Urgent

2009lawyer

What happens if on disembarking day your credit card for some reason doesn't go through and you have no cash left on you???

Interesting question. Personally, we take two different CC's just in case one has a problem. But I have never heard of someone boarding a ship that has no cash or travelers checks with them.

My guess, if they had no cash and no valid credit card, they would be denied boarding. Just a guess though!

On other cruiselines if you can't pay for your onboard charges the last day, they allow you to make phone calls to see if someone else will pay for it (like use a credit card over the phone). If you can't find someone, then they require you to sign a personal loan before you are allowed off the ship.

On other cruiselines if you can't pay for your onboard charges the last day, they allow you to make phone calls to see if someone else will pay for it (like use a credit card over the phone). If you can't find someone, then they require you to sign a personal loan before you are allowed off the ship.

But what about when boarding?

I thought that the cruise line obtained a pre authorization from the credit card company.

You can always go to the Purser's Desk during the cruise and ask for a copy of your charges and apply some cash to it if you are worried about exceeding a limit on your credit card.

You can also do a cash account on board. I believe it requires $300 in cash on the first day.

But what about when boarding?

Well that's not what the OP asked. But since you asked, you don't have to have a credit card to secure your onboard account. If you want to secure it with cash, you just have to make a deposit with cash. Even if you do use a credit card at the beginning of the cruise, that does not guarantee that it will have enough of a limit to cover your charges onboard the ship OR that it won't be declined for some reason you can't control.

And I have encountered people that did not have enough cash to cover the charges left on their account when their credit card was declined/reached its limit.

I thought that the cruise line obtained a pre authorization from the credit card company.

They do but that just ensures that it is actually a valid credit card. It does not mean that you will have enough of a limit to cover all your charges on the cruise.

So in the WORST scenarion: CC limit exceeded and no cash left

what can one do? What does the Purser's office do?

I get my pay June 10th directly deposited into my bankaccount, BUT JUNE 10th is disembarking day and I'd have to then get up around 6amish and transfer the direct desposit into my CC which is instant....

Basically I put aside $1300 on my credit card and I'm worried that if I spend lets say $1400 from my CC on excursions and have no cash left, then what???!!?!? What is this personal loan?

Just keep an eye on your shipboard charges. Every few days go to the purser's desk and ask for a read out for your stateroom.

As said, you can also add cash to your onboard account to bring it down to the level you have available.

I have never heard of this 'personal loan' thing on Princess, and I am not sure I would count on it. You are asking for a lot of headaches onboard if you can't pay off your account, and a lot of time standing at the purser's desk. Just be careful what you spend, or leave more on your credit card to be charged.

Well that's not what the OP asked. But since you asked, you don't have to have a credit card to secure your onboard account. If you want to secure it with cash, you just have to make a deposit with cash. Even if you do use a credit card at the beginning of the cruise, that does not guarantee that it will have enough of a limit to cover your charges onboard the ship OR that it won't be declined for some reason you can't control.

And I have encountered people that did not have enough cash to cover the charges left on their account when their credit card was declined/reached its limit.

Your correct, I read the OP incorrectly. My apology!

Basically I put aside $1300 on my credit card and I'm worried that if I spend lets say $1400 from my CC on excursions and have no cash left, then what???!!?!? What is this personal loan?

When and where are you cruising? You can save money by booking excursions privately. Check out the Ports of Call board on the main page. Also, if you join your Roll Call, others in your group may have private tours arranged that you can join in on and split/share the cost. Sometimes there are tours right on the pier that you can choose.

Princess allows you to bring on wine/champagne, water and soda which is another cost savings.

Have you called your credit card company to ask what they would do in that situation (slightly over the credit limit)?

Oh, by the way, Welcome to CC!!:)

Thanks

This is my 2nd cruise.

I went last year to a 23 day one to Latin America with Princess...now going on Crown on May 29th for 12 days to Europe.

Here is your roll call link. Pop on over and say hello. If you have time, read through the posts and see what others are doing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=797581

Enjoy your cruise! The Crown is a great ship!

The lines at the Purser's Desk on the last full cruise day and morning of departure are long so be prepared. I think you can do that, I've always had it charged to my credit card. Maybe consider paying down your balance to say under $100 and then the ship can charge the small balance. Do you have any OBC's (on board credits by your TA)? Those are always helpful.

If you plan to cruise on Princess again within the next 4 years, and have the funds, buy a Future Cruise Credit while on board the Crown. They cost $100 and when you want to book your next cruise, it's used as the deposit. You also get an OBC (amount varies by type of stateroom). You have 4 years to use it.

My sisters CC was declined upon the morning of disembarkation. Fortunately, she had another one with her, that went through. She could not understand the problem, as she had ten thousand dollars unused credit on the first card. She called them when she got home, and it was declined because she notified them before she left for her cruise, that she would be out of the country. (it was a Caribbean cruise) The charges of course, were from Princess in California, and the CC company denied it, as they were not out of the country charges.

I have $75 on board credits...well basically I am charging it on my CCard but was worried what if it went overboard and if I ran out of cash. Hopefully the ship will allow me to pay in cash and with CC, split the costs.

On one previous trip, I was traveling with my brother and his family. While he had plenty of credit, he did a large amount of shopping inthe caribbean. He was subject to additional Customs....They do would not accept credit cards or checks, and I am not sure what they would have finally done, but like a good brother I made him a loan!

I doubt Princess woudl take a CANADIAN DEBIT CARD...correct me if I am wrong....I get paid on JUNE 10th, at midnight EASTERN TIME, which is 6am JUNE 10th ROME TIME, so I have to then at 6am TRANSFER my money through online banking....gonna be a hassle but shoudl be doable!

I have $75 on board credits...well basically I am charging it on my CCard but was worried what if it went overboard and if I ran out of cash. Hopefully the ship will allow me to pay in cash and with CC, split the costs.

Yes, you can pay part of your onboard account with a credit card and part of it with cash.

don't sweat all credit card companies allow you so much percentage over your limit.that's why on your statement they have a over limit charge.what the credit card companies really dont want you to know unless you ask is how much you can go over its usually like 30% of your limit.thats how they make extra money so if your limit is say like $2,000dol they may let you go over like $600dol,but keep in mind you are going to be charge like 25% intrest for going over your limit.so dont sweat they want you to go over thats how they make they make more mony.I suggest you call your credit card company and see whats their over the limit fee and how much percentage they allow you to go over.:cool:

Archived