Cruise from FL, am I OK?

ammcem

I have only cruised from Port Canaveral. We are flying into Orlando from Seattle (much cheaper and direct) and cruising from Fort Lauderdale on the Oasis of the Seas next spring. After scouring these boards and looking for reasonable accomodations, I've come up with this plan:

1) Fly into MCO from Seattle arriving 5pm Thursday 3/25

2) Rent van (there are 7 of us) from National for $136

3) Drive to Pompano Beach (3 hours)

4) Staying at Beachcomber Resort and Villas for $105-115 per night (two rooms, two nights)

5) Return van to FLL on Saturday morning 3/27

6) Taxi to port (2 x $15)

7) Cruise on the Oasis

8) Tax to port (2 x $15)

9) Rent two full-size cars (2 x $44) from National

10) Drive to MCO

11) Return cars

12) Fly back to Seattle at 6pm

Is it reasonable? I searched and searched for moderately priced accomodations (under $100 per night) and didn't find anything that didn't have horrible reviews. I finally found the Beachcomber by luck. While not a swanky resort...it is on the beach which is good enough for us. Reviews are good. Since we have a car, it didn't seem important to be near the airport. I believe we are 11 miles away.

Next up in our planning will be what to do on Friday. I've never been south of Kissimmee. Suggestions? We are DW50, DH45, DS16, DS12. I'd love to see the Everglades....but don't have a clue yet on how that is usually done.

I think you have an excellent plan in place!

One question, do you fly back the same day the cruise returns?

If so, I would immediately get on the turnpike and head back to Orlando.

Your dates are over Easter Break and Florida will be horribly mobbed.

The turnpike and I-95 will be packed and one wreck can back up I-95 and the turnpike for HOURS.

I suggest getting on the road for the four hour trip back to Orlando and doing something there if you have time.

One question, do you fly back the same day the cruise returns?

Yes! Flying back the same day so we are planning on doing exactly what you suggested. Immediately getting taxi to FLL and renting cars and getting on the road. I'm hopeful that we can get to MCO with a few hours to spare. Since our cruise ends on a Saturday, we are hoping the roads won't be as crowded as they will be on Sunday which is Easter.

If all goes well we'll get off the ship at 8am, to FLL by 9am, on the road at 10am, to MCO by 2pm, rental cars returned by 3pm, through security by 4pm, for flight at 6:10pm. Hopefully there is enough fluff in there to allow for "some" traffic delays and a chance to eat....but we'll be so full from cruising...we won't need to eat!

Yes! Flying back the same day so we are planning on doing exactly what you suggested. Immediately getting taxi to FLL and renting cars and getting on the road. I'm hopeful that we can get to MCO with a few hours to spare. Since our cruise ends on a Saturday, we are hoping the roads won't be as crowded as they will be on Sunday which is Easter.

If all goes well we'll get off the ship at 8am, to FLL by 9am, on the road at 10am, to MCO by 2pm, rental cars returned by 3pm, through security by 4pm, for flight at 6:10pm. Hopefully there is enough fluff in there to allow for "some" traffic delays and a chance to eat....but we'll be so full from cruising...we won't need to eat!

DO NOT get in I-95!! Take the turnpike the entire way. Yes, the roads will be conjested on Saturday.

That is a good price for high season. If your car rental center is located at the FLL airport, be aware that there is a free shuttle to and from the port. To check to see if this is available for National, I would suggest that you call the rental car counter directly at the fort laud phone number. Since there are so many of you to fit into the shuttle with luggage, you might want to drop off the group and luggage at the port, drop off the car, and then meet your party by shuttle. Then do the reverse when you disembark. The ride to Orlando is normally aobut 3.5 hours, and I think that Blue Herons's suggestion of driving up right from disembarkation is a great idea. The quickest way to/from the turnpike from the airport or cruiseport is to go west on I595 to the turnpike.

Archived