Reliability of Brittish Trains

We are scheduled to be in Dover on Wednesday June 17th. We dock at 8:00 AM and are scheduled to sail at 11:00 PM (23:00). We're thinking about taking the train to London for the day to meet a friend. He has invited us for dinner and I wonder if we can chance taking the train that leaves Charing Cross Station at 8:00 PM (20:00) and is due in Dover Priory at 9:56 PM (21:56). I know that Dover Priory is fairly close to the ship docks but is that cutting it too close? Are taxis readily available at the Dover train station at that time of night?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I wonder if we can chance taking the train that leaves Charing Cross Station at 8:00 PM (20:00) and is due in Dover Priory at 9:56 PM (21:56). I know that Dover Priory is fairly close to the ship docks but is that cutting it too close?
I wouldn't do this, myself. Although I would have thought that there's a 95% chance that the train will arrive on time, there's a catastrophic risk involved in that remaining 5%. Personally, I would leave an extra hour.

I agree with the above 2 posters.

We live on the London to Dover line and my son travels on it daily. I would say 99% of the time the trains run on time (slightly less than this during the Winter, ice, snow, heavy rain etc). However, there is always a risk of a delay, some-one throwing themselves on the line, a broken down train, engineering work etc. There is a higher risk of maintainance/engineering work at week-ends when rail replacement buses can be employed between some stations, but it can happen during the week too if work becomes necessary.

Chances are you wll be fine, but I personally wouldn't risk such a tight time frame.

Edit: Forgot to mention about the taxis. They should be available at the station at that time of night. They generally wait until the last trains arrive from London. However, to be on the safe side, why not take the 'phone number of a couple of the local taxis (displayed on the taxis themselves) as you leave in the morning, so you can call them if the need arises.

Now, I wonder just how close we can make it to the ship before they won't let us on. Do we need more than a half hour?
The ship will tell you. Most recent cruises I've been on have a minimum of 30 minutes. If you're not there then, the ship may go without you. So if you plan to arrive back at the ship at exactly 30 minutes before sailing, be aware of the risks that you're taking on. What if you get held up somewhere for 15 minutes? You could be making your own way to the next port.

Archived