices (NO options??) at the barbecue lunch, eat on the ship. What's the big deal?:rolleyes:

Try a different itinerary, and you won't stop at Labadee. Or you could always go back to Carnival.

Why not just stay on the ship if you don't like a port?

There are many ports which we visit that we choose not to spend more than a a half day at. There are ports for all kinds of people and people for all kinds of ports. Your criticisms appear to be only superlatives and exagerated. Tough to learn anything with so much negative emotion. :o Since you mentioned the prices or costs of things three times,I think by the time you got to Labadee you were tired of the ship not offereing an all inclusive experience. To get that you will have to travel on a luxury line and pay triple what RC charges. :D

By the way....Why would you expect a guard from Haiti to speak English? Would a policeman in YOUR city be able to speak Haitian? :rolleyes:

If you didn't like the choices (NO options??) at the barbecue lunch, eat on the ship. What's the big deal?:rolleyes:

Try a different itinerary, and you won't stop at Labadee. Or you could always go back to Carnival.

You would think RC would have had a quality port of call instead of Labadee. I told my experience. The day started with being held up for money. You felt compeled to give the person money. We would not go away! Thought the beach was dirty/rocky. The bar staff did go around screaming/halking the drink constantly! This was my first time to Labadee and it did not impress. To be honest I would not go back to RC. Thought they were more expensive plus service/food/shows etc was on line with Carnival no better. This was not my first cruise....expected more from RC

Archived