Eze - How difficult is climb?

Would love to visit Eze but am a little concerned about some comments I have read regarding the steep climb and would like to hear from those of you who have been. How long does it take (assuming a leisurely walking pace) to get from the parking area to the village? Are there separate parking area for buses vs. cars - that is, if we hired a private guide would be have less of a climb from the parking area than if we were on a ship's tour bus? We are in our early 60's but are healthy and active. I don't know how Eze compares to Fira (Santorini) but we had no problem walking around Fira for a couple of hours.

We were in Eze last year. If you go on a bus, they park at the bottom. You then walk up a long driveway that services a hotel and a few shops. Then you walk up about 70-80 +/- steps to get to the first part of town. The entire town is really a series of small walks and steps and ramps. I have a bad knee and while it is a good walk, if you take your time it's not bad. 15 minutes +/-. If you take a private car, they can drop you off up by the donkeys (bellhops?) and you will miss first uphill drive. It's really not that bad. However, we also went to Nice that day and we liked Nice better.

We were just there a few weeks ago, its true that it involves a walk up but it is not really all that bad if you talk your time. I was recovering from some respiratory thing and I did not find it too difficult, I just went a little slower than normal. There are places all over Europe that require a lot more walking than Eze, such as Monte Carlo, Tuscan Hill towns, all over the Amalfi coast. Maybe you could walk with a flexible knee support to help?

There is a bus parking lot at the bottom, no way could a bus or small van get into Eze, maybe a smart car or a scooter, but not a van.

Amelia

Thank you for your responses - very helpful. A 15- or 20-minute walk seems do-able. I had seen some postings that mentioned an hour and that was a little frightening. Of course, maybe they meant an hour to get all the way to the top, but if it is only 15 or 20 minutes until you get to the shops and then you just meander in and out of shops as you go upward, that sounds a lot like Fira and I think I can do that. Did either of you visit the perfume outlet- Fragonard, I think?

Thank you for your responses - very helpful. A 15- or 20-minute walk seems do-able. I had seen some postings that mentioned an hour and that was a little frightening. Of course, maybe they meant an hour to get all the way to the top, but if it is only 15 or 20 minutes until you get to the shops and then you just meander in and out of shops as you go upward, that sounds a lot like Fira and I think I can do that. Did either of you visit the perfume outlet- Fragonard, I think?

Yep, I love Fragonard the best! There is another factory outlet as well, it is closer to the parking lot, right across the street. Fragonard is a short walk from the lot.

Amelia

The walk from where the buses drop you off is not bad. I too had read all the posts about how bad it was. Piece of cake. And I am not in that great of shape.

Since there are kind of two "Ezes it gets confusing. There is another "walk" that some talk about and that is the one from the lower Eze "bord de mare" or by the water up the mountain by way of a trail..... that is one I do not want to do. Some say it takes around an hour.

check out this website http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/alpmarit/eze/eze.htm

I agree with the other posters..Once you are at the Medieval Village the climb is not diffucult at all. What you heard about the steep, 1 hour climb is the trek up to the village from the train station in the town of Eze. We tried to do that last year and it was extremely difficult....very steep ,with no flat areas to catch your breath and no shade. While it is very picturesque it is a very hard climb. We made it about one third of the way up and then went back down and took the bus up to the Village. Once there as I said, the walk is not difficult at all.

We've been to both Eze and Santorini and I wouldn't compare them at all. Once you're at the top of the Santorini island, it's fairly flat to walk around. There are kind of "two Ezes" as texancruser mentioned and we all seem to be assuming you mean the upper one. If you take your time, you should be fine. The Fragonard outlet is on the left (I believe) going up the hill - you can always stop in there to take a break. It is definitely worth the trek. Wear good walking shoes, stop and take in the scenery along the way and enjoy! I would also recommend the Fragonard Factory at the bottom of the hill - my daughter and I loved it and my husband was a great sport letting us "be girls".

Robin G

That is what is so great about CC boards!! If not for you posters, I would not have atempted Eze and I'm sure would have missed a great experience. I now understand about the difference from the parking lot vs. the train stop and thus, the time difference. Any particular place there that you would recommend for lunch?

We ate at the White Horse Restaurant. Really good. Can't miss it. Right by the little road going up to the stairs that take you up to the top of the village. Eze is sooo cool. Carved all out of rock.....little hobbit doors going into their homes of stone. Shops etc. all in little nooks and crannies. Be sure and check out the wood carvers shop. Prices are high but he has some amazing things in there. The old men faces carved out of wood fascinated me. Also purchased my dd a beautiful hand painted French scarf there. Lilacs all over it.

That is what is so great about CC boards!! If not for you posters, I would not have atempted Eze and I'm sure would have missed a great experience. I now understand about the difference from the parking lot vs. the train stop and thus, the time difference. Any particular place there that you would recommend for lunch?

I believe there are a couple of pizza-type shops/cafes in and around the bus stop - right before you start walking up the hill. We had lunch at one of them - sorry I don't know the name, but there is stuff around that you'll see easily.

Eze itself is not bad at all especially if you take your time. Our friends did the walk between upper Eze and Eze Bord du Mare and said it was a bit rough in places. Some very cute shops there. For lunch I woudl stay in the little walled area and not the restaurants down by the bus stop as those were either more of a snack place or really expensive.

I was on a private tour, but of course next time I'll go on my own. Its definitely worth a revisit, I did not realize that the train dropped you off at the bottom of the hill.

Is there a bus from the train station that takes you up to the gated city entrance? My DH is petrified of heights, this walk would likely be too challenging on him from this perspective. We loved Eze very much and did not feel we had enough time to visit properly (slow) on the private tour, and we found a wonderful small hotel that looked delightful to stay at!

Amelia

We also loved Eze and did the walk from lower Eze up to Eze - it took us a bit over an hour. A couple half our age started the climb with us and turned back after about 15 minutes - it's definitely uphill the whole way and the path is better in some places than other places. I don't like heights, but it wasn't scary.

There is a bus from the train station (lower Eze) up to Eze but it only goes hourly (this was October so there may be more in the summer). We took the bus back down the hill and then caught the train to Monte Carlo.

Our port was Villefrance and you can take a bus from there into Nice and then the bus from Nice goes directly to Eze (upper).

We also loved Eze and did the walk from lower Eze up to Eze - it took us a bit over an hour. A couple half our age started the climb with us and turned back after about 15 minutes - it's definitely uphill the whole way and the path is better in some places than other places. I don't like heights, but it wasn't scary.

There is a bus from the train station (lower Eze) up to Eze but it only goes hourly (this was October so there may be more in the summer). We took the bus back down the hill and then caught the train to Monte Carlo.

Our port was Villefrance and you can take a bus from there into Nice and then the bus from Nice goes directly to Eze (upper).

Thanks for the info! Amelia

Thanks again for your help. If anyone has further suggestions regarding particular shops in Eze that you visited or great souvenir finds, I would be interested.

I found a wonderful perfume shop in Eze called Les Parfums de Grasse, right on the main street as you enter, I bought Patchouli and I get tons of compliments on it and I wish I would have bought more than just the roll on, which was small. Mostly from Men!

Amelia

Is there a bus from the train station that takes you up to the gated city entrance?

Yes...bus #83 on this schedule...between Eze bord de Mer (where the train station is) & Eze Village. http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/deplacement/ang/bus.htm The bus stop is at the parking area of Eze Village, so you'll still need to do the short walk up the road to the village.

Archived