Does HAL have a book exchange in the library?

Hi

I haven't cruised with HAL before. Was just wondering if they have a book exchange like Royal Caribbean does? This is great if you have a long trip before you arrive at the ship and want to swap the paperback you have already read.

Regards,

On the Zaandam recently there were both hard cover and paperback on the exchange shelf. The shelf was overflowing with books of all types. I think it just depends on what people have brought that they want to exchange or get rid of. There was even a little sign up encouraging people to take one, even if they had no exchange, because there were so many books jammed in there.

Rather many of the books, to be fair, wouldn't have been all that popular with very many readers. But you never know what you might find.

The books that are available to borrow are really a nice selection. I can always find something I haven't read and then I get into it and it's hard to put it down!

I'm thrilled to read there is a library/book swap. I look forward to getting through 1-2 books on vacation and was hoping the cruise would be no different. Now I know to pack a little lighter...wasn't something I had really looked into before.

I want to put in a plug here for DH's favorite hobby, BookCrossing. This involves registering books and releasing them in public spots like the exchange shelf, so you may find some books with a BC label. You can then go to http://www.BookCrossing.com and type in the registration # of the book to see where else it's been, and what its previous readers have thought about it. You can also add your own comments if you wish. It's free, and you can do it anonymously if you like.

For those of us who release the books, it's a lot of fun to follow the travels of our books via email. And when the lust to cruise really starts to bite, at least I can visualize my books enjoying their voyage. Anyway, if you see one of these books, I hope you will pick it up and play along.

I am a member and this is fun to do!

I have left books at bus stations, cruise ships, mall benches etc. hoping that someone will pick up the book, read it and then pass it on.

a fun, cute site!

I want to put in a plug here for DH's favorite hobby, BookCrossing. This involves registering books and releasing them in public spots like the exchange shelf, so you may find some books with a BC label. You can then go to www.BookCrossing.com and type in the registration # of the book to see where else it's been, and what its previous readers have thought about it. You can also add your own comments if you wish. It's free, and you can do it anonymously if you like.

For those of us who release the books, it's a lot of fun to follow the travels of our books via email. And when the lust to cruise really starts to bite, at least I can visualize my books enjoying their voyage. Anyway, if you see one of these books, I hope you will pick it up and play along.

What a wonderful idea. I'm so happy I just have to bring enough reading material for my long flight and will be able to get something to read onboard - and take a friendly book back to Australia to keep me company on my trip home. Thanks for all the info.

Regards

I just returned from Alaska on Ryndam 5/8-5/15/ I checked the books that were available when I dropped off a cosy maystery I read on the way. there really wasn't much and was disappointed. I had been on 8 HAL cruises 1991-2007 and always found things. Later when I saw the woman who was there and mentioned it. she said she would have more when people unpacked. but nothing much had been dropped off when I dropped off another. I was very busy off the ship and didn't want to borrow any books. Latter I thought that maybe the Kindle had something to do with It. My daughter read her sony most of the way and she said she downloaded 30 books before she left. I didnt share a cabin but doubt she read that much. I also saw at least 3 people on Air Tran to seattle reading electronically. also several people with laptops on the plane. (we took separate flight to Vancouver on Air Canada much cheaper) The night before we disembarked I mentioned it to the attendant in the library that could be the reason fewer bookd were left for others. fortunately, I brought a couple of paperbacks so I wasn't bereft on the way home. there was too much to see on this cruise and do and at night had to plan the next day. also Dont try to keep up with people half your age. I am still recovering. another thing They will not let you take any travel books out even though not on the area you are cruising. Apparently people were taking out maps and photos. this may be only on the Ryndam. This is new. I remember finding a book about the terrible huge wave that hit in Litoya Bay in the 50's . I read it during a Caribbean cruise 2002 or 2003. I have found some really good specialized NF brousing but probably not read since I would not be able to check out.(forgot to mention Lituya bay is on the west side of Glacier Bay off the Pacific between Icy Straight and Yakutut.

quite often I take several fiction paperbacks that were purchased from a thrift store or used bookstore. when finished, I then leave it for others to pick up.

we have always found a wonderful exchange program happening on most of our voyages, but the occasional sailing had been 'short' of exchanges.

mentioning to the Front Desk that a little notice be included in the Daily Planner might tweak some peoples' interest in the book exchange.

Archived