A few questions about booking an Oceania cruise...

cribdink

Hi,

I'd like to book an Oceania cruise for 2011 for my mother's birthday.

Should I book once the itineraries come out or should I wait in order to get the best deal?

Also, do travel agents generally have deeper discounts for Oceania than the actual cruise line?

In my research I've noticed that the cruise line has the same or better prices than the travel agents (I could be wrong). Appreciate any input.

"Should I book once the itineraries come out or should I wait in order to get the best deal? "

If you want a particular category of cabin, you should book it as soon as it's available. The Owner's and Vista Suites and the inside Cat G seem to be booked first. Of course, the economy has thrown that off. If Oceania later puts your cruise on sale, your agent can get the price adjusted.

"Also, do travel agents generally have deeper discounts for Oceania than the actual cruise line? "

When Oceania first opens the books on a cruise, they sometime offer On Board Credits and/or Prepaid Gratuities. Travel agents sometimes offer a modest price discount and a larger OBC, or perhaps a bottle of wine, etc. Of course, this comes out of their commission.

Until recently, most Oceania cruises sold lout quickly by virtue of their discount pricing strategy. They offer 2 for 1 for a specific period, then the discount drops to 40 % and so on. Other lines have last minute sales to fill the vessel while Oceania's craft are usually full. So waiting for a sale may not be prudent. There are lots of posts in other threads as to why Oceania sailing with a full complement of passengers has not been the normal case lately. I understand that some travel agency chains prepurchase cabins on some cruises and get a volume discount which they may (or may not) pass onto their customers. I can't tell you which chains those might be, only that it was my experience with my first Oceania cruise in '06 and it may no longer be the case. The previous post about free gratuities and cabin credits along with wine from the travel agency (not Oceania) has also been my experience.

Happy sails

Conan

I wuld echo what conan said. If you want to go, book early. I would book through a TA that does a lot of bookings with Oceania. They usually stay on top of fare reductions and can get you refunds for the difference. There are just not that many cabins/suites on Oceania's ships. It isn't difficult even in this economy for them to fill their ships. Plus, they do the 2 for 1 rates and many times free airfare when you book early. When my partner and I sailed on Regatta in 2008, we met people that had paid full fare or almost full fare!:eek:

I wuld echo what conan said. If you want to go, book early. I would book through a TA that does a lot of bookings with Oceania. They usually stay on top of fare reductions and can get you refunds for the difference. There are just not that many cabins/suites on Oceania's ships. It isn't difficult even in this economy for them to fill their ships. Plus, they do the 2 for 1 rates and many times free airfare when you book early. When my partner and I sailed on Regatta in 2008, we met people that had paid full fare or almost full fare!:eek:

Does anyone know how the "free air" works? Do they use a charter? We did that with their predecessor on Ren I in 2000 and it was HORRID! We are looking at the 2010 list offering 2 for I rates plus "free air". Also does anyone know of a well Oceania connected TA?

Does anyone know how the "free air" works? Do they use a charter? We did that with their predecessor on Ren I in 2000 and it was HORRID! We are looking at the 2010 list offering 2 for I rates plus "free air". Also does anyone know of a well Oceania connected TA?

First, the "free" air is not really free. They give you a price reduction if you do not use their "free" air. Also, on the air there is typically taxes and fees added on. Ask for bottom line prices with and without air. Then compare that to the air that you can get yourself.

They do not use a charter but use commercial airlines. The problem is that you do not have a choice on the flights unless you pay for an "air deviation", which costs extra.

As for a "well connected" TA, it all depends on what you are looking for. We tried to use one of the "well connected" TA's and it was a real problem. They gave us incorrect pricing and would not honor the price that they quoted. If you know what you want and are comfortable making all your own arrangements, including the flights etc., then use the internet to "compete" the price. That is what we currently do. We have found that we can get an 8-10% discount off the Oceania web prices.

Again, it all depends on how much help you expect.

Sometimes paying the $75 deviation fee is worth the cost to ensure the flights you want. The air fare from Oceania is usually less than you can arrange for yourself unless you have copious airmiles. There is also a fare differential to consider. Flights to a particular port will vary on different days of the week because of demand, and there are prescribed numbers of seats assigned to each class of service (this is why you may pay $300 less for a seat in economy than the person sitting next to you). If the flight that you prefer on the same airline, time of day etc is higher than that which Oceania would arrange on your embarcation day is higher, you pay this differential. It may be minimal, or not.

Archived