Review....5th May Cruise W813...Pacific Dawn

Our shuttle bus picked us up from home at 10.00am and we were at Wharf 8 Darling Harbour by 11.00am. We checked in our cases and went to the check in counter, and had our Cruise Cards by 11.10am. We were given group 7 for embarkation and the first group were called about 11.45am. Our group was called about 12.00 and were onboard about 10mins later.

After finding our cabin ..E180..we went to the buffet for some lunch, then we were off to show Sharon, Grah’s sister and first time cruiser, around the ship.

3.30pm was muster and by 4.00pm we were sitting up on Lido deck waiting for Sailaway, which was only about 10 mins later. We were all very excited and Sharon was very emotional. Going under the Harbour Bridge and having the horn blast

gave me goose bumps and tingling down my spine….I just love that feeling and it was fantastic to be back on the ship.

We were given some tickets (like lucky door prize) and I was lucky enough to win a ‘Pizza for two’ from the Pizzeria, which was fantastic as I usually never win anything. A couple of cocktails as well added to the ambiance.

Dinner that night was in the Palm Court Dining Room, then a few drinks in the Bengal Bar, before the ‘Welcome Aboard Show’ in the Showlounge. It had been a long long day so after a coffee (and tea) in the Coffee Shop on Deck 5, we decided to go to bed.

On the sea days we spent most of our time relaxing and going from bar to bar to have a drink or just to sit and relax…. especially in the Dome….what a great place to just watch the sea go by.

We had our ‘Meet and Greet’ in the Bengal Bar on the first sea day at 2.00pm. To put faces to the names is always special and to all the families & friends of the people we met and continued to chat with throughout the cruise it was great to cruise with you all. One of the officers from the ship turned up as did David Pepper, the CD for our cruise. A photographer also came to take pics, but as our group was a large one ….over 30 , he suggested that we all meet the next night, Formal Night, to have our photo taken on the stairs in the Atrium.

Each day we had our breakfast and lunch in the buffet and as usual there was so much yummie foods to choose from. It was really hard not to overfill ourselves, and it was so hard not to try ‘just a little bit of this’ and ‘just a little bit of that’. I think that by about ½ way through the cruise we settled into eating what our bodies needed and not what our eyes wanted. Diner was in the Palm Court Dining Room each night , except for Island Night when we ate in the Buffet.

We used the stairs as much as possible, but from deck 6 to deck 12 and 14was a long climb, so this was the only time we used the lifts.

There was always something to do, but Grah, Sharon and I really had a laid back holiday and didn’t do many of the organised activities. We went to the port and tour presentation which was very informative. We went to a few trivia sessions but we didn’t do any good…. The questions were not easy!!!! We also joined in on a Name that Tune, but no luck there either. Also we sat in on a couple of karaoke singing….some good, some not so good.

The Liar Liar show was really entertaining , with David Pepper (CD), Mike Harris (comedian) Matt Elsbury (Sit Down Comedian) and the ships doctor, Dr Colin Cameron…. who thought the ships doctor could be so funny, he was keeping right up there with the comedians.

The Pacific Cruise Fair was held in the Dome and it show cased what food, wine beer, cocktails etc that was available throughout the cruise.

Another not to miss presentation was the Virtual Bridge tour with First Officer Chris Cooper. This went for about an hour and he told so much about the working of the bridge as well as the rest of the ship. The facts and figures he quoted were amazing.

While sitting in the Dome we watched a lot of dancing classes, and Sharon joined in a few times. The Dome gets used so much during the day, and I have to wander what areas they will use when the Pacific Jewel comes to Sydney.

Sharon went to the culinary demonstration and the kitchen tour, which she enjoyed and Sharon and I did the Meet the Cast and Backstage tour….which was really interesting. We got to meet all the Pacific Dawn Entertainers and ask questions. It is amazing how it all works out the back…. not much room. .

We also went to a sea horse race, the navigational chart auction (which went for $300) and to Bingo on the last day only. The snowball jackpot was over $12,000….we didn’t win …was planning on booking another cruise if we did.

ENTERTAINMENT

We found the entertainment to be once again excellent. The Pacific Dawn Entertainers performed in the Welcome Aboard Show (along with a snippet of each of the guest entertainers for the cruise). Other shows were:

Motor City

Outback Country

Pirates of the Pacific

Starry Starry Night

Boogie Shoes

The Guest Entertainers were Comedian Mike Harris, Singer (Crooner) Paul Griffith

Vocalist and Instrumentalist Hayden Smith… all 3 of these performers were on our last cruise in Sept also…and Comedian/Singer Maggie Scott.

We did not miss a show and thought they were all great.

I must not forget to mention the Pacific Showband who accompanied every night in the Showlounge. Great music to listen to, before each show as well.

Also on board were Pacific Cirque performers Kyle and Hazel, jugglers, both of whom were excellent in their craft. Hazel can do amazing thing with her feet!!!!!

Although we did not get to see either of the Sit Down Comedy Club performances...one by Matt Elsbury and the other by Demo Simis (we think he boarded at Vila) we were told that they both were very funny.

There was other great entertainment throughout the ship. In the Bengal Bar every night was Randon Lauron, a fantastic singer, and if you closed your eyes you would have sworn it was the original artist…Cat Stevens, John Denver, Billy Joel, Beatles, KC and the Sunshine Band, and many more .He had quite a following.

In the Promanade Bar was Jesse Banez, a wonderful piano player, and in the Dome and Lido Deck was the band Dekada performed. I did not think this band was as good as the band on our Sept cruise…The Elements. The female singer sounded as if she was screaming, and was rather hard on the ears. The male singer’s voice was good, but he didn’t sing solo enough.

I nearly forgot the Laser light show. This is a new to P&O and at this stage is only on the Pacific Dawn. It is set up on the Atrium on all levels...5, 6and 7 and is a spectacular sight to see. After most lights are turned off the laser lights bounce around the area in wonderful patterns and colours. This is a must see if you are on Pacific Dawn.

On the 2nd last night of the cruise they had the Baked Alaska Parade and the Champagne Waterfall in the Atrium, along with the last of the laser light shows. The waiters walked around the around the atrium on the Promenade level then down to the Emerald deck again walking right around the atrium before going down the main stairs into the Plaza deck where they stopped and held their Baked Alaska’s high.. It was then they started the Laser Light show and when that finished, the Champagne Waterfall was ready to start flowing…..very impressive…although a little crowded. Sharon was standing in the right place at the right time and David Pepper grabbed her arm and took her up the stairs to be the first person to add champagne to the waterfall. This really made her night and she was very excited.

Attached photos are:

1. Meet and Greet in Bengal Bar

2. Laser Light Show

3. Sharon and I enjoying a cocktail on Mothers day.

1721839166_Cruise1.jpg.2e5277cc4eecaff3d2cb86d47630bb1b.jpg

1363733865_Cruise2.jpg.ac21b4c1911795b1316fa277788a54e2.jpg

57483857_Cruise3.jpg.cdd54c96beab300dea441adfba96c33b.jpg

Marg

Loved your review, it brought back many good memories for me from our cruise which was just before yours. You were right about the entertainers, we really enjoyed them too. Looking forward to any further reviews that you have to write on your cruise.

Regards

Alan

Great reveiw Marg.

I loved the laser shows on board. the only show that I did not enjoy was the one by Maggie Scott, although there were funny bits in it. I could not work out why the person behind my was almost peeing her pants.

Archived