Baltic capitals on Balmoral july 5th

stevesmum

I am going on this cruise, my first and on my own! Feeling slightly apprensive as it gets nearer. My main concern is excursions in St Petersburg-FO has just informed we will not get details of these until 2 weeks before we leave. I have looked at the excursions on the web site but am not sure how they fit together for a 2 day stay. Do all trips happen on both days? we are there saturday/ Sunday. I would be interested in trying an independent operator but am not confident to arrange this myself. Wondered if anyone has any advice?

Hi Stevesmum, if you go independant in ST. Petes you will need an individual visa from the Russian Embassy ,when I was on Balmoral last July to St. Petes ,I did Peterhof the first day ,afternoon tour and Catherines Palace next day ,morning tour.

Peterhof was an easy tour but Catherines Palace was very slow getting in the palace and then a quick walk through ,saw everything but very rushed and extremely crowded.

Don,t worry about going on your own on the cruise ,go to the singles meets and you will meet other people also on there own ,not necessarily single but traveling on their own.

Most of all enjoy ,Freds ships are friendly places.:)

Thanks for your encouragement merecat. I am prepared to be exhausted in St Petersburg - I don't expect to pass that way again. When I said I would like to travel independently I actually meant with a private travel company like denrus not on my own. I have read a lot about these companies and they seem to offer a more individual experience in a smaller group. Is anyone out there travelling on this trip?

• 1 month later...

Hi Stevesmum, we were in St Petes a couple of weeks ago on the Jewel of the Seas and we did the 2 day value tour with Denrus.It was excellent value for money( $299 )and you got to see all the 'must' sees. You can contact them by e mail and they are quick to reply,they also sort out your russian visa which is included in the price.Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Jimphil

I had a wonderful time on my cruise to the Baltics aboard Balmoral. I found no problem being on my own but I am used to my own company since my husband died. There was a singles meet organised at the beginning of the cruise which I went to but it didn't really lead me follow any contacts up. I ate in the main restaurant each evening at my allotted table and got to know my fellow diners so I could at least identify them by name when we met around the ship. I think this is a plus point over open dining which I understand some ships operate. I do however know that three women travelling on their own as first time cruisers said they would never do it again. You need to do your homework and find out exactly what to expect and which is the right cruise ship for you. You also need to be either very sociable or content with your own company and to enjoy being waited on and having no responsibilities. Lets face it when you have been widowed this has got to be something to relish. If you need to be needed a cruise is not the thing for you!

I say go for it if it feels right for you.

Best wishes

Archived