Titou Gorge and Swimming

coconutball4u

I was wondering if someone could tell me about the level of swimming if one went to Titou Gorge. I am a bad swimmer, bordering on not being able to. Would I be able to participate in this excursion? Will the life belts keep my afloat enough where all I need to do is paddle?

btw planning on going with Levi.

This is talked about here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=979613

If it hasn't been raining much you might be able to paddle in a bit, but you will be swimming upstream. It's not exactly a wading pool. However, there is more than one stop on Levi's tours, so I'm sure if you can't fully enjoy this one there will be other stops you can enjoy. He offers fantastic tours, have a great trip!

The day I went with Levi to Titou Gorge not everyone did the swim. It was a bit cool and I chose not to do it as did several other people. You can still get into the water if you like but not go on the swim. It was actually great fun to watch everyone. Be sure to read the advice about footwear - I had sneakers for the hiking and Teva's for the water, but I ended up going in the hot pool at Trafalgar Falls with my sneakers on just to be sure of my footing.

Levi insists everyone wear flotation devices because he is very careful of his charges. You can just dog paddle. The current was very strong the day we went and it was difficult getting to the resting place half way. I didn't try to do the last part to see the waterfall because we couldn't go past that point anyway because of the current. The water is also very chilly. Despite all that, it was a great adventure. Levi will give you the best day of your cruise...guaranteed!

I agree with Janice, that was my experience too. I just went in Dec 2008. BRING THE WATER SHOES! I didnt have any but did it anyway. I am a great swimmer and the current was very strong when I was there, this is just my opinion and yes you can dog paddle but this is better if you are a good swimmer. Its so amazing to see and go in it. Note - do not buy the disposable water camera they convice you to buy outside thats waterproof, its $25 and b/c the gorge is dark NONE of the pictures come out since there is no flash, I was super disappointed b/c the inside was so neat, wish I had a picture of it of my own or of me in front of the waterfalls inside.

Archived