Anything good about Aegean Pearl? Please!

Another Cruise

Just notified that our group tour will end with a 3 day Greek Island cruise on the Aegean Pearl. I haven't read one positive comment about this ship. I've been on many cruises and hoping that there is something better to tell me other than "It's only 3 days". Can anybody help me out?

• 4 weeks later...

I never got a comment, but I am back now, so I will post my own comments. Had a great time. The ship is old, the walls are very thin, the food was OK. Some things very good, a few very bad, but overall it was a pleasant sruprise. The crew is wonderful. We only had 400 on board for our cruise and it was so easy on and off. No lines anywhere. Easy tenders. nothing like our last cruise with 3000!! The destinations were wonderful and shore excursions were handled nicely and not overly expensive. Bars were great and there is an all-inclusive package offered when you board. Was $70 for 3 days. Wide variety of liquor choices, wine and beer, soft drinks, ice cream, speciality coffees, etc. Photographer only tood 2 pictures entire trip! Loved that. Went to Mykonos, Patmos, Kushadasi, Santorini, and Crete in 3 days. The cruise was the best way to see so much in that length of time. Some in our group nicknamed it the S.S. Wal-Mart, but that was sort of what it was--a good deal at a great price. Would do it again. Oh, there was not a lot of movement even though it was very windy.

• 11 months later...

I took a cruise on the Pearl two years ago. It was fun -- but I'm used to a much posher cruising experience (NCL, Princess, Celebrity, etc). First, the Pearl is SUCH a small ship. There's not a lot to do onboard at night (one bar/nightclub TOTAL -- so everyone hangs out in the same spot). I also had the misfortune of getting hit on by a guy I wanted nothing to do with -- and because there are so few places to go onboard, you can't really avoid other passengers.

It's also showing it's age. Nothing has been maintained as nicely as on other cruise lines.

The food was terrible. Worse than Carnival. Seriously. BUT they allow you to bring liquor on board as long as you buy it in port and drink it only in your stateroom. The bar staff was fun. Drinks onboard were strong -- and the port destinations were amazing. So in the end it was a fun trip. Just don't go in expecting a five-star cruise experience. You won't get it.

Archived