Formal nights on Princess

Cool seas

If you follow Princess' suggestions, you will feel comfortable that your dress is appropriate.

Formal Evenings:Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

What's a dinner jacket? Is it a sports coat?

Why is it that those of us who enjoy formal nights are referred to as "fashion police" and "sheep" for merely stating what formal night is SUPPOSED to be about?

Perhaps I've read too much cruise history by John Maxtone-Graham, but I don't see what's wrong with holding on to at least a bit of tradition when on a cruise. I'm looking foward to 3 formal nights. :)

I do not view people who dress for formal night and have fun as fashion police. I hope you have a blast. :D

I do view people who want to control how casual cruisers dress on formal night as fashion police. It is really none of their business, it is between me and Princess and Princess could care less (you know they rent the ship for clothing optional cruises).

Can you show me where Princess cruises says formal dress is optional in the dining room on formal nights?

Easy, in the cruise answer book where it says "Clothing Suggestions" and not dress requirement or dress code. If jacket or tux was mandatory, then the cruise answer book would be worded differently.

From Dictionary.com:

Suggest - To mention or introduce (an idea, proposition, plan, etc.) for consideration or possible action.

Require - That which is required; a thing demanded or obligatory.

This is a never ending argument. There will always be those in this "Me Generation" that have this "I can do anything I damn well please attitude", however those are in the minority. I will tell you one thing about formal night. Those not conforming to the suggested dress code will NOT be sitting at my table. And for those certain posters here that keep flaunting the dress code and passing misinformation, if you ever sail on any of my cruises, I will make sure you won't be sitting anywhere near my table.. :rolleyes:

Easy, in the cruise answer book where it says "Clothing Suggestions" and not dress requirement or dress code. If jacket or tux was mandatory, then the cruise answer book would be worded differently.

From Dictionary.com:

Suggest - To mention or introduce (an idea, proposition, plan, etc.) for consideration or possible action.

Require - That which is required; a thing demanded or obligatory.

My Cruise answer book does not have a section that says suggestions for clothing.

Page 10 of the answer book says, and I quote: "There are two designations for dress codes: Smart casual and Formal.

Smart Casual evenings: Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home. Skirts/dresses,slacks and sweaters for ladies.

Pants and open neck shirts for men.

Formal evenings: Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

Tuxedo,slacks with dinner jacket or suits for men.

Guests who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our casual dining options."

All the above is quoted from the cruise answer book. Why do you insist on not telling the truth?

This is a never ending argument. There will always be those in this "Me Generation" that have this "I can do anything I damn well please attitude", however those are in the minority. I will tell you one thing about formal night. Those not conforming to the suggested dress code will NOT be sitting at my table. And for those certain posters here that keep flaunting the dress code and passing misinformation, if you ever sail on any of my cruises, I will make sure you won't be sitting anywhere near my table.. :rolleyes:

And this power is vested in you by whom?

If you think you can unseat me from a table that Princess has placed me to have dinner you are severely over estimating your authority (especially since you have no authority :rolleyes:)

It does not matter if Princess does not care how I am dressed or if they think I am an unlucky person with lost luggage. Princess is not going to turn control of the MDR over to you.

There are always at least a handful of us casual cruisers present on formal night. From what I can see we casual cruisers are increasing and the tuxes are declining rapidly. Trust me Princess sees this inevitable trend continuing and the casual crowd is growing.

Why is it that those of us who enjoy formal nights are referred to as "fashion police" and "sheep" for merely stating what formal night is SUPPOSED to be about?

Perhaps I've read too much cruise history by John Maxtone-Graham, but I don't see what's wrong with holding on to at least a bit of tradition when on a cruise. I'm looking foward to 3 formal nights. :)

No one is denying you a thing. Dress as formal as you wish.

I guess you'll be moving if I'm there as I certainly won't be if I like my spot. Which ship will you be sailing next? Maybe I can sail together & we can discuss the dress code over dinner. :rolleyes:;)

My Cruise answer book does not have a section that says suggestions for clothing.

Page 10 of the answer book says, and I quote: "There are two designations for dress codes: Smart casual and Formal.

Smart Casual evenings: Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home. Skirts/dresses,slacks and sweaters for ladies.

Guests who wish to have a casual dinner I don't think so. :D on formal nights can take advantage of our casual dining options."

All the above is quoted from the cruise answer book. Why do you insist on not telling the truth?

It's not a matter of telling the truth, it's a matter of simply letting people know what the reality of the situation is & let them make a decision for themselves. Sure most people do dress but it's not a hard & fast requirement the way you make it out to be.

I like having the better food on formal evenings or any other for that matter & won't be banned to the buffet just because of my attire. I like dining in my Golf shirt (even on formal evenings) & if those around me get offended, please look the other way. I dress for pleasing myself & not the others whom I couldn't care less about. If those people need more formality they should look to the dressier cruise lines like Cunard for their enjoyment and they can dress to impress their table mates every evening.

This argument is really pretty hysterical.

I personally choose to conform and wear a coat and tie on formal nights because I have found that I occasionally enjoy playing "dress up" with other folks, and the cruise ship dining rooms always look especially nice when folks are dressed up.

On the other hand, if people are getting bent out of shape on their vacations because of what other folks are wearing, they really need to get some help. Perhaps in time, they can learn to relax enough on their vacations so that they no longer let the fashion choices of others bother them.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to play dress up on YOUR vacation, or if you want to wear a T-shirt and jeans on YOUR vacation, you just go right ahead.

But if you want to be upset about what others are wearing, please don't sit at my table. I'd just have to make fun of you.;)

Guests who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our casual dining options."

Go to the Princess website and open the PDF of the Cruise Answer Book, I bet they have the most current version there. On page 14 (which is the beginning of the section you quoted, convenient to leave parts out) it says "CLOTHING SUGGESTIONS" and then goes on to cover all of the sections between pages 14 and 15. No where in the part that you selectively quoted, or any other area of the book does it say dress code or requirement. It says suggestion, which means just that.

Go to the Princess website and open the PDF of the Cruise Answer Book, I bet they have the most current version there. On page 14 (which is the beginning of the section you quoted, convenient to leave parts out) it says "CLOTHING SUGGESTIONS" and then goes on to cover all of the sections between pages 14 and 15. No where in the part that you selectively quoted, or any other area of the book does it say dress code or requirement. It says suggestion, which means just that.

Copied from Answer book on line:

Clothing Suggestions

You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort. Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates. See weather.com for the latest weather information on the region you are visiting. We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

The Climate

Visit FAQs for a list of worldwide high-low daytime temperatures by destination to help you plan for your cruise vacation. This list will help you to decide what type of clothing to bring on your Princess cruise.

Onboard Attire

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal Evenings:

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Princess offers formal wear rental on all cruises; this can be arranged prior to embarkation. Please review the section entitled: formal wear. See below for a general evening attire schedule.

LENGTH OF CRUISE NUMBER OF FORMAL EVENINGS NUMBER OF SMART CASUAL EVENINGS

3-6 Days 1 1-5

7-13 Days 2 5-11

14-20 Days 3 11-17

21-28 Days 4 17-24

29 Days+ 5 minimum 24+

Dress code is subject to change with the ship's itinerary. The above is a general guide. The dress code suggested in the Princess Patter may vary from time to time.

Learn Cruise Answer Place

Suggestions were for daytime. Codes were for dining.:D

I like having the better food on formal evenings or any other for that matter & won't be banned to the buffet just because of my attire. I like dining in my Golf shirt (even on formal evenings) & if those around me get offended, please look the other way. I dress for pleasing myself & not the others whom I couldn't care less about. If those people need more formality they should look to the dressier cruise lines like Cunard for their enjoyment and they can dress to impress their table mates every evening.

Princess has formal nights. Why should we move?

If you came to the MDR dressed like you were going to the beach and it was a formal night I would object to you presence. I would then ask the MDR head waiter to ask you to leave. I would tell them your welcome to the buffet but not the MDR dressed like the way you described.

If everyone just minded their own business, no one would need to move, everyone could dress as they pleased, and all would be happy. Or if you prefer to be unhappy, just continue to upset yourself over whether others conform to the suggested dress code. Your vacation, your choice.

By the way, did it ever occur to anyone that one of the purposes of having 2 formal nights (and including tuxedos in the suggested attire) might be the additional revenue from tuxedo rentals?

Isn't this just a simple matter of courtesy, politeness and manners? If you know it's a cruise, and it's formal night, and they request a certain dress code, then it's just common courtesy to abide by it. Heck, formal night isn't *truly* even "formal" anymore. Just be a man and dress nicely for goodness sake.

I don't know. I think a few good manners and some common courtesy and respect go a long way. I don't understand all the rebellion. I will re-iterate that on our recent cruise, we didn't see even one person that didn't in some way try to adhere to some kind of dress code on at least the formal nights.

Would I think horrible things of someone next to us wasn't following the "CODE"...no way. Would I engage them in dinner conversation? Of course!!! However, as for me and my house, we were just raised to be courteous and respectful of such things as these and I just think it boils down to a little courtesy and a few good manners.

Don't worry too much about it. I have seen tacky "mother of the bride" leftovers from weddings past to smart pants suits. I pack one pair of black slacks to be worn with comfortable "strapy" low heels, a dressy light purple jacket that is worn one time open with a black shell and another time closed. In both casses the earrings and necklace dress it up. If you have a Chico's womens store close by you can find many choices of bling to jazzup any outfit.

By the way, did it ever occur to anyone that one of the purposes of having 2 formal nights (and including tuxedos in the suggested attire) might be the additional revenue from tuxedo rentals?

You're probably right! I don't understand why they need to have TWO for a 7 night cruise. We had one Sunday, and then another Wednesday. That makes for an optional SIXTEEN photo sitting opportunities ie: more pic sales perhaps? More formal rentals?...and more dry lobster for us to eat. ;)

You're probably right! I don't understand why they need to have TWO for a 7 night cruise. We had one Sunday, and then another Wednesday. That makes for an optional SIXTEEN photo sitting opportunities ie: more pic sales perhaps? More formal rentals?...and more dry lobster for us to eat. ;)

Lets not forget the extra special wine sales & after dinner drinks. They sell at least twice as many on formal nights.

I agree with you that it is suggested attire

I also agree with anyone who thinks it is ambiguous. I think Princess intends their formal night attire guidelines to be ambiguous.

It is not what is printed that is important though it is how it is actually handled on the ships. On the ships they simply let men in long sleeve shirts attend formal night dining in the MDR no questions asked.

For decades Princess has been seating those with lost luggage in what ever they have left to salvage their cruise with. This is the back door so casual cruisers can be assured a seat in the MDR on formal night.

Hi Everyone !

As the question has been asked and answered... and the thread has turned to personal & rude comments, this thread is now closed.

Archived