seattle amtrak to vancouver

flying into seattle and taking amtrak to vancouver for cruise. looks like cost is 35 and leaves at 7:30 and arrives at 11:30. question, how long does it take to debark from train, is their customs to clear. transportation from there to port how much and do you take a taxi or shuttle. how far to port from there. is there a risk in taking the train and missing the boat? only other option is the bus or renting a car.

flying into seattle and taking amtrak to vancouver for cruise. looks like cost is 35 and leaves at 7:30 and arrives at 11:30. question, how long does it take to debark from train, is their customs to clear. transportation from there to port how much and do you take a taxi or shuttle. how far to port from there. is there a risk in taking the train and missing the boat? only other option is the bus or renting a car.

Off the train 15 minutes max, waiting in line for luggage up to 15 minutes more. Waiting in line for customs kind of depends on how many people are on the train and how strict the inspections are that day. Taxis are generally out in front waiting, but sometimes you might have to call one and wait for them to arrive. I've never missed the ship yet, but there is always that risk.

The risk of missing the boat is very, very low. I ride that train a couple of times a year and the very latest I was out of the station and on the street, finished with customs, etc., was about 1:20 (the train was a little over an hour late that time).

The biggest unpredictable cause of delays on the line are mudslides in the winter closing the tracks. The chances of that happening in the summer are pretty much zero.

If your pier is Canada Place, you can catch the Skytrain across the park from the station. It runs every couple of minutes, and all westbound trains go to Waterfront. It is about a 7 or 8 minute ride to Waterfront Station which is pretty much next door to Canada Place. If your pier is Ballantyne, you have to take a taxi. It is a little less than 2 miles away from the station.

I have always seen taxis in front of the station when I arrive. But if you have to call one, there would be one shortly.

Don't worry about it. Literally thousands of people do this every season.

If you are departing from Canada Place and can handle your own luggage then SkyTrain is a good option, the cost is $2.75 (CDN funds only) pp but can use credit cards and most debit cards. A taxi will run you about $15. A taxi to Ballantyne pier will cost about $10 and that is you only option to that pier.

What is not clear to me is if you are deaprting from Vancouver or Seattle but there are about 4 hrs or so between the arrival and departure of the trains to take in some of Vancouver sights. The train station is in rather a seedy area that is improving but no there are no attractions close at hand unless you want to walk north on Main St. to Chinatown. Otherwise I would take SkyTrain to the Waterfront Station from which you can walk over to Canada Place, Gastown, the lookout at Harbour Centre and the Robson St. area. Then if returning to Seattle you can go back to the train station by SkyTrain.

"there are no attractions close at hand"

Gonna poop on you this morning - Science World etc is even closer than Chinatown from the Amtrak station - the new Olympic Village and accompanying seawall and street art deco would be a great place to kill some time.

Great weather for golf and biking.

Cheers

Dennis

Putter - ship departs Seattle. What you suggests sounds good. How long is the Sky shuttle from the train station to the city centre?

My eyes are bigger than my time-line pre/post cruise, and there are SO many things I'd like to do. I'm leaving no stone unturned. I just want DH to have a good time. I'll go check out this train/sky shuttle deal and see if it's a viable option. Again, thx. Any other info you have is appreciated.

First off Ut is correct the Science Centre is only about a block and a half from the Amtrak Station but I always think of it more as a childrens' attraction. The Skytrain station is just across the street from the Amtrak station but there is a mini-park between the two so it is about 1/2 a block.

Ut, no golf today, the ladies have the course today for an annual event where they host ladies from clubs all over the lower-mainland...and darn it never rains on them.:rolleyes: Good day to shovel out the garage and tidy up the yards for the weekend.

Would a train ride to Vancouver be a good way to spend a pre/post cruise day? If so, once off the train, what to do? walk around? fairs? shops?

I do up-and-back same day trips a lot, but those are mini-vacations for me, and I do it partly to get a train fix. I am not sure I'd recommend it as part of a larger vacation. There is much to see and do in and around Seattle. You have about 4 useful hours in Vancouver. The train ride is about 4 hours each way. It would make for a long day.

If you do elect to do it, I agree with the suggestion to take the Skytrain to downtown Vancouver. As I noted before, it is only about a 7 minute ride, and the trains run every few minutes. There is good shopping and restaurants on Burrard. From in front of Waterfront Station (last Skytrain stop) you can take the 50-False Creek bus right to Granville Island, which is kind of farmers market, craft shop area. It is a fun place. Get a all day transit pass for $9 CAD. It is one of the options on the ticket machines in the Skytrain station. It is good on the Skytrain and all Translink buses.

PD (or others)

why is taxi fare to ballantyne less than fare to Canada Place? Isn't CP closer? I have a friend going by Amtrak and advised her to take a cab rather than fight luggage on SkyTrain--did I give her bad advice?

no whiners

Ballantyne is closer. It is almost due north of the station, less than 2 miles away. Canada Place is north and further west.

I don't see why luggage would be a problem on Skytrain as long as the amounts are normal and they are reasonably fit. The only thing I would warn your friends is that the nearest entrance to the Skytrain Main Street/Science Center station from the Amtrak/VIA station only has stairs. If they have luggage, I would recommend bypassing that entrance and cross Main Street at the light to use the escalators that are available on entrances on that side, rather than lugging the stuff up the stairs. I am pretty sure there is an elevator, too, but not familiar with that.

With that said, it may be worth it to spend the extra $12 (approximately $15 - $3 skytrain fare) or so not to have to wrestle with it. Depending on my mood and how much sleep I got I could go either way.

Ballantyne is closer. It is almost due north of the station, less than 2 miles away. Canada Place is north and further west.

I don't see why luggage would be a problem on Skytrain as long as the amounts are normal and they are reasonably fit. The only thing I would warn your friends is that the nearest entrance to the Skytrain Main Street/Science Center station from the Amtrak/VIA station only has stairs. If they have luggage, I would recommend bypassing that entrance and cross Main Street at the light to use the escalators that are available on entrances on that side, rather than lugging the stuff up the stairs.

With that said, it may be worth it to spend the extra $12 (approximately $15 - $3 skytrain fare) or so not to have to wrestle with it. Depending on my mood and how much sleep I got I could go either way.

Luggage is not a problem with SkyTrain so long as the pax can handle it themselves as there is no one to help with it.

If you want to save a few taxi $$$ and can handle your luggage have the taxi driver drop you off at the top of the ramp at Canada Place - the first time I took a taxi to Canada Place over half the fare was just waiting in line to get down the ramp to the drop off area or else go into the Pan Pacific and take the elevator down to the cruise level.

Cheers

Dennis

If you want to save a few taxi $$$ and can handle your luggage have the taxi driver drop you off at the top of the ramp at Canada Place - the first time I took a taxi to Canada Place over half the fare was just waiting in line to get down the ramp to the drop off area or else go into the Pan Pacific and take the elevator down to the cruise level.

Cheers

Dennis

From your condo you didn't walk....shame!!!!:eek:

That was actually when I was at my old apartment in Mt Pleasant - Main and Broadway - only been living downtown for a little over two years and do now walk to Canada Place.

Cheers

Dennis

PD and UT

thanks for the clarification on distances between amtrak station and the 2 piers. My friend is very fit but she will have her 80 year old mom with her. Even though they claim they will pack light, I think it could be hard for my friend to deal with her backpack, her luggage, her mom and and her mom's luggage. I will send her the note about the escalators for SkyTrain. I already suggested that she take cab to PP and use elevators down to cruise terminal.

Thanks for all your help with all things vancouver!

Mary Lynn

PS: Any noticeable chnages in Cascadia from Residence Inn? we are staying there pre-cruise for 1 night. Got 4 rooms on priceline for $84 US, including taxes, fees, etc.

No as it is the same management company that was operating it before - the only thing that was pointed out to me by a staff person was that the dining room menu changes each day whereas before it was the same all the time.

Cheers and it has been a pleasure to help you plan your visit and stay in our beautiful city.

Dennis

dont know much about the the train..but, in the ground transportation

area there desk where you can arrange for a bus trip to vancouver..

i have no further info. on this service other than just noticing it was

available..maybe someone else has used this service and give some

advise..and Google might be able to help out too..

the Sea/Tac sight may have a phone number that can hook you up..

a couple questions: first which service do you like better, quick shuttle or amtrak? which has better scenery on the trip up?

as i see it, quick shuttle may be a bit more expensive, but it will take me straight to my pier - no hassle with luggage, etc. but i think i read somewhere that amtrak has great views on the way up, not sure about the shuttle.

next, if i take amtrak, are there fare saving tricks i should know about where to be dropped off at ballantyne pier? also, is the walk from ballantyne to china town a safe one, or are there streets that should be avoided?

thanks.

Yes, the train is much more scenic because it goes right along the water for much of the trip, whereas the bus goes on I-5, inland.

Of course, you still get great views of the Cascade Mountains from I-5 if it's a clear day, and the stretch just before Bellingham is very pretty--I think we here in the NW sometimes get jaded about the scenery that we take for granted and forget that not everyone gets views like that from the interstate ;-).

a couple questions: first which service do you like better, quick shuttle or amtrak? which has better scenery on the trip up?

as i see it, quick shuttle may be a bit more expensive, but it will take me straight to my pier - no hassle with luggage, etc. but i think i read somewhere that amtrak has great views on the way up, not sure about the shuttle.

next, if i take amtrak, are there fare saving tricks i should know about where to be dropped off at ballantyne pier? also, is the walk from ballantyne to china town a safe one, or are there streets that should be avoided?

thanks.

Putterdude and Urban Trekker will have more details, but the bottom line is it is very difficult to walk into or out of Ballantyne pier, period, due to the road layout and port security.

Also, there are rough areas right around there (East Hastings). Putterdude and Urban Trekker would have more specific details.

It is a short taxi ride between the Amtrak/VIA station and Ballantyne, and it is really the only practical way.

thanks.

i was thinking more of walking to china town after we were checked in. i would guess that you can walk back in with your key card.

it seems that it may be a pain to return the rental car and get to the train station in seattle in the morning. so, we may decide to take the bus just out of expediency.

as far as scenery...we live outside chicago...nothing to see here!!! a 10' hill is basically considered a mountain here!

You'd still have to navigate your way out of Ballantyne Pier (I am pretty sure there is a no pedestrian access overpass involved) and port security. Basically, walking is not an option there, luggage or no. Plus I've never seen that they are really set up to let people out on embarkation on any cruise I've been on -- of course, it wasn't an issue either so I easily could have missed it.

One argument for Amtrak is you CAN walk to Chinatown from the station easily and safely, and you can pay to have your luggage held at the station at the VIA Rail Canada counter. If Chinatown is a big deal, that is how I'd do it. Take Amtrak, walk (or take the bus) Chinatown, do what you want to do, walk back to the station, pick up your luggage, and cab over to Ballantyne.

There is no car rental counter in the Seattle Amtrak station. Car rental there is through using downtown hotel locations, and they'll reimburse for taxis or take you/pick you up themselves. But no downtown car rental locations are open that early. You'd have to have the car returned the day before, or use the airport location (24 hour) and then cab to downtown, making for a very early morning.

All things considered, except for Chinatown, I think QuikCoach may be a better solution for you.

Archived