Tortola, Grenada, Curacao, Aruba on Millie

teacher_md

Looking at a cruise on the Celebrity Millennium for my Spring Break next year because my partner has never been on Celebrity and I've never been to these 4 ports of call (Tortola, Grenada, Curacao, and Aruba).

I was on the Celebrity Century years ago and found it to be the most upscale ship I've been on. How does the Millennium compare? Also, how are these four ports of call? I know I'm not on the designated ports of call area, but any help would be appreciated. We are pretty much for any kind of excursions - snorkeling, beach, sightseeing, hiking.

Thanks!

-aj

If you are beach people, you will enjoy Grand Anse, by water taxi. Also, you will enjoy Eagle beach at Aruba. You may travel on an #10 Arubus for $2.30, pp, roundtrip; and, it drops you off right at the beach. Or, you can stay on the bus and it drops you off at Palm beach.

The Millinnium is larger than the Century but also very nice.

Most hikes in Grenada are strenouous. The Seven Sisters hike is fine, except it involves a lot of climbing up and down rock stairs and stepping from one rock to another over a stream. The Sari Sari Falls is very strenuous from what I heard from other passengers who nicknamed it Sorry Sorry Falls. I have not heard about the Middleham Falls hike from anyone but it might be similar to the Seven Sisters hike and less strenuous than Sari Sari. There is another short hike which is very easy, but you only get a couple easy miles of walking and a dip in the falls.

If you like to cook, visit the spice market in Grenada near the cruise terminal. Also there is a fort near the terminal which you can climb the stairs up the hill to reach. Grenada is lovely and worth a tour of the island too.

In Tortola you can do two hikes easily. One is Sage Mountain Hike & Snorkel. The hike is relatively easy. You can also go to Virgin Gorda and if you want you can snokel at the beach or hike on the trails. We did the latter and it was lovely. The hike is easy. When I say easy, there are people who had trouble getting down then up the stairs to & from the beach, but the trails around the park are very nice and Virgin Gorda is spectacular. However, the beach can be quite crowded.

In Curacao and Aruba, there are beaches, but you can also get a mini bus that takes you around the islands for around $15-$20 for 1/2 day. You'll see the buses outside the cruise terminal. These two ports are nice for just walking around the port too and enjoying the Dutch architecture. Also in Tortola you can get a mini bus for $20 for 1/2 day. We took the tour with Pirates of the Caribbean. We were lucky enough to get the owner of the company who drove and led the tour and it was a fantastic tour. I highly recomment him. I'll see if I can find his name and confirm the name of the company.

You'll enjoy these ports.

Kathy

Thanks Jack and Kathy for the information. The itinerary for this cruise is really great because it combines some the ports I like a lot (St. Lucia and St. Martin) with four more that I haven't been on.

The hiking in Grenada sounds fantastic! Thanks for the other recommendations. I am also looking at an RCI Central American cruise at the same time period and trying to decide between the two. Would really like to take an excursion into the Panama Canal. The Jewel of the Seas sounds like a fantastic ship as well. It will probably come down to pricing - which cruise is more affordable. Like I said before, my partner would really like the Celebrity treatment!

- aj

aruba

jolley rogers for snorkle-something like that

grenada- you can snorkel or hike

tortola

baths of VG or beach

stop at pussers fro lunch. also shop at Sunny carribbe for spices. super spice-yum!!

I visited these ports with my 19 yo son last January on the Galaxy. We enjoyed them all.

In Tortola we took Speedy's Ferry http://www.speedysbvi.com/ to Virgin Gorda and the Baths. This is a can't miss. We had a leisurely breakfast on the ship and then took the 10:30 ferry, arriving at the Baths about an hour later, just as the large groups from the ships' tours were departing. Spent an hour or so there and then hiked through the boulders to Devil's bay, which turned out to be a perfect Caribbean beach. It was a secluded cove with fine sand, crystal clear blue water, sailboats anchored offshore, and another island visible on the horizon. We returned on the 3:30 ferry and had enough time to stop at Pusser's for a drink before walking back to the ship. A perfect day that I highly recommend you try.

In Grenada I joined a group on A&E Tours Best of Nature Tour. http://www.grenadaguide.com/aetours/halfday.htm It wasn't exactly as described on the web site, but it was a good introduction to this island's highlights. A minivan picked us up at the dock. We then drove to a small spice shop where we were shown the 3 different parts of the Nutmeg and, of course, encouraged but not pestered to buy some. The view back to the harbor was stunning even though we were only part way up the mountain. We then continued to Annandale Falls, Grand Etang Rain Forest (took the hike to the viewpoint), Richmond Hill (another stunning view of the harbor and the beaches on the southeast shore of the island, more interesting than the fort), a rum distillery where we could taste (and of course purchase) different varieties, and finally the southern part of Grand Anse beach. Had I realized how nice this beach is, I would have stayed there for the afternoon and taken the water taxi back to the ship. Instead, we drove back to the ship through the town and then I took the water taxi back later in the afternoon. Definitely go to this beach -- if you want it more secluded than where the water taxis land, just walk south until you find your perfect spot. Take the tour of the island if you also like that sort of thing -- there's time for both. Or you could hike to Seven Sister Waterfalls in the morning and then go to the beach in the afternoon.

In Curacao we did the Jewish Heritage Tour offered by the ship and then I took a taxi to Prosail Curacao http://www.prosailcuracao.com/indexeng.htm where I rented a sunfish for a couple of hours. A perfect combination for me because it matched my interests, your interests may vary.

In Aruba we did the TomCar Off-Road excursion. http://www.arubaoffroad.com/ This was awesome! You'll have a great time, just make sure you agree to take turns driving so you can share the fun. See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=910081 for a detailed review. Much better than the tour bus, rental car, or jeep.

Have a great cruise.

We really enjoy snorkeling, either from land or an excursion - although boating excursions tend to be a bit better at times. A second interest would be just hanging out at a beach enjoying some drinks and local seafood - and if you can combine decent snorkeling with good local eating and drinking then all the better. General touring isn't our think in most cases.

Some of the ports you mention are among our favorites.

Grenada - we've been there twice and both times spent the day at the Aquarium restaurant (an open air restaurant and beach bar) on Magazine beach. It is generally fairly quiet and not as busy as grand anse and doesn't have quite the issue with competing vendors trying to sell you stuff as at Grand Anse. They have OK snorkeling there too.

Curacao - we've been to two very nice beaches - Kontiki Beach and Playa Porto Mari. Both are wonderful but we didn't spend as much time at Kintiki so didn't get to know it as well. Our biggest mistake was leaving Playa Porto Mari early afternoon to make it back in time to walk through the pretty downtown area - while it was pretty we really wish we'd spent the additional hour or two at the beach - great snorkeling at Playa Porto Mari - good food at both with Kontiki food being a little more upscale.

Tortola - We love Cane Garden Bay just cause it is so pretty and there are some nice bars and restaurants there. They make some of the best rum drinks in the world in Tortola - try a Painkiller for me please! Last trip we spent part of the day at Brewer's beach which is known for great snorkeling but the conditions there were poor that day. Some friends went on a private snorkeling/sailing tour with an outfit called Patouche which included stops at Norman Island and some other places. They had a wonderful time and had fantastic snorkeling and we'll try that the next time we go to Tortola.

Aruba - Great beaches but a pretty busy island. Enjoy time on Eagle Beach by one of the hotels, just ask the cab driver. Or take a sailing/snorkeling excursion through the ship, or privately, on the MiDushi or the Jolly Pirates - both operate very fun tours on old time schooners and do more or less similar sailing/snorkeling/lunch/drinking trips. Lots of fun. There are other nice beaches on this wonderful island too - but overall Aruba is a bit more developed than other islands - at least the beach areas.

Follow the links for my photo site below and look at the Galaxy Cruises in 2007 and 2008 - which is the itinerary now being done by the Millennium.

Hi, guys,

I need advice. My sister and I will be taking our 84 year old mother on the Millennium on the ten day Caribbean in November. We would like to go to the beach but it needs be one where we can rent chairs and umbrellas so she will be comfortable while we potentially play in the water.

Any suggestions as to pretty beaches where Norma can sit and enjoy while we play?

Thanks in advance.

fern

Hi, guys,

I need advice. My sister and I will be taking our 84 year old mother on the Millennium on the ten day Caribbean in November. We would like to go to the beach but it needs be one where we can rent chairs and umbrellas so she will be comfortable while we potentially play in the water.

Any suggestions as to pretty beaches where Norma can sit and enjoy while we play?

Thanks in advance.

fern

as far as i know you can rent chairs anywhere. threy run about 10.00 dollars per chair

Hi also a teacher and looking at March 26 cruise date for me and wife...Been to most of the islands and they are super with all you want to do whether its shop beach or adventure......

Onlly been on century for 25th anniv...so donr know the M-class ships. Diamaond memebr RCCL

Look forward to seeing other teachers on board

john

2 oz Pusser’s Rum - or any good golden rum.

4 oz pineapple juice

1 oz cream of coconut – NOT Coconut milk it’s called either coconut cream or cream of coconut

1 oz orange juice

Put them in a shaker and shake well, serve over ice and sprinkle a dash of nutmeg.

mmm mmmm good!

Archived